Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breast to bottle?

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:41 AM
  • 24 Replies

Hi ladies,

I'm 25 weeks pregnant, and planning to breastfeed for the first time. I want to exclusively breastfeed for as long as possible. When telling my SO about this, he said we should have her switching between breast and bottle so that she doesn't completely refuse the bottle (when I say bottle, I mean pumping not formula). I feel like that would be a problem because I know there can be problems getting baby to latch to my nipples let alone trying to mix a bottle into the process as well. Any thoughts?

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Some babies go back and forth between breast/bottle with no issues, some do not. It is 99% baby's personaility and about 1% how and when bottles were introduced/used. You don't know if it will cause issues with your baby until you try.

Will you need to be away from baby for school or work? Many SAHM never bother with the bottle. Pumping and bottle feeding is a bit of a pain!

If you decide to introduce a bottle, wait until breastfeeding is well established, at around 6 weeks. No bottles or pumping before then is best.

Some info for you and SO to chew on: 

Are There Differences Between Breastfeeding Directly and Bottle-feeding Expressed Milk?

justone_jen
by Jen on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:37 AM
I would never ever pump if I didn't have to. It's a hassle and more work for mom than anyone because you have to pump while baby gets a bottle to maintain supply. Nursing is so much easier and faster! In my opinion, part of the beauty of nursing is the ease of always having it accessible and at the right temperature. :)

I work full time, and my little one never has an issue taking milk from a bottle while I work. She will not take one with me in the house, though.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lifeforchrist
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:50 AM

pumping is a huge pain, and you have to pump at every feeding you miss with the bottle. So while a bottle seems like a 'good' idea it really makes things a lot more difficult. A bottle can quickly ruin a baby's latch. bottles can also be detrimental to your supply if not done properly. Don't even think about a bottle until after the 6wk mark.

Jujubee12
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:35 PM

I didnt introduce either paci or bottle until he was 6 weeks....hes 5mo now and wont take either still. I cant leave him with anyone for more than 2 hours because I cant get him to take a bottle of pumped milk no matter what we have tried.

mylovey
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:59 PM

I have a baby that refuses to take a bottle, lol. I am OK with it though. I am a SAHM, and I just take him almost everywhere. I can leave though for a few hours, and he is fine. He is 6 months old now, and can stay full much longer.

Mommy to little Miss. Saylor, and little Mr. Finley. 

K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:16 PM

My little guy had supplemental bottles early on as we worked through a weak suck and latch problem.  He took them eagerly because he had to from 4 days old up until he was 10.5 weeks old.  At that point, we made it back to ebf.  The following week, I pumped to try to give him a bottle at bowling so that I wouldn't have to nurse in between every single frame, like I had many times before... he wouldn't take it.  When I had to leave the house without him, I'd always leave some milk but he never drank it for dh.  He only took one bottle after that and it had pedialyte in it as we were preparing for surgery--that was a full 45 minute fight until he finally gave in.  They tried to give him a little bit of breastmilk in recovery right after his surgery because he was hungry but he flat-out refused it and then spent 2 hrs attached to me when he was out of recovery.

Long story short, getting baby used to a bottle doesn't really matter.  They make take it fine one day and then never take one again.  Some bottle rules to remember:

1. If baby's getting a bottle, you need to be pumping at the same time.  So, that whole dh getting up in the middle of the night to feed the baby a bottle means you'll still have to get up and pump.  I'd rather snuggle a baby than listen to a pump in the middle of the night.

2.  When you are separated from baby, leave 1-1.25 oz per hr in no larger than 2-3 oz portions. 

3.  Always nurse when you're together.  Baby should never be given a bottle while you are in the same building.  This prevents flow preference and protects your supply.

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:09 PM
No. It doesn't really work that way. My baby will flat out refuse a bottle when i am with him.... but if i leave him with MIL he will. Either he will or he won't. There is no "training" in it or getting him used to it
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MrsKoolaidPunk
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:20 PM

This. Exactly my case! My 5 month old is going to have to be by herself for the 1st time Saturday, while I go work my new job. She has never accepted a bottle from anyone!

Quoting Jujubee12:

I didnt introduce either paci or bottle until he was 6 weeks....hes 5mo now and wont take either still. I cant leave him with anyone for more than 2 hours because I cant get him to take a bottle of pumped milk no matter what we have tried.

Jujubee12
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh wow, I hope it goes well for you! I imagine that is stressful to think about. Im thinking about trying a tippee cup.. I just havent decided which one to try first.

Quoting MrsKoolaidPunk:

This. Exactly my case! My 5 month old is going to have to be by herself for the 1st time Saturday, while I go work my new job. She has never accepted a bottle from anyone!

Quoting Jujubee12:

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
baby wearing, cloth diapering, attachment parenting, breastfeeding first time mamma
crystalx88
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:47 AM

I think as long as you dont introduce the bottle right away and make sure your little one is comfortable breastfeeding before you start the bottle you shouldnt have any problems.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)