Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Sore Nipple after 9 Months of Pain Free Breastfeeding!!!

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:15 AM
  • 14 Replies

So my LO just got her two bottom teeth in. She's on table food now, but still nurses for her naps and at night, and randomly throughout the day if she wants to "snack". I don't know what happened, if it was a poor latch during a night feeding or what, but my right nipple is sore as heck. It's dark red/purplish, and so painful when she nurses. It's even painful just to have fabric over it! It's also her favorite side, and she's having a hard time because it's so painful I only let her nurse on that side a couple times during the day. I don't think it's mastitis but I have no idea what it could be. I've been using lanolin. 

Any suggestions? I really don't want to see my doctor.

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Does this help?

http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/sorenipples-older/

Sometimes a mom will get sore nipples after weeks or months with no problems. Following are six potential causes, plus some troubleshooting tips.

Thrush

Anytime you get sore or cracked nipples all of a sudden, check for thrush symptoms. Thrush usually causes pain in both sides.

Blockage

Mastitis or a plugged duct or a milk blister is a possibility, particularly if only one breast/nipple or area of the breast is sore. It’s unusual to have mastitis, plugged duct, or a milk blister on both sides at once.

Hormonal changes

Are you ovulating or about to get your period? The hormonal changes at these times can cause sore nipples for a few days. Typically, both sides will be sore. Many moms of older babies are more bothered with latch on during these times, and it may feel as if baby is clamping down or scraping his teeth on the nipple, even though he doesn’t seem to have changed his latch. Mom may also feel generally uncomfortable and even irritated with nursing. Some moms get relief from the soreness by taking evening primrose oil or acalcium/magnesium supplement.

Any chance of pregnancy? Often the first sign of pregnancy for nursing moms is sore nipples. More here on pregnancy and nursing. As with soreness that comes with ovulation or menstruation, both sides will typically be sore since the soreness is caused by hormonal changes.

Trauma

Has your baby been pulling on the nipple, bitingscraping teeth or leaving tooth indentations or practicing creative nursing positions? Any type of nipple trauma can cause soreness, and soreness may be on one or both sides.

Skin irritation

Is baby teething? Many times moms experience nipple irritation as a result of teething. The increased saliva and the enzymes in it can irritate nipples. This can be lessened by rinsing the baby’s saliva off the nipples after the feeding. With teething, both sides would typically be sore.

Has baby started solids? Remnants of food left in baby’s mouth can also cause soreness. Rinse baby’s mouth or give him a sip of water before nursing.

Are you prone to getting eczema or psoriasis? Either can cause nipple soreness.

Are you using a new soap, laundry detergent, nipple ointment/cream, skin lotion, shampoo, powder, hair spray, perfume or deodorant? An allergic reaction to any of these might cause sore nipples.

Have you been exposed to poison ivy?

Latch and positioning

Any time you experience soreness, go back to the basics of positioning and latch just as you did in the early days. Even if you have not had problems with this in the past, latching/positioning can occasionally be a problem as baby gets older because older babies usually nurse in all kinds of positions, and the latch can get sort of “sloppy” too. One or both sides may be sore. Improving latching/positioning may be helpful even if there is another primary cause of the soreness. For example, many moms experience sore nipples when pregnant and although this has a hormonal cause, good positioning and latch can still improve the soreness to some extent.

MayFlowerMomma
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:19 AM

I'm having the same problem. It's like her seal has gotten stronger and couple that with bottom teeth, ouch! I had to break the latch last night before bed but this morning it was fine

ACrowsNest
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:47 AM

It doesn't seem like any of these, except maybe the latch thing. I just don't know if I should keep her from nursing on that side until it goes away, or continue painful nursing. I guess I'll have to give my local le leche league a call.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Does this help?

http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/sorenipples-older/

Sometimes a mom will get sore nipples after weeks or months with no problems. Following are six potential causes, plus some troubleshooting tips.

Thrush

Anytime you get sore or cracked nipples all of a sudden, check for thrush symptoms. Thrush usually causes pain in both sides.

