Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Will she get the hang of it?

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:49 PM
  • 13 Replies
My dd2 is one day old :) I have flat nipples but our first nursing session after birth was outstanding. Her latch was great and she nursed from both breats wonderfully.

Every session since then has been rough. She seems to have a hard time "suckling" and gets frustrated. I just keep trying and offering and she has had some good feedings. Will she eventually get the hang of this? The LC has me using a shield today until she gets the hang of it, since she was refusing to latch after a few feedings.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:55 PM
How were her diaper counts before using the shield?
proudmama11212
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:57 PM
She will :) keep trying! The first six weeks are the hardest! After thats its alot easier
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BoBoMama08
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:02 PM
She had one wet and one soiled.

Since then she pretty much is having one per feeding!

They said part of the issue may be that I was on magnesium for pre-e, so she's super sleepy. Maybe just lazy right now?

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

How were her diaper counts before using the shield?
asaffell
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Drop the shield and work on her latch. She's brand new, you both have to learn this. :)

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Yes. She will. But not in a day and probably not in a week. It takes that first six weeks to get the full rhythm together.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:31 AM

And dump the shield. Get breast SHELLS. Wear between feedings. Expect to constantly do the unlatch/relatch dance for the first couple of weeks; it' takes that long before babies develop the real leechlike qualities and stay on All. The. Time. **grin**

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:50 AM
I agree with this.

Quoting gdiamante:

And dump the shield. Get breast SHELLS. Wear between feedings. Expect to constantly do the unlatch/relatch dance for the first couple of weeks; it' takes that long before babies develop the real leechlike qualities and stay on All. The. Time. **grin**

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justone_jen
by Jen on Feb. 15, 2013 at 2:21 AM
You need shells, not shields. :) They'll draw your nipples out, so baby can latch easier.
justone_jen
by Jen on Feb. 15, 2013 at 2:22 AM
And yes, she'll get the hang of it. You're both learning, but soon you'll be pros!
BoBoMama08
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:04 AM
Thanks ladies! We will drop the Sheilds today. I put shells on after our last feeding and will rely on those :)

I also found she does better just nursing from one side each time, keeps her less frustrated. When I am home should I pump from the other side (I do want to have a little stash/donate)?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN