Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

iron levels

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:09 PM
  • 5 Replies
Levi (10 months) is bruising very easily, well, I made an appointment to talk to his pediatrician about it. She walked in the room, asked some questions and then said he looks so pale, and just didn't look himself. They did a blood draw and she said it was low iron that's wrong with him. She told me to give him some iron drops and go back in a month make sure he looks better. Any one have experience with this? Any advice? Opinions on supplements?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
TonyaLea
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:59 AM

I have only ever had experience with it in myself.  I had to take iron supplements both times I was pregnant.  I was low on iron and bruising easily and very fatigued.  Just a couple days after starting supplements, I felt SO much better.

Is he on solids yet?  You could try and bulk him up on iron-rich foods.  You could do that in addition to the supplements too.  The only supplements I have seen are the baby liquid drops.  They have Vit. D drops with iron, and a multivitamin with iron.  You find both in the regular vitamin section.  

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:04 AM

Iron rich foods are usually first choice.

melindabelcher
by mel on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:50 AM
She told you results right then? Was it a blood draw or finger prick?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:55 AM

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/anemia-gone/

How one mother successfully battled anemia in her baby…

without using iron supplements

Sierra was diagnosed with anemia when she was seven months, one week old – her level was 9.1. I was told to give her iron supplements three times a day, but after doing a lot of research I decided not to. The side effects of the iron seemed too severe since her iron levels were not very low, and she has a very delicate tummy!

Instead I decided to give her a combination of iron-rich and vitamin C-rich foods. She does not eat a lot, but she does like to feed herself little bits here and there whenever I eat, so I just made sure all of the little bits had iron or vitamin C. She insists on feeding herself – even things you need a spoon for!

Sierra had just started eating solid foods the week she turned 6 months, just over a month before this happened. She was barely eating at the time we were going through all of this. She was eating about 1 tablespoon of food per day total when we started, and by the time we finished she was up to almost 2 tablespoons per day.

Her diet consists of cheerios, avocado, all kinds of fresh veggie chunks & fresh fruit chunks, fried potatoes, fried tofu chunks, iron-fortified oatmeal (now with molasses), homemade rice cereal cookies, and soy yogurt. But it is still mostly breastmilk since she still nurses every two hours.

Well, we got her re-tested after 5 weeks (aged 8 months, 2 weeks). She is no longer anemic – I just found out. I am so happy!! Ironically, I almost caved and went and bought iron drops Saturday because she took a one hour nap two days in a row (she normally takes no more than a 10 or 15 minute nap) and I was convinced it was the anemia! Anyway, her levels are now normal. Her new level is 10.4 (10.2 is normal). I am amazed that we could get it up that much in such a short time with diet alone, considering how little she eats. I am going to continue giving her foods high in iron and vitamin C since I would like her numbers to be higher and she likes what she eats. Besides, I think a healthy diet in the first few years is exceptionally important and she has one healthy diet – I wish I ate so well!

I am so happy that it worked out without the iron drops! And I know Sierra would be too, if she had known about them!

pinkiebabii
by Jennie on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:25 AM
It was a draw. She told me results about five minutes later and said she would call me today with a few more results to other tests they ran.

Quoting melindabelcher:

She told you results right then? Was it a blood draw or finger prick?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN