Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

When your sick

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 6:48 PM
  • 11 Replies
When I was growing up my grandma when I threw up stopped all food and if I couldn't keep it down all fluids to. Her policy no food for 24hrs and only water in the time.
Now my sons doc says always force fluids even when he just throws them back up, because he is going to keep some in him. And that will help prevent dehydration.
I'm just wondering what all the other mamas do?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 6:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama-smurf
by Felisha on Feb. 13, 2013 at 6:50 PM
I do the starve a fever, feed a cold thing. I only give water for older kods but younger pedialyte.
justone_jen
by Jen on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:07 PM
I nurse like crazy. Mine had the tummy bug a month or so ago and she would've dehydrated if I hadn't nursed through it.
justone_jen
by Jen on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:08 PM
Also, in addition to preventing dehydration, because breastmilk is so easily digested, even if baby throws it back up, he will have absorbed nutrients anyway.
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:48 PM

I fmy child is stil nursing, I nurse on demand. Breastmilk is the best way to rehydrate (way better than pedialyte). If it is a child who is not nursing, I push very small, frequent drinks of water. Small sips.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:03 PM

This.  Once water or breastmilk stays down for at least an hour, I'll let them have some food if they request it.  We start with a couple of spoonfuls of applesauce or a cracker and see how it goes--20-30 minutes of staying in means they can have more.  If they start throwing up, we go back to water and wait another hour of keeping it in before any more solids.

Their bodies need calories to have energy to fight off the illness and studies have shown that people recover more quickly when they are well-nourished.  Example: the traditional treatment for diarrhea is the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast), but research has shown that adding protein like chicken and a good yogurt wiht active cultures in it helps people to heal and recover faster.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

I fmy child is stil nursing, I nurse on demand. Breastmilk is the best way to rehydrate (way better than pedialyte). If it is a child who is not nursing, I push very small, frequent drinks of water. Small sips.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't force fluids if the fluids are water or pedialyte but breastmilk, YES! Even if it comes back up. It's soothing medicine for as long as it stays down.
mamabens
by Miranda on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:20 PM

If my child is breastfed & throwing up I continue breastfeedign as much as the child wants but do not force other foods.

BabyFruit Ticker

catholicmamamia
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Nurse, nurse, nurse..  :o) 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

kblpooh
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:45 AM
I nursed my son through the stomach bug when he was about 7 months, so he stayed hydrated. When my daughters (12 & 9) get sick I make them drink water each time after throwing up, so they have something go their stomach to throw up the next time, to prevent dry heaving. Once the throwing up calms down, I have them drink Gatorade to replenish the electrolytes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Monkeymama930
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:47 AM
Thanks! My sons 16mnts so he's at the age where sometime he loves to bf and sometimes not. So I didn't know what was best. If he shows an interest I always let him bf (though his doc said at this age pedilight was best when he is sick) but when he gets sick he just sort of wants to lay around and snuggle.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN