Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

FTT?

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 4:38 PM
  • 21 Replies
She's 11 days old now. Birthweight was 7 lb 2 oz. lowest weight was at 4 days and was 6 13. Today she was 6 14.5. Dr is diagnosing her Failure to thrive ): said I need to see the ibclc at hospital. So I went, her advice was nurse for 15 minutes then pump and bottle feed whatever I get. If I don't get at least 2 oz, give formula. She also had her bili levels checked again and they are at 18 so we are getting a bili blanket. My thing is, she isn't nursing well because she's so sleepy from jaundice and she has colic. I don't want her to end up preferring the bottle because it's less work, but I don't want them saying ftt either. I don't know what to do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 4:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 4:39 PM
Omg you need a new doc ASAP!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 4:40 PM
1 mom liked this
And do not see that LC again!! Nurse her as much as you can, and never ever limit time on the breast.
How are her diapers?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrswhite417
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 4:44 PM
She's had 3 wet and 2 dirty so far today and it's only 3:45.

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

And do not see that LC again!! Nurse her as much as you can, and never ever limit time on the breast.

How are her diapers?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 11, 2013 at 4:46 PM
1 mom liked this
No kidding. Baby gets 2-3 weeks to regain back to birth weight. This baby is a few ounces off and is only 11 days. This doctor is going to worse before he gets better. And failure to thrive isn't just about weight. What milestones is this doctor claiming the baby is falling short of at 11 days?!?!

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Omg you need a new doc ASAP!!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 4:48 PM
1 mom liked this
That's an excellent output! Her weight loss was most likely lower than what is was at 4 days old. She's not even 2 weeks old yet and you're already getting trouble from that doc, you need to RUN from them as fast as you can! ;)

Quoting mrswhite417:

She's had 3 wet and 2 dirty so far today and it's only 3:45.

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

How are her diapers?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 4:48 PM
1 mom liked this
That's way to young to be making such a diagnosis!! Ftt is more than not gaining weight, it's not meeting milestones. What milestone could a 1 week old have missed?

He lowest weight was almost certainly more like 6 pound 8 ounces, since that's a 10% loss which is expected. More loss would be expected if you had an iv in labor or a c section.
Based on that, her gain is fantastic.

That LC is a nut. You never time feedings, let alone to only 15 minutes! And pumping AFTER nursing? You won't get anything.

You are correct that the jaundice is the issue, if there even is one. The Billi light willhelp tremendously and being annoying to rose baby to eat constantly. We would strip baby to a diaper and rub cold lotion on him (it was February) to get him to wake and eat.

Definitely find a new doctor and lactation consultant!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Pumping after a feeding, even with an oversupply, guarantees you will not meet their two ounce minimum.  You are getting a bili blanket, that is going to help a lot.  Nurse on demand- no timing, no spacing.  To improve the flushing of bilirubin, nurse in a sunny spot with baby in just a diaper every chance you get.  How are diapers?  Nm, just saw that.  Baby is doing fine, doc and lc are waaaay off.

CafeMom Tickers
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 11, 2013 at 4:49 PM
I also think its likely the baby's weight went lower than that 4 day weight as most baby's do.
melindabelcher
by mel on Feb. 11, 2013 at 4:51 PM
Get the bili blanket.
You need to make sure shes not going more then every 2hrs without at least attempting to latch her.
Baby is doing great! The weight is within expected amounts.
I agree with the pp you need a new dr. FTT is a very serious diagnosis reserved for lethargic failing sickly children.
mamabens
by Miranda on Feb. 11, 2013 at 4:52 PM

What they said^ . That dr is ridiculous & I'd be switching asap & never ever see that lc again! FTT is about more than just not gaining at a rate that makes the doc happy. I get so irritated with dr's who throw out this diagnosis so often & easily....grrr. BTW how is she doing otherwise..need to see more pics of her!!(it's miranda btw.lol)

BabyFruit Ticker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)