Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Help! Supply Issues UPDATE :)

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:53 PM
  • 7 Replies
After a rough few weeks a cranky mommy and baby we are finally back on track! Took her in today and not only has she gained back the weight she lost but she packed on 2lbs more! The pedi was kind of a jerk and said. "did you finally ditch the breast milk?" I smiled big and said Nope! We ditched the formula. The look on his face was priceless. Anyway thanks for your advice and to any one else struggling keep preserving! I had so many people to tell me to just give it up already so glad I didn't.

I am new to the group but heard some of you ladies have awesome advice. It's a bit long but I need ideas.

Up until December my august baby was only on Breastmilk, she takes a bottle when I work and that's only 3 nights a week for a total of 10 hours a week. Any way long story short in December I got sick and my supply started to dwindle as I was throwing up and extremly dehydrated for almost 2 weeks. Since then I have done everything I can think of to up my supply. Yes we are supplementing with formula but only after I nurse as much as possible. When she Does nurse she cries and fusses the whole way through and she sucks like mad but hardly swallows. A couple weeks ago I took a day and pumped every hour and planned on feeding her what I had but for the entire day it was a lousy 2 ounces.

Here is what we have tried

Mothers Milk Tea 3-4 times a day

Balanced diet with NO caffeine ever

As much water as I can handle in a day

Nursing on demand and pumping after every feeding and once at work on nights I am there.

Now my doctor is telling me she doesn't think my supply will come back. I don't believe her. I feel like a failure and I am not willing to give up yet. Any suggestions or ideas would be great. I am not ready to be done.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:05 PM
3 moms liked this
Have you just breastfed with no supplements and counted diapers? If not you should do that for 1 day. If baby has at least 4-5 wet/dirty diapers, she's getting enough.

This very likely could be the normal 6 month supply regulation/ growth spurt combo that many moms experience. Baby starts acting starved, Mom can't pump like she used to and panics and gives formula. Mom never had a supply issue, but didn't realize what was happening so she mistook it for one. The supplementing leads to a drop in supply making the mistaken belief reality. Add to that you illness right before, and you've got quite a whammy! :-)

The good news is that you can ALWAYS get supply back, your doc is plain wrong about that. The only way it's hopeless is if you die or have your breasts removed :-P

The bad news is, it's going to involve making baby a little unhappy. First try the 24 hour thing and see if you even have a problem. If the diapers are there, your supply is fine. If baby lacks diapers, them you supplement *just enough* so that baby has minimum diapers for the day. Then you slowly work supplements down from there as your supply builds back up.
Also look into using a supplemental nursing system to give the formula at the breast. This will allow baby to get the extra she needs AND stimulate your production simultaneously.

Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Journeysmama11
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Fenugreek may help. You can get it in liquid or gel pills at a health foods store. It will make you smell like maple syrup and maybe baby too. Kinda taste weird if you do the liquid and it's really thick and syrup-y. lol But it's supposed to work wonders!

LaideBug
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks so much I am looking into the supplemental nursing system now, I never knew they made such a thing. We did the 24 diaper monitoring in December that's when we discovered the problem. She had actually lost weight at her 4 month check so her pedi asked about her diet. She just had her 6 month check a week ago and her weight is fine maybe I will see where her diapers are at now with out formula supplements. Any way thanks for the advice I really appreciate it.

Quoting larissalarie:

Have you just breastfed with no supplements and counted diapers? If not you should do that for 1 day. If baby has at least 4-5 wet/dirty diapers, she's getting enough.

This very likely could be the normal 6 month supply regulation/ growth spurt combo that many moms experience. Baby starts acting starved, Mom can't pump like she used to and panics and gives formula. Mom never had a supply issue, but didn't realize what was happening so she mistook it for one. The supplementing leads to a drop in supply making the mistaken belief reality. Add to that you illness right before, and you've got quite a whammy! :-)

The good news is that you can ALWAYS get supply back, your doc is plain wrong about that. The only way it's hopeless is if you die or have your breasts removed :-P

The bad news is, it's going to involve making baby a little unhappy. First try the 24 hour thing and see if you even have a problem. If the diapers are there, your supply is fine. If baby lacks diapers, them you supplement *just enough* so that baby has minimum diapers for the day. Then you slowly work supplements down from there as your supply builds back up.
Also look into using a supplemental nursing system to give the formula at the breast. This will allow baby to get the extra she needs AND stimulate your production simultaneously.

Good luck!

LaideBug
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:53 AM
1 mom liked this
I just wanted to say thank you for your advice. Today marks 1 full week of NO formula and very little the week before.we go in on Monday to check on her weight and I am super confident we will be where she should be. :)

Quoting larissalarie:

Good luck!

mamalusbear
by Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Maybe see a lactation consultant?

Zazayam
by Nicki on Mar. 3, 2013 at 1:04 AM

That's wonderful, congrats! Keep up the good work :)

Quoting LaideBug:

I just wanted to say thank you for your advice. Today marks 1 full week of NO formula and very little the week before.we go in on Monday to check on her weight and I am super confident we will be where she should be. :)

Quoting larissalarie:

Good luck!

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 1:12 AM
That's great news, thanks for updating!!
Great job pushing through, I know that's definitely not an easy thing :-)

Quoting LaideBug:

Quoting larissalarie:

Good luck!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)