Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

And it's people who think like THIS that makes me feel uncomfortable about breastfeeding in public. This was posted in another group.

Posted by   + Show Post

I know that breastfeeding is natural and I shouldn't be ashamed of it but if someone where to see me breastfeed and come up to me and tell me all of this, I would honestly be at a lose for words. I would feel ashamed.

No, I didn't post this to start drama, like some of you might think.

I posted this because I want to be a strong person, I want to have the confidenece of going out in public to breastfeed and I just can't do it! I'm pissed at myself for it. How do you gain confidence when it comes to breastfeeding out in public?

Yeah, Yeah, I’ve heard it all before…breastmilk is best, it gives your baby immunities, it’s a bonding experience, whatever.  Blah, Blah, Blah.  Before you go calling all your La Leche friends on me, hear me out a second.  I am not against breastMILK.  I am against breastFEEDING.  There is a difference.  Breastfeeding is the process of putting your breast in your newborn’s mouth.  Breastmilk can be fed in a bottle.  I am very anti – breastfeeding.

Here’s why:

1. Just because it doesn’t gross you out, doesn’t mean your child won’t be horrified by the thought of it when they get older.  M and B actually took a poll of their teenage friends.  Not one single boy would admit to being breastfed, and only 2 girls would admit to it.  I find it hard to believe that out of the 10 or so boys they asked, not one of them was.  They just don’t want anyone to know that they had their mouths on their mother’s breast.  I am personally horrified by the thought of my mother’s breast in my mouth, and my children are extremely happy that mine was never in theirs.  There goes the “bonding” theory.
  2. It’s incredibly unsanitary.  Do you know how many zillions of bugs are crawling on your breast right now?  Our bodies are crawling with microorganisms all the time.  Why would you put that in a newborn’s mouth?  If you can’t sterilize or boil it, it shouldn’t go in your child’s mouth in my opinion.
  3. You might be thinking, “It’s natural.  That’s why God gave me breasts.”.  And you’re 100% right.  However, God also gave you an appendix.  Modern medicine has declared that we no longer need them.  Besides, men have breasts too, just not fatty ones.  So does that mean they are supposed to be pacifiers?
  4. NO ONE wants to be in the room with you when you “whip it out”.  Have you ever sat across the table from a breastfeeding mom?  They just pull out their breast and go at it.  It is the most uncomfortable thing to be the other person trying to have a conversation with them.  Like, “Um..where did you get those boobs…I mean boots.”.  At that point, the breasts are calling you like a freak show.  You don’t want to look, but much like driving past a car accident, it’s inevitable.  Human nature forces us to look.  And I don’t want to see your breasts.
  5. Breastfeeding moms tend to think that they are doing such a wonderful thing that everyone should be subjected to it.  WRONG!!  Yes, you have a right to feed your child any way you want to.  I have a right not to be exposed to it when I am at the mall or in a restaurant.

Did I breastfeed?  No, but not because I didn’t want to do what was best for my children.   If I was able, I would have pumped.  I would NEVER, EVER, subject my child to knowing that my unsanitary breast was in her mouth.  If you choose to feed your child breastmilk, that’s great.  Breastmilk is the best for your baby, and you should do whatever is best.  But before you go shoving things in your children’s mouth without their consent and offending everyone around you, you might want to think about it and invest in a pump.  If you can’t afford one, your local WIC office will lend you one.

What do you think??
*ETA* This is not written by me. I found it this morning, and was just curious what others thought.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Replies (211-218):
BabyPink07
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:22 PM
Yeah, google breastfeeding card, new York. Parenting.com has a card for all of the states. I'll try later when I'm not mobile.

Quoting vinalex0581:

what would i goole?

new york state (that's what state i live in) law on breastfeeding with a card?

Quoting BabyPink07:

That's actually part of the reason why bf is so taboo. Doctors told people breastmilk wasn't good enough and formula was better. So it became a social status thing. You only breast fed if you were too poor to afford formula and bottles.

You said you didn't like confrontation, I live for it! I love it! I told hubs I WANT someone to make a fuss, so I can pull out some comebacks, but no one ever has said anything.

Some states have cards you can print out with the state laws on them. You can hand it to anyone who complains, simple as that. You don't have to fight, you can let the card defend you. Try googling it. :)

Quoting vinalex0581:

lol!! that was funny what that manager did to the lady at China Road.

I bet the look on her face was priceless!

awwww, that man compared it to a unicorn, lol!! how sweet.

i didn't even know that there was a generation where formula was pushed on. that's interesting. i thought, from the beginning of time, breatfeeding was encouraged.

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

You just do it.  The more you do it, the more confident you get.  It might help to have DH or someone who has your back (and a backbone of their own) to come along, but overall, most the posts like taht are written by trolls or attention seeking baffoons.  Public opinion tends to be more indifferent if not supportive.  DO people make a scene in public?  Yes.  But I nursed DS1 for a year, and DS2 is almost a year, and I've only had ONE incident.

A lady at China Road told the manager she shouldn't have to see that while eating.  He said she was absolutely right, and when her food came out it was all packaged up to go.  He kicked HER out!

My other NIP story:

I was nursing DS1 and this elderly man kept staring.  Finally, DH confronted him.  The man stuttered out "Well, I've just never actually SEEN anybody breastfeeding before!  It's like seeing a unicorn!"  He wasn't mean or anything, just honest to goodness curious!

To be fair, his generation was the one formula was pushed so heavily upon.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
adrianna1043
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:39 PM
1 mom liked this
The only thing those bullet points prove is that the person that wrote it is an idiot. We all know teenage boys are the keepers of a greater knowledge, smh.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Babymiamomma
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Smh.. This saddens me beyond belief. I'm sure if you asked a bunch of TEENAGERS if they came out of their mothers vagina they would also say no, so should we all start having elective c-sections... Smh.....
I would like to poll the same teens after their children are born & see how their views have changed w/ some maturity and the completion of growth of the judgement center of their brains.

Cassie Rene'

vinalex0581
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:51 AM

lol!!  i'm sorry but after watching that video, i had to laugh at the end when she took her baby off of her boob........her baby girl was probably thinking, "wtf mom!! i was enjoying my milk, why the hell did you have to interrupt me????"  lol!!

Quoting Journeysmama11:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAbndXDK4lA    I don't know how to make it clicky so you have to copy and paste. sorry!

Quoting vinalex0581:

i tried to google it but i ended up getting this instead

click here

can you tell me how to google it, please?

Quoting Journeysmama11:

This is what I do! No cover (the only time I use it is at church, which my son now pulls off so I just sit in the nursery to help out with the kids and other women helping out and nurse without a cover) Two shirt method works great! :) I did practice a lot before I felt comfortable too though! There are youtube videos that show how to do this too!

Quoting MonicaV1982:

Really simple. Nursing tank underneath and and a tshirt on top. unhook the nursing tank, lift the tshirt, latch. Everything is covered.

Quoting vinalex0581:

i know that i asked this before and i know that 2 women answered me but i still don't understand it.

what is the 2 shirt method?

i have a nursing bra and one of those nursing shirts......um.......the one where they have those vertical holes in them so you can nurse without actually lifting your shirt up, do you know what i'm talking about?

i'm going to mcdonalds.........i might wear that and see how it works.  the thing is, i don't have a problem with nursing at mcdonalds (don't know why) but that's the only place i can nurse without feelings bad about it.  i'll probably be better off going some place else to use that shirt.

ugh!! i'm so frustrated with this whole situation.  it's not suppose to be this hard, is it?

Quoting aniters:

Wow this is just sad. Its so sad some women feel this way about breastfeeding. Its not like women don't shower for days and keep feeding their babies without cleaning their breasts first. I always clean my breasts before and after each feeding. All of my siblings were breastfed for 2 years(boys & girls) and they don't think its gross at all. In fact they are very pro breastfeeding. Ugh! This makes be so mad -.- lol
about nursing in public...it's easy once you get used to it. I've been breastfeeding for 14 months and have never gottten a negative comment. I use the 2 shirt method I don't just "whip it out".(although I have no problem with women that do)

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Jujubee12
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 2:43 AM
1 mom liked this

wow just wow. Im too tired and just blown away from the ignorance and closed mindedness to even have a proper response 

lactatingloon
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:10 AM
2 moms liked this
I think she needs to be bitch slapped and I'd be more than happy to do It
k_cook12
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:01 PM
1 mom liked this
This person is clearly ignorant and uneducated about breastfeeding. Do not pay people like this any attention. Pumping is not the same as breastfeeding. Omg! Its stupid people like this that causes mothers not to want to breastfeed their baby.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
vampire2007
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this

the women who wrote this is clearly trying to start drama... dont let BS posts like this get to you.

try to practice how you would nip in your house first ... like with a cover( if that makes you more comfotable) or by layering clothes , etc....

then try nuring in your house in front of close friends or supportive family members.... after that try somewhere in public.

with my first daughter i wouldnt nip then i only nip with a cover... with my second dd i just do it whereever and whenver she ishngry and i dont bother with covers :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)