Blockage

Mastitis or a plugged duct or a milk blister is a possibility, particularly if only one breast/nipple or area of the breast is sore. It’s unusual to have mastitis, plugged duct, or a milk blister on both sides at once.

Hormonal changes

Are you ovulating or about to get your period? The hormonal changes at these times can cause sore nipples for a few days. Typically, both sides will be sore. Many moms of older babies are more bothered with latch on during these times, and it may feel as if baby is clamping down or scraping his teeth on the nipple, even though he doesn’t seem to have changed his latch. Mom may also feel generally uncomfortable and even irritated with nursing. Some moms get relief from the soreness by taking evening primrose oil or acalcium/magnesium supplement.

Any chance of pregnancy? Often the first sign of pregnancy for nursing moms is sore nipples. More here on pregnancy and nursing. As with soreness that comes with ovulation or menstruation, both sides will typically be sore since the soreness is caused by hormonal changes.

Trauma

Has your baby been pulling on the nipple, bitingscraping teeth or leaving tooth indentations or practicing creative nursing positions? Any type of nipple trauma can cause soreness, and soreness may be on one or both sides.

Skin irritation

Is baby teething? Many times moms experience nipple irritation as a result of teething. The increased saliva and the enzymes in it can irritate nipples. This can be lessened by rinsing the baby’s saliva off the nipples after the feeding. With teething, both sides would typically be sore.

Has baby started solids? Remnants of food left in baby’s mouth can also cause soreness. Rinse baby’s mouth or give him a sip of water before nursing.

Are you prone to getting eczema or psoriasis? Either can cause nipple soreness.

Are you using a new soap, laundry detergent, nipple ointment/cream, skin lotion, shampoo, powder, hair spray, perfume or deodorant? An allergic reaction to any of these might cause sore nipples.

Have you been exposed to poison ivy?

Latch and positioning

Any time you experience soreness, go back to the basics of positioning and latch just as you did in the early days. Even if you have not had problems with this in the past, latching/positioning can occasionally be a problem as baby gets older because older babies usually nurse in all kinds of positions, and the latch can get sort of “sloppy” too. One or both sides may be sore. Improving latching/positioning may be helpful even if there is another primary cause of the soreness. For example, many moms experience sore nipples when pregnant and although this has a hormonal cause, good positioning and latch can still improve the soreness to some extent.

ACrowsNest
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:48 AM

That's how it started with us. It felt like her teeth were rubbing on my nipple, but when I checked it looked like her latch was ok. Woke up the next day a little sore, but no big deal. That was a few days ago, and now it's so painful even my bra hurts.

stargaze281
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:52 PM

If the soreness  becomes too unbearable you can try pumping and feeding the breast milk in a bottle when he needs it.  :-)) Try the nuby bottles, they have teething nubs on the nipple.  :-)

daughteroftruth
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Quoting ACrowsNest:

That's how it started with us. It felt like her teeth were rubbing on my nipple, but when I checked it looked like her latch was ok. Woke up the next day a little sore, but no big deal. That was a few days ago, and now it's so painful even my bra hurts.

nipple red, tender to the touch, hot?   Any lumps?

ACrowsNest
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:20 PM

It's not hot, and there are no lumps. Just purplish/red and REALLY tender.

It's a little better this evening. Still sore, but not nearly as bad, and the color looks a little more normal. 

Quoting daughteroftruth:

Quoting ACrowsNest:

ceckyl
by Kyla on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:22 PM
You're still nursing before any solids are given, right?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
daughteroftruth
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:54 PM

have you tried some gentian violet?  kinda sounds like thrush.  

Quoting ACrowsNest:

It's not hot, and there are no lumps. Just purplish/red and REALLY tender.

It's a little better this evening. Still sore, but not nearly as bad, and the color looks a little more normal. 

Quoting daughteroftruth:

Quoting ACrowsNest:

ACrowsNest
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:02 AM

No... she nurses in between meals and at night.

Quoting ceckyl:

You're still nursing before any solids are given, right?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)