Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Blood test results came back. we just got home from the doc.

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:17 PM
  • 31 Replies

His thyroid was high, i expected that. i told her i stoped taking my thyroid meds and she said good.

his calcium was high, shes worried that this paired with his chin being slightly pushed back might indicate something genetic and wants me to test for it after we move because testing can take a month to come back.

he gained two pounds in the past two weeks she said thats good.

iron was low, but she said it wasnt low enough to cause concern.

celiac test was negative but i know that is famous for being inaccurate and i still strongly believe he has it.

his cell count was high, but he had just been sick. 

we are repeating the test in a week.

im so worried that he might have permanent damage. i wish i just gave him formula sooner. im so worried i want to vomit and i cant stop crying. :( i feel like a terrible mother. she said it was ok to continue to breastfeed as long as i supplement with the sns, wants me to keep a diary of his feeds.

im not sure what all this means exactly. she said developmentally hes doing well, but hes not exactly sitting unassisted yet but she said that is ok that he still has some time to meet that milestone because its from 6-9 months, and that his bones were probably having trouble forming but he is bouncing back now. she thinks we fixed everything just in time. she says its not likely he has any permanent damage because of how  quickly he bounced back and how he is developmentally but we wont know for sure until later, but she doesnt think so.

:-/

____________________________________________________________________________________

Non-vaccinating, breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, cloth diapering, attachment parenting, anti-CIO,  crunchy momma of one happy little baby boy. :)

by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BoxxyBabee
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 3:04 PM
Permanent damage from what?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jjchick75
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 3:09 PM

I don't see what starting formula earlier would have changed about anything... 

tarakay0417
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 3:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I am lost. What is going on?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LucyHourglass
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 3:35 PM

not having enough nutrients

Quoting BoxxyBabee:

Permanent damage from what?

____________________________________________________________________________________

Non-vaccinating, breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, cloth diapering, attachment parenting, anti-CIO,  crunchy momma of one happy little baby boy. :)

LucyHourglass
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 3:37 PM

im honestly not even entirely sure, basically his thyroid was too high from my meds and he might have some genetic disease that she wants me to test him for.

Quoting tarakay0417:

tarakay0417
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 4:14 PM
I hope you can find answers soon.

Quoting LucyHourglass:

im honestly not even entirely sure, basically his thyroid was too high from my meds and he might have some genetic disease that she wants me to test him for.

Quoting tarakay0417:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Heymamashakeit
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 4:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Breast milk has enough nutrients.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:33 PM
2 moms liked this

The possible problems you cite are genetic in nature. What you fed or did not feed makes NO difference AT ALL. He'd STILL have the problems even if he had formula from day one or if you'd never had a single issue with breastfeeding.

HE'D BE THIS WAY ANYWAY.

You could feel guilty about passing on a genetic makeup... but I think that's pretty pointless.

PolishMamma2
by Marta on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:38 PM

hugs  Everything WILL be fine!!! 

LucyHourglass
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:41 PM

the thyroid stuff was my fault :( or the doctors fault who told me it would be safe tot ake and then RAISED the dosage. ugh. 

i'm hoping that all of this is just fromt he thyroid meds and there isnt a bigger problem, i'm PRAYING there isnt a bigger problem here.

and his father had a chin that was pushed back as well - im hoping that its just a physical trait and not linked to whatever genetic disease she was talking about.

we repeat the tests in a week so we will see then how he is doing..

Quoting gdiamante:

The possible problems you cite are genetic in nature. What you fed or did not feed makes NO difference AT ALL. He'd STILL have the problems even if he had formula from day one or if you'd never had a single issue with breastfeeding.

HE'D BE THIS WAY ANYWAY.

You could feel guilty about passing on a genetic makeup... but I think that's pretty pointless.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)