Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

LIQUID GOLD: The Business of Breastmilk **EDIT link added

Posted by   + Show Post

One of our local TV channels is airing a story tonight about the "dangers" of selling and sharing breastmilk. I have been seeing the promos for it constantly since yesterday. They showed a little intro to it this morning. I just KNOW that it is going to infuriate me. I will update once it airs tonight at 11 Pacific.
If anyone lives in the Sacramento area and haven't seen the promos, it will be on KCRA 3 at 11.

EDIT Here is the link for the story.

http://www.kcra.com/news/Pumping-for-profit-Mothers-sell-breast-milk-online/-/11797728/18559156/-/q1nua2z/-/index.html

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:38 PM
Replies (11-20):
LucyHourglass
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:43 AM

*rolls eyes*  I used donor milk, im glad i did. if rhythm wasnt allergic to so many things i would still be using donor milk. everytime i told people i was using donor milk i got a horrid look as a response as if i was feeding hidiseased milk. when he started to not do well a friend of mine even insisted it was the donor milk.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:27 AM
3 moms liked this
Can you imagine the backlash over this story if it was about the health risks of formula?!?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 15, 2013 at 2:36 PM
Exactly! Donor milk is healthier and LESS RISKY than formula!

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Can you imagine the backlash over this story if it was about the health risks of formula?!?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shortyali
by Alicia on Feb. 15, 2013 at 2:46 PM
I told a friend once a few years ago I had to go meet the mom I was donating to and my friend tried telling my how dangerous that was. So I then showed her how her sons formula was being recalled because of metal shavings.

Quoting aehanrahan:

Quoting mostlymaydays:

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 15, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Metal shavings? And then there was the insect larvae. And last year, was it, with the bacterial contamination?  (Actually I read that this Cronobacter bacteria found in formula has been linked to infant deaths since the 80's)

Quoting shortyali:

I told a friend once a few years ago I had to go meet the mom I was donating to and my friend tried telling my how dangerous that was. So I then showed her how her sons formula was being recalled because of metal shavings.

Quoting aehanrahan:

Quoting mostlymaydays:

proudmama11212
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:02 PM
-.-" stupid ignorant people i have a loads of milk and if i knew someone that would need it that cant produce i would totally sell them some! Though i do think the person buying need to know what the person selling is eating any habits thats it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Randi02
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:07 PM

I wonder if they tested samples of infant formula and compared those - enterobacter sakazakii, salmonella, e. coli - all pathogens found in powdered formula - but they don't spout off the dangers of that.

I donated through Eats on Feets in 2010. The little girl passed away, but there were over 200 of us pumping just for her. If I was unable to breastfeed, I would use donor milk long before I would ever start considering formula.

Quoting aehanrahan:

Here is the text of the story.
Pumping for profit: Mothers sell breast milk online

Updated Feb 14, 2013 10:04 PM

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (KCRA)

From collectibles to clothing, there are countless things you can buy on the Internet.

And now, buyers have another option: Human breast milk.

The idea is simple. Mothers post ads on sites such as Craigslist and Only The Breast to sell their surplus breast milk to mothers who cannot produce the milk.

At $1 or $2 an ounce, the milk is roughly half the price that officials charge at registered milk banks.

Other sites, such as Eats on Feets and Milkshare, are platforms for connecting strangers who are donating milk for those who need it.

“There are a lot of moms who can’t produce, so this is their only way to feed kids what God gives you,” said Nina Withers, the administrator for Eats on Feets, who said it is a vital option for many families.

However, experts warn that getting “liquid gold” online comes with big health risks.

“There are so many unknowns with casual sharing (of milk). It’s very dangerous,” said microbiologist Kathleen Slater, with the Santa Clara Public Health Department. “It could be a source of providing an infection to a nursing infant.”

Breast milk is a bodily fluid, like blood, and it can transmit diseases such as HIV, syphilis and hepatitis, in addition to remnants of alcohol and drugs, as well as bacteria.

The Food and Drug Administration does not regulate breast milk because it’s considered a kind of food.

To test whether breast milk purchased online is dangerous, KCRA 3 purchased two samples of milk from Craigslist and shipped it overnight to a lab.

Lab results revealed that both samples contained micrococcus species and staphylococcus species, strains of bacteria that –in the right amount and kind –could make an infant sick, especially one with a weak immune system.

“There’s nobody watching what casual sharers are doing, so if a child gets ill -- there’s no reporting mechanism,” said Pauline Sakamoto, the executive director of Mothers’ Milk Bank.

She said the nonprofit bank screens donors, requires blood tests and pasteurizes the donated milk before sending it to needy infants.

Sakamoto said 3 percent of the moms who go through screening are unaware they carry a virus, and 12 percent of donated milk gets disposed because it isn't safe to feed babies, due to bacteria.

“We don’t want to have moms out of the goodness of their hearts give us their milk and find out the milk made someone sick,” Sakamoto said.

Still, those sharing or selling milk online argue it’s a wholesome trade that helps mothers who can’t produce milk or afford the prices of milk banks.

They believe it’s up to the buyer to research the milk provider.

“You should know your source, their diet and everything about the other mom before you take the milk,” Withers said.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Most moms don't SELL their milk, they donate it. You can find someone to donate to on facebook. Human milk 4 human babies (hm4hb) has pages for every state in the US and so does eats on feets.

Quoting proudmama11212:

-.-" stupid ignorant people i have a loads of milk and if i knew someone that would need it that cant produce i would totally sell them some! Though i do think the person buying need to know what the person selling is eating any habits thats it

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:11 PM

EXACTLY!!!  There are MORE RISKS to using formula than donor milk! I would also choose donor milk over formula if it were ever needed.

Quoting Randi02:

I wonder if they tested samples of infant formula and compared those - enterobacter sakazakii, salmonella, e. coli - all pathogens found in powdered formula - but they don't spout off the dangers of that.

I donated through Eats on Feets in 2010. The little girl passed away, but there were over 200 of us pumping just for her. If I was unable to breastfeed, I would use donor milk long before I would ever start considering formula.

shortyali
by Alicia on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:48 PM
Back in the end of 2010, it was with Enfimil.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Metal shavings? And then there was the insect larvae. And last year, was it, with the bacterial contamination?  (Actually I read that this Cronobacter bacteria found in formula has been linked to infant deaths since the 80's)

Quoting shortyali:

Quoting aehanrahan:

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN