Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Inconsolable At Bedtime

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:06 PM
  • 15 Replies
I almost posted this a couple of nights ago, but the baby calmed down before I finished so I deleted it. I thought I may have jumped the gun. But this is now 3 times that she's been like this at bedtime, so I'll try to describe the behavior and maybe you ladies have a better idea of what could be going on. Bedtime is pretty consistantt. She snuggles in her soft blanket on the boopy in the recliner as I nurse and rock her. Now a few times she just gets mad. She latches on and off while whining and squealing. She flaps her arm around and slaps my chest or pulls my hair. She tries to turn her head down toward my inner elbow. She also pushes with her feet and squirms her back away from me. I rock, sing, shush, walk, gave gas drops. She keeps it up for 30-45 minutes with me switching sides about every 5 min before finally falling asleep. I figure it could be a number of things but I thought to post here incase it's moe common than I realize. Either way some reassurance would be much appreciated. It's been a really long day and my 3&5 year olds also gave me hell at their bedtime.

Eta: She turns 6 months this week.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:17 PM

How old?
Dd started acting like that around 11 months. I started lying her in her crib and she would toss and turn for a few minutes and go to sleep. She seemed to hit a stage virtually overnight where she didn't want to nurse to sleep. She literally just did this 5 min ago and I asked her if she was ready for bed and she walked to her room and climbed into bed. (She has a toddler bed now). Just a thought since I was baffled by it too.
o0laurie.love0o
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:25 PM
Oops I meant to include her age. I'll add to the op. She's just 6 months this week. Still a little young for not wanting to nurse to sleep I think. I'm no mind reader though!
chrissydan
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:26 PM
Bump my 5 month old does this
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
o0laurie.love0o
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:30 PM
Oh jeez. I just re read my post and noticed all of the errors. Sorry! iPhone + nursing + fatigue doesn't create prime typing conditions. Lol
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Normal normal normal normal normal.

Welcome to the six month growth spurt, combined with teething and new milestones and all kinds of thinks that discombobulate infants. You're handling it fine.

FrumpyMama
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:42 PM

My dd starting acting like that at that age too. I literally held her while in her bedroom while she screamed and writhed around in my arms. She just wouldn't stop.  I don't know what to tell you other than give you a bump. I did food eliminations, earlier bedtimes, nothing worked, not even bedsharing. She always had to scream for almost an hour every night before falling asleep, whereever it was.

o0laurie.love0o
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:03 AM
I think I'm going to sit in our recliner and chant "normal normal normal.." like this as she has these little fits (for lack of a proper name). Felt like losing my marbles a little there. She's such a pleasure all day then bed time hits and *poof* she's mad at the world. Last night she finally ended up crying herself to sleep while latched on, snuggled up, and white noise playing. I fell asleep with her too and missed my show. Lol

Quoting gdiamante:

Welcome to the six month growth spurt, combined with teething and new milestones and all kinds of thinks that discombobulate infants. You're handling it fine.

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Ooh what's your show? I'm a TV junkie lol

Quoting o0laurie.love0o:

I think I'm going to sit in our recliner and chant "normal normal normal.." like this as she has these little fits (for lack of a proper name). Felt like losing my marbles a little there. She's such a pleasure all day then bed time hits and *poof* she's mad at the world. Last night she finally ended up crying herself to sleep while latched on, snuggled up, and white noise playing. I fell asleep with her too and missed my show. Lol

Quoting gdiamante:

o0laurie.love0o
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:31 AM

I was trying to watch Once Upon A Time on Hulu+ because I missed it due to the Grammy's being on. :P I took up being a TV junky since my baby doesn't like to sleep anywhere but right next to me. At least I have my shows to entertain me during all that snuggling! 

Quoting stepconfused182:

Quoting o0laurie.love0o:

Quoting gdiamante:

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Haha, I've always been one! It's my weakness. I was busy watching The Bachelor last night and recording my other 3 Monday night shows. I truly have 2-4 a night that I watch/record. I've thought about seeking help for it! :)

Quoting o0laurie.love0o:

I was trying to watch Once Upon A Time on Hulu+ because I missed it due to the Grammy's being on. :P I took up being a TV junky since my baby doesn't like to sleep anywhere but right next to me. At least I have my shows to entertain me during all that snuggling! 

Quoting stepconfused182:

Quoting o0laurie.love0o:

Quoting gdiamante:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)