Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Boycotting Nestle...

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:56 AM
  • 24 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you boycott Nestle?

Options:

Yes!

No

I didn't use Nestle before anyway.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 25

View Results

I've been thinking for awhile about joining this boycott on Nestle, the only thing we buy from them is chocolate chips for baking. So my husband i bought some from Hershey's and some from Ghiradelli to try out =] 

So, what are your opinions on this boycott?

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
prdmomnarmywife
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:04 AM
Why ? I am lost
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
abigailsmommy11
by Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:08 AM

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/nestle_boycott

Quoting prdmomnarmywife:

Why ? I am lost

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:22 AM

Let me give full disclosure here: My husband is currently working an assignment at Nestle's world headquarters. He's a computer tech and has been there since November. The assignment is expected to end in a couple of weeks.

But I've known about the boycott for 14 years now, having become aware of it during my pregnancy. And no, I've never participated. The company is too large, too widespread to really feel any pinch from a boycott. And it's so widespread that even the most dedicated boycotter can find herslef inadvertently buying Nestle products.

If someone's serious about making changes, then a class-action suit should be filed, as was done with Union Carbide after the Bhopal disaster of the 80s, and as was done for the residents of Hinkley, CA (Erin Brockovich).

I am in no way defending the actions of Nestle in this matter. But the boycott is about 36 years old, and the same things are going on, which says little for its effectiveness.

abigailsmommy11
by Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:29 AM

I understand where your coming from, however, buying their products makes me feel like i am supporting everything that they do. So boycotting them, although it may do nothing to the company, will at least make me feel better. lol

Quoting gdiamante:

Let me give full disclosure here: My husband is currently working an assignment at Nestle's world headquarters. He's a computer tech and has been there since November. The assignment is expected to end in a couple of weeks.

But I've known about the boycott for 14 years now, having become aware of it during my pregnancy. And no, I've never participated. The company is too large, too widespread to really feel any pinch from a boycott. And it's so widespread that even the most dedicated boycotter can find herslef inadvertently buying Nestle products.

If someone's serious about making changes, then a class-action suit should be filed, as was done with Union Carbide after the Bhopal disaster of the 80s, and as was done for the residents of Hinkley, CA (Erin Brockovich).

I am in no way defending the actions of Nestle in this matter. But the boycott is about 36 years old, and the same things are going on, which says little for its effectiveness.

shortyali
by Alicia on Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:50 AM
Keep in mind they have their hands in almost everything from pet food to makeup to ice cream to cereal and on and on. Here's a list of things and half of these I had no idea on: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nestlé_brands#section_18
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:17 AM
I'm mobile and can't read what is going on
ForeverInLove
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:54 AM

I can't boycott... What else would I buy? There just isn't much out there, that isnt' a daughter or sister company of Nestle. 

I do prefer Twix over Nestle Crunch though :P

Rhodin
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Surprisingly, it looks like bottled water would be the hardest thing to avoid.  I spotted nearly every brand our store has on that list.

Quoting ForeverInLove:

I can't boycott... What else would I buy? There just isn't much out there, that isnt' a daughter or sister company of Nestle. 

ForeverInLove
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:38 AM

I don't waste my money on bottled water anyways, lol. We have well water :)

Quoting Rhodin:

Surprisingly, it looks like bottled water would be the hardest thing to avoid.  I spotted nearly every brand our store has on that list.

Quoting ForeverInLove:

mamabens
by Miranda on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Nestle is an EVIL EVIL company.......

BabyFruit Ticker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN