Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

overactive letdown question

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 4:58 PM
  • 4 Replies
So ever since i was in the hospital with my newborn and get jaundice problem I've had way too much milk. Listening to her cry made my production crazy. Now i hurt all the time. She's 10 days old and doesn't eat that much at a time. I do pump but someone said that will just make it worse cause I'll continue to over produce. So what do i do?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 4:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Angel_Red7
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Over active letdown and oversupply are two different things but often occur together. This is something i dealt with both children. I'd stop pumping and block feed. Block feeding is feeding on one breast more than once before switching sides. You can start out with twice on one side before switching but I nurse on one side all day and switch to the other side at night.

For over active let down you can pull your baby off when you feel a let down and let the milk spray in a towel. Or you can recline or lay down while nursing.

Terpsichore
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:17 PM

I had overactive letdown and oversupply, probably still would if I wasn't pregnant. Anyways, it hurt like crazy in the beginning. I'd express a little before letting DD latch, and wait for the spray to die down. Putting cabbage leaves on my breasts also helped with engorgement pain. Pumping won't fix oversupply but expressing a little before latching is ok if it works for you.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Block feeding will help.Use just one breast for all feedings for a block of time, say 4 hours. Then the other for the next block.

bittersweet.
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:36 PM
Block feeding worked wonders! Wish I knew about it with my first! Second time around has been much more pleasant. Good luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)