Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

What makes an AP bf baby this fussy and needy?? HELP!!

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:15 PM
  • 20 Replies

My 10mo son has reflux and eczema. He eats a little bit of table food but not a "meal"... usually just a tbsp or two of whatever we're having. He has been clingy for as long as I can remember, but in the last couple of months he's been worse. Fussy, not sleeping well (he still wakes up at least twice per night, usually three times, and sometimes he wakes up at 4:00-5:00 just crying and won't go back to sleep or nurse), exclusively breastfed except for his few little nibbles of our food, co-sleeps, held often, never CIO...

He has been taking Prevacid for the reflux. I try not to use steroids on the eczema but when it gets bad there's just nothing else that will get rid of it (and believe me, I've tried everything). I recently removed gluten and dairy from both our diets (about 3 weeks) in hopes that this would clear up some of the problem. This was at the advice of my older child's sensory processing OT... we are also having my oldest child tested for celiac.

Anyway, I just can't figure out what is making him so unhappy! It's constant!!! He has a pediatrician appt next week but I'm pretty positive that the Dr won't have any good advice... she rarely ever does. I learn more from digging around on my own than I do from her.

Any advice???

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:58 PM
1 mom liked this

My first thought was dairy allergy--reflux and eczema point that way.  My oldest has SPD and we did allergy testing on the advice of our OT and developmental pediatrician and discovered low-level dairy and egg allergies (didn't show on skin test, barely showed in bloodwork).  Eliminating them was a huge help for both of our kids.  Give the dairy at least another 3 weeks because eczema can be a latent sign of a food allergy and at only 3 weeks in the dairy protein is only just now out of your system--it will take another 3 weeks for it to leave baby's.

For the SPD: red dye is a HUGE trigger for my ds and a lot of other SPD kids as well.  This book has been an amazing, practical guide for us: http://www.amazon.com/Everything-Parents-Integration-Disorder-ebook/dp/B001OLRL74/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1360299309&sr=8-2&keywords=the+everything+parents+guide+to+sensory+integration+disorder

jjchick75
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Dairy allergy was my first thought as well. But also some babies are just fussy and high needs. My oldest was, as is one of my twins. 

ajdoma
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 6:39 PM

I applaud you!  Having a high needs baby is a very challenging, exhausting, thing!  I don't know if I can suggest anything you haven't all ready tried, but I do have a few thoughts.

I am allergic to detergent.  From the time I started having to do dishes every night until we finally got a dishwasher, my hands and arms were covered with eczema that would get bright red, peely and sometimes weepy,  It drove me crazy!  It hurt and itched severely.  So, I think the eczema, alone, could explain the fussiness and clinginess. 

I would think that detergent would be an irritant for anyone who had other allergies that caused eczema.  I would wash everything that ever touches him, including your clothing, real carefully, to get all of the detergent and fragrance out.  Some of my kids were real allergic, too.  With diapers and other things that got quite dirty, I would use detergent to get them clean, but rinse them and then put them through another wash with a little bit of plain soap flakes, to get out the rest of the detergent.  It was easier to find plain soap flakes, then.  You might have to get a bar of unscented soap and grate it yourself.

Good luck, and hang in there!  I know its exhausting! 

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:46 PM

I was going to say diary, but since you've both been off it for 3 weeks then that is off the list. You could go down the list of major allergens, next to try eliminating would be soy, eggs, and nuts.

catholicmamamia
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:01 AM

Quoting maggiemom2000: I was going to say dairy, but since you've both been off it for 3 weeks then that is off the list. You could go down the list of major allergens, next to try eliminating would be soy, eggs, and nuts.

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

amandae21
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Thanks!! We are also red dye free.... and preservative/msg free, mostly organic (except meat - I don't know who can afford organic meat!).  I'll check out that book.

Quoting K8wizzo:

My first thought was dairy allergy--reflux and eczema point that way.  My oldest has SPD and we did allergy testing on the advice of our OT and developmental pediatrician and discovered low-level dairy and egg allergies (didn't show on skin test, barely showed in bloodwork).  Eliminating them was a huge help for both of our kids.  Give the dairy at least another 3 weeks because eczema can be a latent sign of a food allergy and at only 3 weeks in the dairy protein is only just now out of your system--it will take another 3 weeks for it to leave baby's.

For the SPD: red dye is a HUGE trigger for my ds and a lot of other SPD kids as well.  This book has been an amazing, practical guide for us: http://www.amazon.com/Everything-Parents-Integration-Disorder-ebook/dp/B001OLRL74/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1360299309&sr=8-2&keywords=the+everything+parents+guide+to+sensory+integration+disorder

amandae21
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:47 AM

What kind of detergent do you use? I use purex free & clear. I realize this stuff is cheap and probably not the best. Have you ever used homemade laundry detergent? I made some using grated unscented sensitive soap (ivory or dove), borax and Arm & Hammer washing soda. Are any of these irritants? I got out of the habit of making it.

Quoting ajdoma:

I applaud you!  Having a high needs baby is a very challenging, exhausting, thing!  I don't know if I can suggest anything you haven't all ready tried, but I do have a few thoughts.

I am allergic to detergent.  From the time I started having to do dishes every night until we finally got a dishwasher, my hands and arms were covered with eczema that would get bright red, peely and sometimes weepy,  It drove me crazy!  It hurt and itched severely.  So, I think the eczema, alone, could explain the fussiness and clinginess. 

I would think that detergent would be an irritant for anyone who had other allergies that caused eczema.  I would wash everything that ever touches him, including your clothing, real carefully, to get all of the detergent and fragrance out.  Some of my kids were real allergic, too.  With diapers and other things that got quite dirty, I would use detergent to get them clean, but rinse them and then put them through another wash with a little bit of plain soap flakes, to get out the rest of the detergent.  It was easier to find plain soap flakes, then.  You might have to get a bar of unscented soap and grate it yourself.

Good luck, and hang in there!  I know its exhausting! 

eema.gray
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:12 PM

You have probably 3 more weeks before the dairy and gluten fully clear from his system.  :-)  Do you eat soy?  Soy is just similar enough to dairy that around 50% of babies who are senstive to dairy also react to soy.  I'd give all of those a solid six to eight weeks elimination before looking at other possible culprits.

3grls1wildboy
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:28 PM

go to hazelaid.com and read about hazelwood necklaces for babies with excema and tummy troubles worth a try idk if they work but very intresting

amandae21
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Thanks! I try to avoid soy but do have a little bit daily... Silk coffee creamer, earth balance spread. I don't usually cook with it unless a recipe specifically calls for it. Soy sauce once a week or so. Not a lot but that doesn't matter, right? It's all or nothing, right?

Quoting eema.gray:

You have probably 3 more weeks before the dairy and gluten fully clear from his system.  :-)  Do you eat soy?  Soy is just similar enough to dairy that around 50% of babies who are senstive to dairy also react to soy.  I'd give all of those a solid six to eight weeks elimination before looking at other possible culprits.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN