Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

And it's people who think like THIS that makes me feel uncomfortable about breastfeeding in public. This was posted in another group.

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:53 AM
  • 218 Replies
1 mom liked this

I know that breastfeeding is natural and I shouldn't be ashamed of it but if someone where to see me breastfeed and come up to me and tell me all of this, I would honestly be at a lose for words. I would feel ashamed.

No, I didn't post this to start drama, like some of you might think.

I posted this because I want to be a strong person, I want to have the confidenece of going out in public to breastfeed and I just can't do it! I'm pissed at myself for it. How do you gain confidence when it comes to breastfeeding out in public?

Yeah, Yeah, I’ve heard it all before…breastmilk is best, it gives your baby immunities, it’s a bonding experience, whatever.  Blah, Blah, Blah.  Before you go calling all your La Leche friends on me, hear me out a second.  I am not against breastMILK.  I am against breastFEEDING.  There is a difference.  Breastfeeding is the process of putting your breast in your newborn’s mouth.  Breastmilk can be fed in a bottle.  I am very anti – breastfeeding.

Here’s why:

1. Just because it doesn’t gross you out, doesn’t mean your child won’t be horrified by the thought of it when they get older.  M and B actually took a poll of their teenage friends.  Not one single boy would admit to being breastfed, and only 2 girls would admit to it.  I find it hard to believe that out of the 10 or so boys they asked, not one of them was.  They just don’t want anyone to know that they had their mouths on their mother’s breast.  I am personally horrified by the thought of my mother’s breast in my mouth, and my children are extremely happy that mine was never in theirs.  There goes the “bonding” theory.
  2. It’s incredibly unsanitary.  Do you know how many zillions of bugs are crawling on your breast right now?  Our bodies are crawling with microorganisms all the time.  Why would you put that in a newborn’s mouth?  If you can’t sterilize or boil it, it shouldn’t go in your child’s mouth in my opinion.
  3. You might be thinking, “It’s natural.  That’s why God gave me breasts.”.  And you’re 100% right.  However, God also gave you an appendix.  Modern medicine has declared that we no longer need them.  Besides, men have breasts too, just not fatty ones.  So does that mean they are supposed to be pacifiers?
  4. NO ONE wants to be in the room with you when you “whip it out”.  Have you ever sat across the table from a breastfeeding mom?  They just pull out their breast and go at it.  It is the most uncomfortable thing to be the other person trying to have a conversation with them.  Like, “Um..where did you get those boobs…I mean boots.”.  At that point, the breasts are calling you like a freak show.  You don’t want to look, but much like driving past a car accident, it’s inevitable.  Human nature forces us to look.  And I don’t want to see your breasts.
  5. Breastfeeding moms tend to think that they are doing such a wonderful thing that everyone should be subjected to it.  WRONG!!  Yes, you have a right to feed your child any way you want to.  I have a right not to be exposed to it when I am at the mall or in a restaurant.

Did I breastfeed?  No, but not because I didn’t want to do what was best for my children.   If I was able, I would have pumped.  I would NEVER, EVER, subject my child to knowing that my unsanitary breast was in her mouth.  If you choose to feed your child breastmilk, that’s great.  Breastmilk is the best for your baby, and you should do whatever is best.  But before you go shoving things in your children’s mouth without their consent and offending everyone around you, you might want to think about it and invest in a pump.  If you can’t afford one, your local WIC office will lend you one.

What do you think??
*ETA* This is not written by me. I found it this morning, and was just curious what others thought.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamabens
by Miranda on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:58 AM
6 moms liked this

I didn't read the part from the other post because it will make me angry & I'm not in the mood for that. The way I gained more confidence to nip  though?? I realized that my babies needs were more important & trumped any idiots 'feelings' about how I fed my child & where. I will never understand the train of thought of caring how others think, mainly because my children are my number one priority & screw everyone else.My child is my number one priority period.

BabyFruit Ticker

SadieJames
by Sarah on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:58 AM
17 moms liked this

Honestly, people who think like this are jackasses (don't know if I can say that in this group but I am).

They are clearly not educated in what actually having baby at breast vs pumping does and how much more advantageous it is to actually BREASTfeed.  

And people may post this nonsense but I seriously doubt anyone would approach a breastfeeding mom in public and say this.  If someone approached me while I NIP and starting spouting this garbage my response would be "Clearly you have some deep seated issues with your mother.  Maybe you should seek some professional help.  Would you like me to google a local psychologist?"

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:59 AM
6 moms liked this
Sooo wrong on so many levels, but also greatly exaggerated. This person apparently knows nothing of the antimicrobial properties of breastmilk, or that breastfeeding can be done discretely. This person would probably also not have the guts to say this to s nursing mother either. Just a public expression of incredible ignorance.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

mamabens
by Miranda on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:00 PM
21 moms liked this

Ok now that I've read the other stuff, I've read it before & she's an idiot. This person doesn't alow herself to have a vaginal birth either becuase c section is more sanitary....eye roll. I wonder if she skipped the actual sex part to get pregnant because that's nto sanitary either.

BabyFruit Ticker

SadieJames
by Sarah on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:01 PM
7 moms liked this

And FYI the only time I've ever felt weird NIP ( DD is only 5 weeks old but I have nursed her everywhere I've gone) is at DH company party (he's in the Army in an all male unit).  I sat in the corner under a blanket but all the guys yelled at me for hiding.  They were awesome about it and now I toss a blanket over my shoulder and nurse while talking to them.  It really is okay mama!

ACrowsNest
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:01 PM
3 moms liked this

Wow. Just.... Wow.

That has got to be the most ignorant person on the planet. 

People who think like that are few and far between. I am always freaked out to breastfeed my baby in public, but I do it anyway because she needs to eat. Just throw a cover over your LO. No one's going to bother you, and if they do just tell them to mind their own damn business. 

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:03 PM
8 moms liked this

You want my opinion?   Don't waste your time on idiots and worrying about what they think.   

piwife
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:05 PM
3 moms liked this
Well she sounds like a crappy idiot who is too stupid to know anything... feel bad for her kids. .. have an idiot for a mother.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kellymom127
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't let them affect you! They are just spouting off nonsense! Like pp said they don't know anything about bfing and I guess they don't realize there are bugs and germs on everything so they have them too to pass them along to their baby by not even beastfeeding!!!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

sissy852
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:07 PM
2 moms liked this
if someone said that to me i would say well my ds needs to eat and i dont want to give him formula
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)