Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

2 weeks old-How often should he be nursing?

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:49 PM
  • 33 Replies

My 2nd boy is 2 weeks old today. He seems to be wanting to nurse constantly. My first DS was scheduled with his feedings from a week old. This baby just eats constantly and unscheduled. He is totally unpredictable. He is rooting all day long, but only with me. He knows when its me holding him and every time I hold him, he's rooting like he's starving.

So my question is, how often is a 2 week old supposed to be nursing?

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsNiko88
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:51 PM
1 mom liked this

He is about to go through the *dreaded* three week growth spurt. Feed on demand don't schedule. He is uping your supply and gaining weight. Try to wear him during the day and co-sleep if you are comfortable. Of course he knows his mama! He knows your voice and smell already :)

PEEK05
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:52 PM

On demand :)

shortyali
by Alicia on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:54 PM
2 moms liked this
The real question for the first few weeks is when shouldn't they be nursing. My DS2 wanted to nurse I he was awake for almost the first 6 weeks straight. He also shows that's what he did since he almost doubled his birth weight by 2 months.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momdays
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Thanks. I know my first DS had a good routine, but I don't remember when that began. It must have been later : )

Quoting shortyali:

The real question for the first few weeks is when shouldn't they be nursing. My DS2 wanted to nurse I he was awake for almost the first 6 weeks straight. He also shows that's what he did since he almost doubled his birth weight by 2 months.

momdays
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:14 PM

He's actually been cosleeping as of last night in the cradle by my bed. He spits up at night, and it makes me so nervous with him on his back, I don't want him to choke. So I want to be able to hear when he does. But he doesn't nurse much at night, usually only once.

Quoting MrsNiko88:

He is about to go through the *dreaded* three week growth spurt. Feed on demand don't schedule. He is uping your supply and gaining weight. Try to wear him during the day and co-sleep if you are comfortable. Of course he knows his mama! He knows your voice and smell already :)

Mel0dy
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Breastfeeding on Demend is what I would suggest 

pinkiebabii
by Jennie on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:17 PM
As often as he likes.
I remember at two weeks DS eat for hours straight and I was lucky to get maybe a 5 minute break.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pinkiebabii
by Jennie on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:20 PM
My DS got into a routine at about 6 months old.
He nursed less often after 3 months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nurseangel032
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:35 PM

I am going through the same thing with my baby boy.    I feel like a milking machine!!!    I thought my nipples were literally going to fall off at one point.  Thank god that is getting better , although when he fist latches on I nearly jump off my seat.        I was warned by my nurse in the hospital though that he would most likely "cluster feed" often, so at least I was prepared .        Glad I am not working now, hoping he is more on a schedule when i go back to work the first week of April.  ( he will be 2 weeks old on Wed ) 

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:38 PM
Normal!! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)