Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

tattoos and breastfeeding?

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:20 AM
  • 30 Replies

I have been wanting get a new tattoo since before I got pregnant and have waited patiently until I got enough money. Now I have enough money and my baby is 5 months old. But I remember with my last tattoo it asked in my consent form if I was pregnant or breastfeeding in the list of question (like if I ate or not etc)

Is it safe to get a tattoo while youre nursing? Is it just a risk for hepetitis and stuff if the tattoo shop isnt clean and practice proper procedure or is there some other risk? Because the shop Im going to is very well known, very professional and very clean. 

[UPDATE]

well turns out I wont be getting it done anyway!The place I wanted to go to wont tattoo nursing women because they are liable if I get an infection (what they said) they are super strict about the eating and aspirin too. The place I used to go to in oregon did it but Im not driving to oregon..and I dont like any other artists out here soooo looks like the point is moot now.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
baby wearing, cloth diapering, attachment parenting, breastfeeding first time mamma
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SadieJames
by Sarah on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Safe as long as the place is clean.  Some places won't tattoo a bfing mom though.

Jujubee12
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Quoting SadieJames:

Safe as long as the place is clean.  Some places won't tattoo a bfing mom though.

ok thats good to know thank you! Ill have to give them a call before I put down a deposite and see if its an issue. thanks :)

baby wearing, cloth diapering, attachment parenting, breastfeeding first time mamma
ToolArmy066
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:42 AM
I hope not, because I want to get tatto in the next few months and I'm bfing too.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sleepymommy87
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:44 AM
Meh, any risk of infection is too great for me. I'd wait, because even if you take awesome care of it, there's ALWAYS a risk of infection. Tattoos can wait, my breastfeeding relationship cannot.
bebe_ju-rah
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:46 AM
I dunno...I hope not. I'm planning to get one soon as well.

I noticed your SN though...when my dd was a baby we nicknamed her JuJu Bean (don't ask...I don't know why lol- Her name is Juliana). As she has gotten older and we've gotten lazier it has bee shortened to JJ or just J. :) Just throwing that out there!
bebe_ju-rah
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:47 AM
I've never heard of getting an infection from a tattoo. From dirty needles or something?

Quoting sleepymommy87:

Meh, any risk of infection is too great for me. I'd wait, because even if you take awesome care of it, there's ALWAYS a risk of infection. Tattoos can wait, my breastfeeding relationship cannot.
sleepymommy87
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:49 AM
It's an open wound. Meaning dirt, bacteria, soap, etc anything can irritate it and can lead to an infection. Any time you have a serious open wound (which a tattoo is) you run the risk of it getting infected.

Quoting bebe_ju-rah:

I've never heard of getting an infection from a tattoo. From dirty needles or something?

Quoting sleepymommy87:

Jujubee12
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Quoting sleepymommy87:

there is a risk of getting infection if you pop a pimple, prick yourself with a sewing needle or gash your knee though. I value my nursing relationship but if I had to worry about infection anytime there was an snag or poke in my skin, I'd be so screwed. Proper care and forethought can prevent infection, and even if infection were to happen it doesnt have to be allowed to get so bad that it interferes with breastfeeding

there is always a risk that when you get into a car you could get into an accident, but ds and I still pile in and go places. I feel like its more likely for that to happen than to get an infected tattoo so long as you follow direction and go to a well respected establishment. Also you dont use soap on fresh tattoos...and aquafor can be put on it to protect it from even water...

mamabens
by Miranda on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:14 PM

I had actually planned one not long after this baby is born. Waiting until I'm no longer nursing isn't a viable option because I plan on allowingbaby to self wean which means at LEAST 2 yrs.  & possibley as long as 5 or 6. If you're going to a respectible place & they are clean & you know how to properly tkae care of it I see no issue.

BabyFruit Ticker

sleepymommy87
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:26 PM
I'm aware, i have five tattoos. But you can't always guarantee soap won't get on it as you shower and depending on the location soap will probably come into contact with it at some point of the healing process. Not to mention sweat, hair products if it's on your back, perfume, lotion, etc. it's all possible, and it's not a risk i care to take, hence my opinion. Don't ask for opinions if you're just going to disagree and argue them. Get a tattoo, I don't really care. But there is a difference between a pimple that you don't intentionally cause and a tattoo that you do intentionally cause. Four of my five tattoos healed beautifully, one did not. I took excellent care of all of them, got them all at a reputable shop i trusted, and one got infected to the point of almost becoming septic. I'm speaking from experience, but obviously you have your mind made up so why even ask for opinions?

Quoting Jujubee12:

Quoting sleepymommy87:

there is a risk of getting infection if you pop a pimple, prick yourself with a sewing needle or gash your knee though. I value my nursing relationship but if I had to worry about infection anytime there was an snag or poke in my skin, I'd be so screwed. Proper care and forethought can prevent infection, and even if infection were to happen it doesnt have to be allowed to get so bad that it interferes with breastfeeding

there is always a risk that when you get into a car you could get into an accident, but ds and I still pile in and go places. I feel like its more likely for that to happen than to get an infected tattoo so long as you follow direction and go to a well respected establishment. Also you dont use soap on fresh tattoos...and aquafor can be put on it to protect it from even water...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)