Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Do you always correct misinformation? Do you let it slide? ETA

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:09 AM
  • 29 Replies
1 mom liked this

Do you always correct others when you hear them say something untrue about breastfeeding?

example: My SIL sent me an email (her DS is two days older than my DD so he's just over five weeks) saying she had to start supplementing with 2-3 oz of formula after he eats because he drained her and was still hungry (this when the babies were 3 weeks old - hello, growthspurt!) She gets hugely defensive about everything though so I didn't say anything about it though.  

She thinks because this is her third and my first she has more knowledge.  I think maybe she has more experience but she doesn't have more knowledge.  She has always starting supplementing by a month and quit by three.  I'm five weeks in EBF (no bottles, but I did use a syringe plus nursing the first few days while she was in the NICU)

ETA: I've tried to gently correct her before and she FLIPPED on me.  Told me I was going to kill my DD (when I was 30 weeks pregnant) if I did what I said (1-1.25 oz/hr rule).  I was just wondering if anyone else let it slide to avoid a huge blow up fight where you know the other person is not going to listen anyways.

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jujubee12
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:24 AM
2 moms liked this

I always correct it cause Im annoying like that and I think that not correcting it just continues a pattern of misinformation which is just damaging to the world and the people in it. Its worth a shot to me. Even if she doesnt buy it right now, she might because of what you say, believe it in the future and then not go on to tell someone else she knows that that is how its done. 

knowledge makes the world a better place lol!

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, I would offer to help her discontinue the formula. That is what a bf advocate does. If she wasn't interested, I would back off. It's VERY frustrating to me to know moms who are able to ebf but don't have the sources, support or knowledge to do so. I always offer to help but never push it. I actually had this exact situation with my SIL, who ended up strictly formula feeding after a couple weeks. I offered to help, she declined. Oh well, it's not for everyone!

TiffanyMarie80
by Tiffany on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this

I do - it's their choice to listen or not, but I make a point of always offering evidence-based information to correct misinformation.

GoldenLinds
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:31 AM
I just say you never HAVE to supplement with formula in that sutuation and leave it to the other person if they want to pursue the truth or not.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this
Absolutely. I won't just throw myself in your face and start preaching lol, but I do offer help and info if needed/wanted. What they do with it is not in my control. Some have been very thankful for my help and some unfortunately would rather trust idiotic doctors.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabens
by Miranda on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this

It depends ont he person. In your situation when you know you will get jumped on probably not BUT I'd maybe send her a link addressing her issue & say "hey thought this might be helpful'. In here I always correct misinformation because you enver know who is reading it & takes the one false info as the truth.

BabyFruit Ticker

K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Absolutely. I won't just throw myself in your face and start preaching lol, but I do offer help and info if needed/wanted. What they do with it is not in my control. Some have been very thankful for my help and some unfortunately would rather trust idiotic doctors.

Hoevegirl1986
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:42 PM

i try to correct them if they want to hear it if not. i don't let them around my child.

proudmama11212
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:47 PM
Id slap your sister in law -.- theres no point in trying to correct them especially if they are hardheaded im lucky my mother was more considerate when i corrected her and showed her proof i hope your sil doesnt give any one advice
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JMmama
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:17 PM
1 mom liked this
It depends. If it is an active situation, like in the OP, I would make suggestions or provide information. If it is something like when people say "oh I wish I could have breastfed but I just dried up all of a sudden when baby was a month old" and now the baby is 5, then I am likely to let it go.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN