Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

☆BreastFeeding Stories☆

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:55 AM
  • 23 Replies
Hey lovely mommies,

Im 18wks along today. And i am all for breastfeeding and formula but i dont want to jump into just formula feeding without trying breastfeeding. I would greatly appreciate some stories you ladies may have that could help along the way. I may try breastfeeding classes just to go but i want a more real experience from moms who may or may not have struggled doing so. My bestfriend struggled with her first but no trouble with baby#2. This will be our first baby. We are very excited. Any helpful advice is greatly appreciated. Id like to make a little book with helpful baby ideas for when i think i need help.

Thanks in Advanced.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
skylarkdancer
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:02 AM
It is a adventure, it has its ups and downs especially the first time. I had a hard time in the beginning, sore nipples and I was engorged but I stuck with it and my dd is 14.5 months and still nursing. I used soothies and lanolin when I first started and it made all the difference. Good luck and happy nursing and a healthy birth!
xLilBit22
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:04 AM
Thank you!! Another question what are soothies & lanolin?

Quoting skylarkdancer:

It is a adventure, it has its ups and downs especially the first time. I had a hard time in the beginning, sore nipples and I was engorged but I stuck with it and my dd is 14.5 months and still nursing. I used soothies and lanolin when I first started and it made all the difference. Good luck and happy nursing and a healthy birth!
hriabywx4
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Pick up So that's what their for! Great book easy read, good info!

Find a local support group, Le Leche League is usually a good one to find :)

Keep an eye out here cause there's tons of great experience here.

Remember you and baby are learning something new so be patient with yourself.
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Here's a collection of mother's stories for you to read!

http://thebreastfeedingmother.blogspot.com/search/label/mother%27s%20stories

skylarkdancer
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Soothies are these little gel sticky pads u put.on ur nipples. You can put them in the fridge if you like to cool down sore nipples. I used them because I had sore and cracked nipples and it sped the healing up. Lanolin is a cream you put on them to keep them moist and.help prevent cracking and/or treat it.

Quoting xLilBit22:

Thank you!! Another question what are soothies & lanolin?

Quoting skylarkdancer:

alaskandaydream
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:32 AM

My son is just over 3 months old, and I've been breastfeeding him since about an hour after birth :)  We did supplement a small amount daily for about a month, but he's back to 100% breastmilk now.  It has its challenges for sure, and at times you feel like all you are is a set of ta-tas.  I go back to work tomorrow and will continue pumping - my next adventure!  Lots of great information on this website:  http://kellymom.com/

SadieJames
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:36 AM
1 mom liked this

I read and read and read while I was pregnant and after reviewing what I believed was best for me and my LO I decided bfing was our only option.  5 weeks in and were doing great! 

I read so that's what they're for and the womanly art of breastfeeding.  Also kellymom.com and I read ALL the posts in here (okay maybe not all but a lot lol!).  

JessicaHetzel
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:48 AM

It is SO hard at first. So painful. It helps a lot ot have support from your family. My husband supports me 100% and encourages me. My family on the other hand thinks I just need to give him formula. But I have spent many days and nights crying because of how much time it takes. Also having a toddler on top of it is hard because every time I sit down to nurse, he wants something. But now almost 4 months old, it is a breeze. I have mastered nusring and laying down whole nursing so I can sleep better at night. It is also amazing not to have to pack the diaper bag full of bottles and formula and worry about if you will have enough while you are out and about.

happy2bmom25
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:01 PM
Hopefully your lo will have a great latch and catch on right away!
Kellymom.com is a great online resource, and la leche league is a great live and on line resource. Most of my babies took to it right away, but we did have issues. My first did not latch on for 24 hours, this can be normal and I was not worried but dh was. My second was a preemie and was in the nicu for 26 days where he mainly received formula. within 2 days of getting home he was all breast milk. mil was not happy about the baby crying while making the transition, but dh was supportive and backed me up.
Next we had twins. They sucked from 4 pm to 11pm each night for the first 3 months. It was agonizing to sit for so long, but that is what they needed to do to build their supply.
My baby now has downs syndrome, and breast feeding is very difficult. He us six Weeks old and consistently sucks every nigjt for 30 minutes. Recently he has added an additional day session. I am hoping to eventually wean off the formula...it may take a while, and it also may not happen at all.
Also, my bidy dies not respond to the pump,.so that has never been an option for me.
Like I said in the beginning, hopefully it will all be easy and natural for you!
Cmgmqmmom
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I breastfed both my boys, but with my first I did supplement formula when he got to be around 6 months old. I went back to work and pumping wasn't working.

I think the one thing I wish people had told me is that it hurts, your nipples get sore and dry. There were times when my sons would latch and I'd want to scream. But that goes away (It really does! I promise!) and using lanolin helped. I also found that taking a bit of the breastmilk and rubbing it on my nipples after he was done nursing made a huge difference too.

Learn to nurse laying down, it's a great way to get rest while you are nursing and there is something so sweet about lying next to your little one. =) Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN