Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

LIQUID GOLD: The Business of Breastmilk **EDIT link added

Posted by   + Show Post

One of our local TV channels is airing a story tonight about the "dangers" of selling and sharing breastmilk. I have been seeing the promos for it constantly since yesterday. They showed a little intro to it this morning. I just KNOW that it is going to infuriate me. I will update once it airs tonight at 11 Pacific.
If anyone lives in the Sacramento area and haven't seen the promos, it will be on KCRA 3 at 11.

EDIT Here is the link for the story.

http://www.kcra.com/news/Pumping-for-profit-Mothers-sell-breast-milk-online/-/11797728/18559156/-/q1nua2z/-/index.html

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:38 PM
Replies (21-29):
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Except it is very unpopular to talk about the risks of formula use. I am frustrated that people would rather ignore it than to face it head on and demand more responsibility and accountability of formula manufacturers. Just like I want to know any potential risks of my son's asthma medications, I would want to know what the risks of formula might be. Then I could weigh risks and benefits and make the best decision for me with full disclosure on both sides of the coin. I hate myself for the handful of times I blindly followed a doctor's advice without asking about risks and side-effects. 

Quoting aehanrahan:

EXACTLY!!!  There are MORE RISKS to using formula than donor milk! I would also choose donor milk over formula if it were ever needed.

Quoting Randi02:

I wonder if they tested samples of infant formula and compared those - enterobacter sakazakii, salmonella, e. coli - all pathogens found in powdered formula - but they don't spout off the dangers of that.

I donated through Eats on Feets in 2010. The little girl passed away, but there were over 200 of us pumping just for her. If I was unable to breastfeed, I would use donor milk long before I would ever start considering formula.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:14 PM
YES, YES, YES!!!
I don't get the ignore the risks mindset. They talk about the risks with everything else, but won't go near it with formula.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Except it is very unpopular to talk about the risks of formula use. I am frustrated that people would rather ignore it than to face it head on and demand more responsibility and accountability of formula manufacturers. Just like I want to know any potential risks of my son's asthma medications, I would want to know what the risks of formula might be. Then I could weigh risks and benefits and make the best decision for me with full disclosure on both sides of the coin. I hate myself for the handful of times I blindly followed a doctor's advice without asking about risks and side-effects. 

Quoting aehanrahan:

EXACTLY!!!  There are MORE RISKS to using formula than donor milk! I would also choose donor milk over formula if it were ever needed.

Quoting Randi02:

I wonder if they tested samples of infant formula and compared those - enterobacter sakazakii, salmonella, e. coli - all pathogens found in powdered formula - but they don't spout off the dangers of that.

I donated through Eats on Feets in 2010. The little girl passed away, but there were over 200 of us pumping just for her. If I was unable to breastfeed, I would use donor milk long before I would ever start considering formula.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:00 PM
The rampant prescription of reflux meds disturbs me, too. I've yet to hear that a dr has covered the possible side-effects, short term and long term.

Quoting aehanrahan:

YES, YES, YES!!!

I don't get the ignore the risks mindset. They talk about the risks with everything else, but won't go near it with formula.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Quoting aehanrahan:

Quoting Randi02:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:25 PM

I know, that too! If doctors were better educated about lactation, they would know that most cases of reflux are really a result of oversupply and overactive letdown.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

The rampant prescription of reflux meds disturbs me, too. I've yet to hear that a dr has covered the possible side-effects, short term and long term.

Quoting aehanrahan:

YES, YES, YES!!!

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Quoting aehanrahan:

Quoting Randi02:

nocalmegan
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:28 PM
I personally would never ever buy BM from someone online. Just in case. Because they are right, if it hasn't been tested who knows what's in it.
mamabens
by Miranda on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:10 AM
2 moms liked this

BUT most women who are willing to donate breastmilk are also breastfeeding their own child. Do you really think if they're going to that trouble they'd risk hurting their own child much less someone elses?

Quoting nocalmegan:

I personally would never ever buy BM from someone online. Just in case. Because they are right, if it hasn't been tested who knows what's in it.

BabyFruit Ticker

nocalmegan
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:06 AM
Most. But I still wouldn't take the chance and use untested milk off craigslist or anything like that

Quoting mamabens:

BUT most women who are willing to donate breastmilk are also breastfeeding their own child. Do you really think if they're going to that trouble they'd risk hurting their own child much less someone elses?

Quoting nocalmegan:

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 16, 2013 at 2:43 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't go to craigslist looking for donor milk either. I would go to a milk sharing group and ask any mom willing to donate for a blood test to ensure that she's healthy and clean. I would meet her in person before ultimately deciding to take her milk or not. This story didn't go into the other side much. It is very one sided.

Quoting nocalmegan:

Most. But I still wouldn't take the chance and use untested milk off craigslist or anything like that

Quoting mamabens:

Quoting nocalmegan:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabens
by Miranda on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:44 AM

Oh goodness I wouldn't go to Craigslist either, but I wouldn't BUY milk from anywhere. I would stick to reputable donation places like elf or hm4hb. You can ask the moms who donate  for a clean bill of health from their dr too. 

Quoting nocalmegan:

Quoting mamabens:

Quoting nocalmegan:

BabyFruit Ticker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)