Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have severe stomach pains and aches that've lasted for six months now, have seen different doctors and still have no diagnosis. My GI doc said I can't do a colonoscopy until I'm done breastfeeding but that may be another year at least, as my son is 18 months old. I've read online that lots of moms HAVE done this procedure, its just there doctor tells them to pump and dump for 24 hours afterwards. But I've also read that I can just dump the first batch and feed normally after I feel ok again. What is true!? It's the anesthetic they're worried about.

I've looked on la leche league with no avail and LactMed won't show me results cuz I don't know the exact meds they use. I can wait until I'm done but I do not wannnnnt to! I'm in pain every other day and have no idea what's causing it. Ultrasounds showed no gallbladder issues or liver, kidney, or appendix issues..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:55 AM
Replies (21-28):
jjchick75
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:51 PM

I'd be finding a new doctor. That is just ridiculous! 

Quoting xxshelbyxxx:

Omg he won't do it! He said I show no reason to cuz I don't have colon cancer signs and he already tested me for celiac. I said "how is being in severe pain for months not reason for this procure?" I explained how I researched on LactMed AND talked to women who've had it before and all he said was "we can do it without the sedation but you'll be in pain" and I said no im not waiting til I'm done nursing and I'm NOT doing it without sedation, didnt you hear what I just told you? And he said hell talk to the anestiologists. That's it. Wtf is wrong with him?

Quoting jjchick75:

I had one done when my 4 year old was about 7 or 8 months and then ended up having my galbladder taken out a couple of months after that. There is no reason you can't have a colonoscopy done. 

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:41 AM

FIRE HIM. Do not walk back int that office even if you're dying... he'll just kill you faster. Find a new doc.

xxshelbyxxx
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:38 AM
Well his office called yesterday and said I could go ahead and schedule the procedure but that the anestiologists told him I need to pump and dump for 24 hours afterwards. Now I'm confused as to what to do because 99% of moms on here said they didn't need to dump afterwards.. And you see how well my doc informed me THIS far, so I have a hard time following his instructions for anything anymore..

Quoting gdiamante:

FIRE HIM. Do not walk back int that office even if you're dying... he'll just kill you faster. Find a new doc.

IrishIz
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Say okay, don't do what he says and just get the procedure done.  They don't know what is happening once you get home.  They also can't stop you from breastfeeding.

The anesthesiologist also knows nothing about breastfeeding.

If you are at all concerned about the medications call and tell them you want a list of the medications being used during the procedure.  I will look each up and let you know if safe or not.  I can tell you right now...the chances of them not being safe are like slim to none.  

I work L&D as an RN and we have issues in our own hospital with patients being told they have to pump and dump after a procedure (such as a CT with contrast).  They come back to the PP floor being told to pump and dump and the PP nurses have to tell them that they are fine.

Quoting xxshelbyxxx:

Well his office called yesterday and said I could go ahead and schedule the procedure but that the anestiologists told him I need to pump and dump for 24 hours afterwards. Now I'm confused as to what to do because 99% of moms on here said they didn't need to dump afterwards.. And you see how well my doc informed me THIS far, so I have a hard time following his instructions for anything anymore..

Quoting gdiamante:

IrishIz
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Another option....you can "hire" me as your IBCLC and I will make contact with them to discuss the safety of the medications.  I'm sure that would go over well LOL

momonetime
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this
I like this idea. Lol!!

Quoting IrishIz:

Another option....you can "hire" me as your IBCLC and I will make contact with them to discuss the safety of the medications.  I'm sure that would go over well LOL

xxshelbyxxx
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:47 PM
Wow that's an awesome! Hire means pay though right? Lol cuz if I can get them to schedule me the procedure without the expert advice of someone like yourself then I'm gonna go that route. But if they continue giving me problems I'd love to hire you to help me! What does a IBCLC mean?

And thanks for your offer to look up each Ned for me, where do you find that info? Because a mom from CM introduced me to LactMed a few months ago and I've been able to find pretty much every medication so far that I've needed to know about. But see this doc doesn't give a shit what I said, cuz I brought that info to him and he kept saying "well we can do it without sedation." I even said to him "sorry but you aren't educated in lactation so you don't know which meds are and aren't safe with nursing mothers."

Can you private message me so we can talk some more without the quoting bs? Thanks mama

Quoting IrishIz:

IrishIz
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:29 PM
2 moms liked this
Sent you a message!

FYI for all reading...the meds are all perfectly safe. 2 meds are L2 and the 3rd (the one easily changed to something else) is an L3 for 0-6 moths and L2 for older. The 3rd is an opiate and one time use would be okay...there is a better and similar alternative. Nothing to pump and dump for 24 hours over.

If doctors would just consult IBCLCs this could all be avoided!

Quoting xxshelbyxxx:

Wow that's an awesome! Hire means pay though right? Lol cuz if I can get them to schedule me the procedure without the expert advice of someone like yourself then I'm gonna go that route. But if they continue giving me problems I'd love to hire you to help me! What does a IBCLC mean?

And thanks for your offer to look up each Ned for me, where do you find that info? Because a mom from CM introduced me to LactMed a few months ago and I've been able to find pretty much every medication so far that I've needed to know about. But see this doc doesn't give a shit what I said, cuz I brought that info to him and he kept saying "well we can do it without sedation." I even said to him "sorry but you aren't educated in lactation so you don't know which meds are and aren't safe with nursing mothers."

Can you private message me so we can talk some more without the quoting bs? Thanks mama

Quoting IrishIz:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)