Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Colonoscopy while nursing?

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:55 AM
  • 28 Replies
I have severe stomach pains and aches that've lasted for six months now, have seen different doctors and still have no diagnosis. My GI doc said I can't do a colonoscopy until I'm done breastfeeding but that may be another year at least, as my son is 18 months old. I've read online that lots of moms HAVE done this procedure, its just there doctor tells them to pump and dump for 24 hours afterwards. But I've also read that I can just dump the first batch and feed normally after I feel ok again. What is true!? It's the anesthetic they're worried about.

I've looked on la leche league with no avail and LactMed won't show me results cuz I don't know the exact meds they use. I can wait until I'm done but I do not wannnnnt to! I'm in pain every other day and have no idea what's causing it. Ultrasounds showed no gallbladder issues or liver, kidney, or appendix issues..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
piwife
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:00 AM
2 moms liked this
I had it done when my son was 7 mts. I was only pumping. But that day I pump right before the procedure. After I woke up I pumped and just gave him the milk. I never pump and dump. Once the anesthisia is out of your system you can nurse
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tashntim
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:34 AM
2 moms liked this

I had one done last month and even the anesthesiologist told me I'd be fine to nurse once I could hold baby, but could pump and dump one session if that made me feel more secure. My GI didn't have a problem with it either.

They gave me fentanyl, benadryl and something else in the IV..I can look it up in the morning. 

IrishIz
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:09 AM
You can have the procedure and you don't need to pump and dump. They will likely use proprofol for sedation which is out or your system super fast.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:48 AM
3 moms liked this

Absolutely ZERO need to wait or to pump and dump. Schedule the prodcedure. Your doc is threatening your life here by delaying!

Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:13 AM
1 mom liked this
This! What an irresponsible doctor!

Quoting gdiamante:

Absolutely ZERO need to wait or to pump and dump. Schedule the prodcedure. Your doc is threatening your life here by delaying!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:14 AM

I had it done when I was EBF a 5 month old!! I only missed a couple of feedings while I was away for the procedure. 

xxshelbyxxx
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:02 AM
Omg wow! What an ass! Thank you SO much, I AM going to call him ASAP. I kind of wondered his reasoning when he said he wouldn't do it, cuz I swear I've heard of it other moms doing it and being fine. Thanks so much! Oh and does he have the right to deny me once I call him and ask?

Quoting gdiamante:

xxshelbyxxx
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:03 AM
Wow.. Ok cool cool, great to know. Gosh I'm so irritated my doctor told me I couldn't do it! Is he uneducated or just didnt feel like putting In the effort to do it?

Quoting maggiemom2000:

I had it done when I was EBF a 5 month old!! I only missed a couple of feedings while I was away for the procedure. 

xxshelbyxxx
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:04 AM
Ok thank you, thank you so so so much! How awesome to know. I didn't know wha drugs they'd use but I figured it was something non compatible with breastmilk because he so quickly told me he wouldn't do it.

Quoting IrishIz:

You can have the procedure and you don't need to pump and dump. They will likely use proprofol for sedation which is out or your system super fast.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:04 AM

You have the right to change doctors.

Colon procedures are something that shouldn't be messed around with. Colon cancer is easily fought when caught EARLY... but if it's not then it becomes very difficult. WHile there's no indication of cancer for you, I wouldn't want to take the chance!

Quoting xxshelbyxxx:

Omg wow! What an ass! Thank you SO much, I AM going to call him ASAP. I kind of wondered his reasoning when he said he wouldn't do it, cuz I swear I've heard of it other moms doing it and being fine. Thanks so much! Oh and does he have the right to deny me once I call him and ask?

Quoting gdiamante:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)