Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pumping!!! I need help!.

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:50 AM
  • 21 Replies
I have a evenflow single electric pump. and I used it in the beginning like 1wpp but that's when I was engorged but I tried to use it twice since then and first time I got 2oz from both left and right, and today was only a few drops. Could it be me? Could it be the pump? or both I need to start saving up milk soon. I need some answers please .

Also storing question. How many oz should I store in one bag or bottle? I want to try and start now.?

I'm in need of help ASAP thanks
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shortyali
by Alicia on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:06 AM
1 mom liked this
It's the pump. That pump also goes by the name evilflo because it can also damage your nipples.

Normal pump output is .5-2oz both breast combined. Some women respond very well to pumps and can get more than that. Others can pump for 10 minutes and only get drops.

For storage I would freeze in 3ozs. Just because that is a feeding. Unless you are planning to donate only, then I would do 5-6oz bags.
BrownEyedGirl86
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:08 AM
1 mom liked this
What I know 3oz combined (btwn both breasts) is normal.
It could be you aren't responding to the pump r it could be you need to keep pumping and let your body know you need to make more bm so you can store some. (I would do that for a week then see if you are having the same issue. I notice myself making more bm a day or 2 after starting to pump again.)

As for storing. I believe it's 1.5-3oz per feeding. So that's what I would divide the bm into abd store that way.
shortyali
by Alicia on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:15 AM
This is from kellymom (http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/pumping_decrease/):

What is normal when it comes to pumping output and changes in pumping output?
It is typical for a mother who is nursing full-time to be able to pump around 1/2 to 2 ounces total (for both breasts) per pumping session. Moms who pump more milk per session may have an oversupply of milk, or may respond better than average to the pump, or may have been able to increase pump output with practice. Many moms think that they should be able to pump 4-8 ounces per pumping session, but even 4 ounces is a rather large pumping output for a mom who is breastfeeding full-time.

It is quite normal to need to pump 2-3 times to get enough milk for one feeding for baby (remember that the pump cannot get as much milk as a baby who nurses effectively).

Many moms are able to pump more milk per session when they are separated from baby. Milk pumped when you are nursing full-time is “extra” milk — over and beyond what baby needs. Don’t get discouraged if you are trying to build up a freezer stash when nursing full time and don’t get much milk per pumping session — this is perfectly normal and expected.

It is very common to have more milk than baby needs in the early weeks, which regulates down to baby’s needs over the first few weeks or months. When your milk supply regulates (this change may occur either gradually or rather suddenly), it is normal for pumping output to decrease. For moms who have oversupply, this change often occurs later (6-9+ months postpartum rather than 6-12 weeks).

It is normal for pumping output to vary from session to session and day to day. Having an occasional low volume day is not unusual.

During a growth spurt, don’t be surprised if baby drinks more expressed milk than usual, making it harder for mom to provide enough expressed milk. Growth spurts are temporary – try increasing nursing and adding a pumping session or two at home until the growth spurt is over.

Menstruation or ovulation can result in a temporary drop in milk supply. You might also notice cyclical dips in milk supply before your period returns, as your body begins the return to fertility. Hormonal changes also cause milk supply to decrease during pregnancy.

Remember that the amount of milk that you pump is not a measure of your milk supply!

Here is her link for storage guidelines. I personally printed out her chart here and kept it on my fridge: http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/milkstorage/milkstorage/

If you should decide you want to try a different pump, there is a sticky about all of the pumps. Which to avoid and why, which are decent.

Also check kellymom.com about bottle sizes for baby and the correct way to bottle feed a breastfed baby, you can print that one out for your care giver to read.
redrose_12
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:59 AM
Thank you ladies. I feel better now and I will try looking into another breast pump and then pump in between feeding a that way I can start and hopefully ill produce more and the sizing of bm milk Is great to know thank you again.
shortyali
by Alicia on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:02 AM
Check with your insurance company. Most cover breast pumps. Some are waiting until Jan 2014 when they have too but a few are now. Also if your eligible for WIC they sometimes lend pumps out too.

Quoting redrose_12:

Thank you ladies. I feel better now and I will try looking into another breast pump and then pump in between feeding a that way I can start and hopefully ill produce more and the sizing of bm milk Is great to know thank you again.
almondpigeon
by Amanda on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:31 AM
When I worked, I used medela electric pump & could only get an ounce from either side. With my last baby (he's 11 weeks), Ive pumped 3 times using a manual pump & was able to get 5 oz out of each breast! I don't know if I'm more relaxed or if that dinky little pump is more effective. Did they give you one when you were discharged from the hospital? If so, it may be worth trying. Also, I pump while he's nursing so let down isn't forced.
fortressmom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Could be a combination of things, many moms just don't respond well to pumping. It's normal to only get .5-2oz from your breasts combined when nursing full time because your body regulates to just what baby needs. As for having a large stash in the freezer it's not really necessary. You'll pump what you need the day before. So for Monday you'll send what you pump on Sunday, etc. I wouldn't stress too much about having a large stash, fresh pumped milk is better for baby than frozen when possible.

victoriangavin
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:34 AM
I have the same pump and love it... I have now been exclusively pumping except for at night for two months now and only pump 4 or 5 times a day. I get enough for ds and about 8 to 16 extra ounces a day that I donate. However I have produced alot since before ds was born
CatFishMom
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:34 PM

I always produced a lot of milk and with my first son I went through three pumps because two quit working after a few uses and the third was sufficient enough that I managed until I didnt need to pump anymore. With my second, I found a Medela pump on clearance for crazy cheap and loved it. I typically pumped about three ounces per breast, more at the beginning, but that was just me and I know that isnt the norm. I always stored my milk at four ounces to the bag because the boys-when they were a little bigger-would eat almost all or all of it-but that was also a full feeding because I didnt nurse for that feeding, whether I was working (with my first) or for whatever reason with my second.

oliver92
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:46 PM

I always used medela pis, but with my first I had so much extra milk in my freezer it was insane, he used it for like 6 months after i quit ebf.  But i wasnt able to get as much with my last, i tried over and over and never got as much milk, it was small amounts, but he was a small amount eater, ate often, just kept at it, i actually had to cover the pump up to get any flow at all.  At first I froze small oz like 3, then moved up to the full amt of the bag, used by earliest dates.  this time, i will just freeze whatever the bag will hold at a time or whatever I am able to pump.  check your insurance to see if they can help you out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)