Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

She won't sleep unless I'm holding her

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:15 AM
  • 43 Replies

DD is 7 months and for the past month or so she will not sleep unless I'm holding her. Every now and them she willtake a nap in her crib, but it's never more than 20 minutes, if I hold her she'll sleep for an hour. Sometimes she'll take short naps in her car seat too, but again, it's not that often. At night it's almost impossible to get her to sleep in her own bed. I have nothing against co sleeping, I just like tossing and turning some in my sleep, and I can't really do that while holding her. She will be sound asleep but as soon as Itry laying her down she wakes up screaming and crying. Occasionally DH canmake her sleep in her bed at night, but it's usually only for an hour maxm so right when I'm dozing off she wakes up lol.

Is there anything I can do so she's not so picky and clingy? Or could this just be part of her personality and I should learn to cherish it before she grows up?

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Duquesne
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:18 AM
1 mom liked this
I choose to cherish it. These days are fleeting. Some days it's hard when I have things I want to do. But what's more important? I don't know anyone who wishes they held their children less
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kayleesmom42328
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:20 AM
We had this problem with our 6 month old. We just had to let her cry for awhile. After a couple nights of laying her down & just letting her cry she figured out she wasn't going to be held & started going to sleep. Now she sleeps fine as long as she has a full belly & dry diaper.
PortiaRose
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:22 AM
lol exactly. why does it have to be so hard?

Quoting kayleesmom42328:

We had this problem with our 6 month old. We just had to let her cry for awhile. After a couple nights of laying her down & just letting her cry she figured out she wasn't going to be held & started going to sleep. Now she sleeps fine as long as she has a full belly & dry diaper.
PolishMamma2
by Marta on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I know its going to seem funny but try to swaddle her after she is asleep in your arms and then lay her down. She might just need that pressure against her body to make her feel like your there.  I think if you try to swaddle her while she is awake she will fight you. You can also try one of those mother sound bears.

kayleesmom42328
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:27 AM
1 mom liked this
I have no idea!
People who think you have to constantly hold a crying baby & lose sleep are crazy! If dh & I held dd every time she cried & stayed up with her, we would have gotten no sleep!!!

Quoting PortiaRose:

Quoting kayleesmom42328:

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:27 AM
2 moms liked this

I was 35. And I won't take offense... I married late so I could get the foolishness over and done with.

And know what? The life that was worth living didn't start till I was 30!

Quoting PortiaRose:

how old are you? 40+? usually older moms think that way cuz they've already lived all the life they had thats worth living.

Quoting Duquesne:

I choose to cherish it. These days are fleeting. Some days it's hard when I have things I want to do. But what's more important? I don't know anyone who wishes they held their children less

ragitty
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:29 AM
2 moms liked this

Along these same lines, you could also try to swaddle her in your shirts or something that smells a lot like you. 

Quoting PolishMamma2:

I know its going to seem funny but try to swaddle her after she is asleep in your arms and then lay her down. She might just need that pressure against her body to make her feel like your there.  I think if you try to swaddle her while she is awake she will fight you. You can also try one of those mother sound bears.

PortiaRose
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:29 AM
she has to hold her all the time cuz she holds her all the time.

Quoting kayleesmom42328:

I have no idea!

People who think you have to constantly hold a crying baby & lose sleep are crazy! If dh & I held dd every time she cried & stayed up with her, we would have gotten no sleep!!!

Quoting PortiaRose:

Quoting kayleesmom42328:

Toxic.Stardust
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:35 AM
3 moms liked this

to the people who actually gave advice, thank you. I will try swaddling her, maybe in one of my shirts. I'll look into those teddy bear things someone mentioned. And if it still doesn't work, well, I do love snuggling with her most of the time lol

Lindsey6412
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:57 AM
I'm 21 and i agree with her :)

Quoting gdiamante:

I was 35. And I won't take offense... I married late so I could get the foolishness over and done with.

And know what? The life that was worth living didn't start till I was 30!

Quoting PortiaRose:

how old are you? 40+? usually older moms think that way cuz they've already lived all the life they had thats worth living.

Quoting Duquesne:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN