Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Okay so my lil guy was born on Jan 25th..will be 3 weeks old on Fri. I use nipple shields while breast feeding since he had trouble latching even had to get under his tongue clipped at 3 days old cause he was a bit tongue tied..he has since gained a good amount of weight and is eating and wetting diapers normally..he wasnt in the beginning. At night my hubby has introduced him to the bottle cause I have to return to work soon and his mom will be caring for him so I have been pumping and storing a supply for her. He does well with the bottle and has no issues going back to the breast. Im wondering how many ounces I should be giving him mom when I return to work she will have him for atleast 8 hrs. When we give him the bottle he easily eats 2 oz every 2  to 3 hrs is that about normal for his age..sometimes he likes to cluster feed but only when he is on the breast. Also lately he has been acting pretty cranky at night time and his poop was really green so I was researching and thought it might be a foremilk hindmilk issue so I stopped giving him both breasts and am back to only one side at a time and making sure he empties it completely. Today his poop seems to be going slightly back to yellow. He isnt fussy all day just seems to be at night..dunno if its a case of colic or just being gassy. This is my first rodeo so I just want to make sure that Im doing everything right to ensure his growth and happiness. Sorry for it being so long and thanks in advance for any input!

by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:19 PM
Replies (11-13):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Quoting Jess21608:

Okay so my lil guy was born on Jan 25th..will be 3 weeks old on Fri.

I use nipple shields while breast feeding since he had trouble latching even had to get under his tongue clipped at 3 days old cause he was a bit tongue tied..

Glad that was taken care of quickly... it usually gets missed! There's info on kellymom.com on getting rid of the shield if you want to start pursuing that.

he has since gained a good amount of weight

FYI... week one is loss week, 10-12% of birth weight to be lost in that time. Gain begins being measurable by the end of week two, at a rate of 4-6 ounces per week. 

and is eating and wetting diapers normally..he wasnt in the beginning.

Normal for a newborn is a dipe change per day of life and NO gain in week one.

At night my hubby has introduced him to the bottle cause I have to return to work soon and his mom will be caring for him so I have been pumping and storing a supply for her. He does well with the bottle and has no issues going back to the breast.

Since that's established, stop the bottles. Actually, you never needed to introduce it... there's no such thing as getting baby used to a bottle. They take it or not, and that will change day to day.

Im wondering how many ounces I should be giving him mom

1 - 1.25 ounces per hour of separation, servings of 3 ounces.

when I return to work she will have him for atleast 8 hrs.

So 8-10 ounces.

When we give him the bottle he easily eats 2 oz every 2  to 3 hrs is that about normal for his age..

For ALL ages. The magic number never ever changes. (The milk does!) Now, stop giving those bottles and save that milk for when you're not around. Trust me here! Every drop given when you're there to nurse can undermine your supply AND wastes milk better reserved for when you're not there.

sometimes he likes to cluster feed but only when he is on the breast.

Normal.

Also lately he has been acting pretty cranky at night time

Normal.

and his poop was really green so I was researching and thought it might be a foremilk hindmilk issue so I stopped giving him both breasts and am back to only one side at a time and making sure he empties it completely.

Good. Green also falls into the range of normal, though...

Today his poop seems to be going slightly back to yellow. He isnt fussy all day just seems to be at night..dunno if its a case of colic or just being gassy.

Neither. It's a product of being three weeks old! Nighttime fussiness is normal for newborns.

This is my first rodeo so I just want to make sure that Im doing everything right to ensure his growth and happiness. Sorry for it being so long and thanks in advance for any input!

Jess21608
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:10 PM

Thanks for all the advice! Im sure its selfish but I dont function well on lack of sleep..he nurses alot so it has been a reprive to get the 3 hr chunk of time when my hubby gives a bottle. I cant go back to work and function properly..Im a nanny for a living and work with 3 small children so its a imperative that I get some sleep. I will be going back to work in less then 2 weeks so Im trying to rest up as much as I can..is it really that bad that he gets a bottle so I can rest? I do demand feed him and boy some days it feels like Im nursing every 45 mins so Im tired beyond belief I know thats part of the job of being a new mom and whatnot.

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting Jess21608:

Okay so my lil guy was born on Jan 25th..will be 3 weeks old on Fri.

I use nipple shields while breast feeding since he had trouble latching even had to get under his tongue clipped at 3 days old cause he was a bit tongue tied..

Glad that was taken care of quickly... it usually gets missed! There's info on kellymom.com on getting rid of the shield if you want to start pursuing that.

he has since gained a good amount of weight

FYI... week one is loss week, 10-12% of birth weight to be lost in that time. Gain begins being measurable by the end of week two, at a rate of 4-6 ounces per week. 

and is eating and wetting diapers normally..he wasnt in the beginning.

Normal for a newborn is a dipe change per day of life and NO gain in week one.

At night my hubby has introduced him to the bottle cause I have to return to work soon and his mom will be caring for him so I have been pumping and storing a supply for her. He does well with the bottle and has no issues going back to the breast.

Since that's established, stop the bottles. Actually, you never needed to introduce it... there's no such thing as getting baby used to a bottle. They take it or not, and that will change day to day.

Im wondering how many ounces I should be giving him mom

1 - 1.25 ounces per hour of separation, servings of 3 ounces.

when I return to work she will have him for atleast 8 hrs.

So 8-10 ounces.

When we give him the bottle he easily eats 2 oz every 2  to 3 hrs is that about normal for his age..

For ALL ages. The magic number never ever changes. (The milk does!) Now, stop giving those bottles and save that milk for when you're not around. Trust me here! Every drop given when you're there to nurse can undermine your supply AND wastes milk better reserved for when you're not there.

sometimes he likes to cluster feed but only when he is on the breast.

Normal.

Also lately he has been acting pretty cranky at night time

Normal.

and his poop was really green so I was researching and thought it might be a foremilk hindmilk issue so I stopped giving him both breasts and am back to only one side at a time and making sure he empties it completely.

Good. Green also falls into the range of normal, though...

Today his poop seems to be going slightly back to yellow. He isnt fussy all day just seems to be at night..dunno if its a case of colic or just being gassy.

Neither. It's a product of being three weeks old! Nighttime fussiness is normal for newborns.

This is my first rodeo so I just want to make sure that Im doing everything right to ensure his growth and happiness. Sorry for it being so long and thanks in advance for any input!

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Death, taxes and NEVER sleeping a full night again are your three guarantees as mom.

When dad is feeding a bottle, you do need to get up and pump. Otherwise you'll run into supply problems down the road. 

This is why we hartily recmmend co-sleeping. You can nurse without getting up. Just lay there.

We also recommend not doing anything that's not needed to survive. Leave that stuff for dad. He's more helpful handling the cooking and cleaning which is way more taxing than just lying there and nursing.

I worked 60 hour weeks when nursing so I know what you mean. And even though I'm useless on more than six hours sleep a night (broken sleep at that), I do need that six hours... so I dump that which isn't needed for survival.

Quoting Jess21608:

Thanks for all the advice! Im sure its selfish but I dont function well on lack of sleep..he nurses alot so it has been a reprive to get the 3 hr chunk of time when my hubby gives a bottle. I cant go back to work and function properly..Im a nanny for a living and work with 3 small children so its a imperative that I get some sleep. I will be going back to work in less then 2 weeks so Im trying to rest up as much as I can..is it really that bad that he gets a bottle so I can rest? I do demand feed him and boy some days it feels like Im nursing every 45 mins so Im tired beyond belief I know thats part of the job of being a new mom and whatnot.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN