Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are celestial teas safe while nursing?

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:54 PM
  • 5 Replies
I have a sore throat and I have raspberry zinger tea I want to drink..is it safe while bf?

I have mothers milk tea but I hate the taste.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
CheyennesMommy2
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:57 PM
And I have a throat spray...pheno something..not OTC. Idk if its safe though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Safe. Chloraseptic's fine too. Need the name for your scrip but google lact med and you can look it up yourself. (Do check the date on that if you didn't just get it today.)

There's next to nothing you can buy OTC that is unsafe. Stay away from sage, don't overdo peppermint... both known to impact supply. No aspirin (Reye's Syndrome risk). Some moms report supply problems form decongestants but good hydration can counter that.

CheyennesMommy2
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:15 PM
What about menthol? I want to (in 5 weeks when I'm allowed) take a bath in this menthol n juniper stuff I got. But I read no menthol during pregnancy and nursing.

I got the throat spray while pregnant so I imagine it'd be safe but ill look it up. It just sucks not being able to swallow.

Quoting gdiamante:

Safe. Chloraseptic's fine too. Need the name for your scrip but google lact med and you can look it up yourself. (Do check the date on that if you didn't just get it today.)

There's next to nothing you can buy OTC that is unsafe. Stay away from sage, don't overdo peppermint... both known to impact supply. No aspirin (Reye's Syndrome risk). Some moms report supply problems form decongestants but good hydration can counter that.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:43 PM

SMALL amounts of menthol are fine. Large amounts are not. (I've never met anyone who could handle large amounts of it!)

Quoting CheyennesMommy2:

What about menthol? I want to (in 5 weeks when I'm allowed) take a bath in this menthol n juniper stuff I got. But I read no menthol during pregnancy and nursing.

I got the throat spray while pregnant so I imagine it'd be safe but ill look it up. It just sucks not being able to swallow.

Quoting gdiamante:

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Let me pass on this radio host's favorite.. Ricola! The honey cough drops were really helpful for me when I was sick. (I used to host Morning Edition on a local NPR station.)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)