Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

no milk???

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:42 AM
  • 16 Replies
When I try to pump no milk comes out. I need to pump half a days milk and nothings coming out!!! Please help me..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:43 AM

How old is baby?

What kind of pump do you have?

Is this your first time trying to pump?

When will you be away from baby, and how long will you be away?

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Here's some info that may help:

Learn how to express your milk

Preparing for your return to work or school can begin with learning to express your milk.
  • You can express milk by hand, with a breast pump, or by using a combination of the two. 
  • Learning how to remove milk without your baby requires both developing your own expression technique and conditioning your milk ejection reflex (MER) or “let down” to respond to it. 
  • Most mothers experience MER in response to the sensation of their babies suckling as well as other stimuli like the sound of a baby crying. If you are having trouble eliciting MER during expression, try visualizing your baby at the breast or listening to a recording of your baby's cry. Looking at pictures of your baby or smelling your baby's clothes or a blanket may also be helpful. If you have a video feature on your phone, try recording your baby breastfeeding so you can play it back while expressing. One study indicated that mothers who replicated their babies’ sucking patterns by adjusting the cycle settings on their pumps expressed more milk (Meier, et al, 2012). 
  • Warming the breast before expressing and gentle breast massage (working from the armpit towards the nipple with a soft kneading touch or in a circular motion with flat fingers) has been effective at increasing the amounts of milk removed during expression (Jones, Dimmock & Spencer, 2001). 
  • Combining hand expression and massage with a pumping routine has been shown to assist with increasing milk production and output (Morton, Hall & Wong, 2009).
  • Try “hands on pumping” when you are expressing milk to empty the breast.

How do I hand express?

Hand expression requires no special equipment and can be an effective way for you to remove milk when separated from your baby. Some mothers find that hand expression is more effective for them than pumping because it is more comfortable, and they can feel for areas of fullness and apply pressure with their fingers exactly where it is needed. Once you have success with a method of hand expression, you may feel that you are able to meet your baby’s needs without a pump.

How much milk will my baby need while I’m away?

Breastfed babies need, on average, 24 to 32 ounces of milk per day (Kent et al., 2006). If you spread that amount over a full day it equals 1-1.25 ounces per hour. With that information in mind, plan on leaving about 1-1.25 ounces of milk for each hour of separation. Most breastfed babies need no more than 2-4 ounces at each feeding (Kent et al., 2006). Breastfed babies need less milk than formula-fed babies do, and unlike with formula, the amount of breastmilk your baby needs does not increase as he grows bigger. When you return to work, your baby will need only a portion of this daily amount of milk from the care provider, because he will still be getting much of it by breastfeeding during the hours of the day and night when you are together.

fortressmom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Why do you need to pump for half a day? How old is baby and exactly how long will you be separated? Pump type? A little more info will help as well as the article above. Good luck mama! You may also try hand expressing if the pump just won't do it for you.

Shygirl951
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:33 PM
He's 3 months old and I'm starting back to school this Sunday I will be away from like 8-3 and I've pumped once before because my nipples were so sore, but I hated it and never did again. Right now I have a manual evenflo pump

Quoting maggiemom2000:

How old is baby?

What kind of pump do you have?

Is this your first time trying to pump?

When will you be away from baby, and how long will you be away?

asaffell
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Pump one side first thing in the morning while he's nursing. Manual pumps aren't going to stimulate letdown the same way, so pumping while he nurses will help.

SadieJames
by Sarah on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:42 PM
1 mom liked this

You need a new/better pump honestly.  

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Shygirl951:

He's 3 months old and I'm starting back to school this Sunday I will be away from like 8-3
OK, so you need 7 - 8.75 ounces total.
and I've pumped once before because my nipples were so sore, but I hated it and never did again. Right now I have a manual evenflo pump

Ah. No wonder. That one works best when you put it under the tire of your car as you drive off to buy a better pump. We call it the Evilflo for a reason. At least yours hasn't lived up to its other nickname: The Nipple Shredder.
For as little milk as you seem to need, the Avent Isis should suit nicely.You can also check with your insurance for a pump, or WIC if you get it.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:56 AM
I agree that you need a better pump.
If you nurse right before you leave and as soon add you return, you would need 2-3 ounce bottles to be given every 2-3 hours between those nursing sessions. That would be 2-3 bottles.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shygirl951
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:15 AM
Lol thanks for the warning, I'm all new to thus and everyone around me bottle fed so I'm feeling around in the dark. I am getting a new pump through wic but its not for two more weeks, hopefully my nips can hang on!

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting Shygirl951:

He's 3 months old and I'm starting back to school this Sunday I will be away from like 8-3
OK, so you need 7 - 8.75 ounces total.
and I've pumped once before because my nipples were so sore, but I hated it and never did again. Right now I have a manual evenflo pump

Ah. No wonder. That one works best when you put it under the tire of your car as you drive off to buy a better pump. We call it the Evilflo for a reason. At least yours hasn't lived up to its other nickname: The Nipple Shredder.
For as little milk as you seem to need, the Avent Isis should suit nicely.You can also check with your insurance for a pump, or WIC if you get it.

Shygirl951
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:37 AM
Thanks ill try first thing when we wake up

Quoting asaffell:

Pump one side first thing in the morning while he's nursing. Manual pumps aren't going to stimulate letdown the same way, so pumping while he nurses will help.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)