Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Off topic. For those of you who celebrate Lent...

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:31 PM
  • 7 Replies
What are you giving up? This is the first year I'm doing it since I was way younger. I'm giving up soda, which is a big deal for me. But, I can do it! I'm curious about others though.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
hapababies
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:38 PM
In the past I used to give up things like white bread, meat, and chocolate. I haven't been very good about keeping up with lent since I got pregnant in 2009. Every lent since then I have been pregnant or nursing.
What I should give up is cafemom, but it's my one and only vice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Meat on Fridays, but that's about it. Over the years I've discovered that giving something up for Lent made me focus more on the deprivation than the introspection that's supposed to be going on over that period. So instead, I try to remember to read the daily meditations published by the Anglican Communion, and to spend more time in prayer.

SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:55 PM
I'm hoping for the introspection. I have daily devotionals and participate in a few small groups at church but feel like I need something more. Soda is expensive and unhealthy and I'm pregnant so I chose it. It will also be the hardest thing to give up (definitely my biggest vice). We'll see how it goes.

Quoting gdiamante:

Meat on Fridays, but that's about it. Over the years I've discovered that giving something up for Lent made me focus more on the deprivation than the introspection that's supposed to be going on over that period. So instead, I try to remember to read the daily meditations published by the Anglican Communion, and to spend more time in prayer.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:14 AM
I'm going to try going to 6:15 Mass once or twice a week--I usually go to 8:15.
SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:18 AM
That would be good too, some sort of devotion time an hour before I typically get up. Somehow I think soda is easier I guess, huh, I'll keep that in mind in the future.

Quoting MusherMaggie:

I'm going to try going to 6:15 Mass once or twice a week--I usually go to 8:15.
ragitty
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:21 AM

I still haven't decided yet. I am thinking about not giving something up and instead praying a rosary every day or something--focus more on my faith and all that

jam2jan11
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:09 AM
1 mom liked this
My DH and I are giving up going out to eat. I'm terrible about running out for ice cream or iced coffee so we're going to give it a shot! I also plan to buy an item or two at the grocery store each week for the food pantry box at church.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN