Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I wish my hospitals had IBCLCs and not just LCs.

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:34 PM
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this

My babies always lose weight in the beginning, like the maximum that they want to see babies lose.  However, as soon as my milk kicks in (thankfully with my last two babies it came in on day 2), they always, ALWAYS gain back.  They are always OVER their birth weight by the time we hit 2 weeks old lol.  They always throw the word 'formula' around, even the LCs, when my kids start hitting that 10% weight loss mark.  I allowed it with my first not knowing better and that helped contribute to a lot of issues that ended up making us just give up completely (again, I didn't know better how to fix our issues).  With my second, I had to be rude and tell them no, that if they felt like he needed more, I'd be willing to pump and supplement between feedings with my own milk (just to shut them the hell up lol).  This time, I'm just basically going to say STFU without actually saying those words.  I'm telling the pediatrician and LCs right away that my babies ALWAYS lose a lot of weight from birth but gain it back AND FAST as soon as my milk comes in. That I won't be using formula and I don't give a sh*t what they say.  They are not dying, they are healthy, they are fine.

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:16 PM
Sounds like a plan! I don't know what our hospital had but they were not helpful at all!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gumeshoe
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:22 PM

My pedi had us come back in for a 2nd visit because he had lost weight from release from the hospital and drs appointment. At the time I didn't know it was normal. 3 days later they weighed him and said yeap he is fine back to his release weight. They never said anything about formula tho. It just worried me when I didn't need to be worried. He hadn't lost an excessive weight. It was 11% I think, they just made it seem odd to loose more after day 2. I did have a csection and an IV for 24 hours before it.

mamabens
by Miranda on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Good for you! I wish more doctors & lc's knew what they were talking about.....I think all hospitals should have to have a IBCLC on staff.

BabyFruit Ticker

PEEK05
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Haha I just realized this seems like a very random post.  It's very relevant, I promise. I'm having my third baby tomorrow lol.  It was just something I was thinking about.

ferne3
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:28 PM

What I find interesting is that I read that most Ped's get concerned over weight loss and gain because the stats they use are based upon the American Academy of Pediatrics guidelines and growth charts - which are based upon formula fed babies.  This is true for the initial weight loss as  well as the subsequent charting over the first several months about what percentile weight the child is in.  A better comparison for breastfeeding infants is the World Health Organization (WHO) charts which are based upon breastfed babies.  As far as telling them to STFU, I lived in the south briefly and I like how they do it, smile sweetly and say well, 'bless your heart', which means, 'aren't you stupid'?  And ignore whatever just came out of their mouths....

PEEK05
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Hehehe, that is a nicer way to put it. :)

I am thankful that our pediatrician, who does not work in the hospitals, uses the breastfed chart for breastfed babies.  She has never, ever been concerned about my babies weights.  Only the stupid doctors/LCs in the hospitals.

Quoting ferne3:

What I find interesting is that I read that most Ped's get concerned over weight loss and gain because the stats they use are based upon the American Academy of Pediatrics guidelines and growth charts - which are based upon formula fed babies.  This is true for the initial weight loss as  well as the subsequent charting over the first several months about what percentile weight the child is in.  A better comparison for breastfeeding infants is the World Health Organization (WHO) charts which are based upon breastfed babies.  As far as telling them to STFU, I lived in the south briefly and I like how they do it, smile sweetly and say well, 'bless your heart', which means, 'aren't you stupid'?  And ignore whatever just came out of their mouths....

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:19 PM
I wish that too.

Quoting mamabens:

Good for you! I wish more doctors & lc's knew what they were talking about.....I think all hospitals should have to have a IBCLC on staff.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:20 PM
1 mom liked this
I didn't think it was random. ;-)

Quoting PEEK05:

Haha I just realized this seems like a very random post.  It's very relevant, I promise. I'm having my third baby tomorrow lol.  It was just something I was thinking about.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:21 PM
That is great that your doctor is more informed.

Quoting PEEK05:

Hehehe, that is a nicer way to put it. :)

I am thankful that our pediatrician, who does not work in the hospitals, uses the breastfed chart for breastfed babies.  She has never, ever been concerned about my babies weights.  Only the stupid doctors/LCs in the hospitals.

Quoting ferne3:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN