Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

...what my poor baby girl is categorized as. After satisfying weight gain, she lost a few ounces since last week. I know she gained quite a bit since her last weight check last week, but seeing as how I don't have a scale, I'm not sure exactly what she gained. Anyway, they wanted to admit her to be monitored. She doesn't have to have any labs or anything since her doctor took care of that a couple weeks ago and those all checked out. She had an appointment with an ENT on Tuesday, but he didn't see anything wrong with her tongue. My IBCLC thought that she may have been tongue tied, but guess not. They have me pumping, then feeding her (I know pumping isn't an indicator of what I'm producing, but I learned that apparently my right one is on strike for pumping lol), and finally, topping her off with formula. She's not a fan of the formula, but she'll drink it eventually if she's hungry enough. I'm not stressing, because I know that I don't necessarily have to rely on formula, but I will do the bare minimum to keep her happy while in the hospital.

On the bright side, this hospital stay is a nice little vaycay from the drama going on in my house. I'll miss my 2 year old son, but he's in good hands. Anyway, keep my little girl in your thoughts! :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:09 PM
Replies (31-33):
eema.gray
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:34 AM

You referred earlier to chaos in your home.  Is it possible she wrote an admittal for the baby but really is trying give you a break from your home life?

Quoting aydensXmommy:

Thank you for breaking it down for me. All the weights from 8 weeks to now are on the same scale. Funny thing was, she even had RSV during weeks 4-6, so I'm quite surprised she gained what she did.. As far as her clothes go, they don't for as snugly this week as they did last week, but it's still far better than it has been before. My son was FF and even he stayed in newborns for the first four months. I really do think she's just a slow gainer.

Now her old pedestrian? She would have had her in the hospital by a month. I hated that woman, and her new pediatrician I love so far. Yes, I know it seems drastic to put my daughter in the hospital over a few ounces, but I'm not complaining. I am not able to see first hand what I'm doing wrong. I'm not able to pump like I should at home, and even here in the hospital she's had more breastmilk than formula. She doesn't like it too much, and she's slowly gaining, so the nurses aren't pushing the formula issue. Besides, I'd really much rather be here than at home.

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
nermall1102
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:15 PM
I agree with this. Not trying to scare you Momma but if they suggest the birth to three program try ur best to decline it bc its state and county run. You will be asigned a birth to three worker and they help the social workers and child protective services take children and babies. Also the WIC program does the same thing. Again not trying to bring more stress. Im only looking out for you sweety and ur babes. Ive been there with one of my children and a grand baby. I dont want to see anyone go through it.

Quoting IrishIz:

How old? List of weights...

Seems like quite the jump to throw her in the hospital with a few ounce loss. I would be watching my back!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:51 PM

http://thebreastfeedingmother.blogspot.com/2012/09/breastfeeding-baby-with-lip-and.html

Breastfeeding a Baby with Lip and Posterior Tongue Ties

Today I have a guest post from a mom, Diane Coombs of New Foundland, Canada, who shares her story on breastfeeding a baby with lip and tongue tie.

My baby girl is nine months old today! Our breastfeeding relationship got off to a rough start because of an undiagnosed posterior tongue tie and lip tie. The pediatrician in the hospital did not diagnose her, neither did our LC nor family doctor. I was told over and over it was 'poor latch' or thrush or 'lazy feeder.' All were incorrect. 

Scarlett was gagging, coughing, extremely gassy, and she 'clicked' with each suck, my poor nipples were being crushed and so badly abraded my daughter would spit up blood after feeding. Nursing was making her so tired, she was sleeping through feeds to conserve calories, and was losing weight in a vicious cycle. 

I researched what could be causing our issues, trusting my gut that there was something more wrong besides the diagnosis given. I went to a LLL meeting and met a mom whose story matched mine. She was unable to get her son treated locally so she went to see Dr. Kotlow, a pediatric dentist in Albany, NY - the leading expert in the field of tongue and lip tie. Immediately I got in touch with Dr. Kotlow. He diagnosed the problem via pictures I sent him, and I quickly booked our flight: 1500 miles from Eastern Canada to Albany. She was treated (laser revision) and immediately, she latched PERFECTLY! 

I am not saying each baby with latch issues is tongue or lip tied, (and not every baby with a lip and/or tongue tie has trouble breastfeeding) but if you are having problems, and seem to have no answers - research it and see if tongue tie (especially POSTERIOR tongue tie) and/or lip tie is the issue. Here are some places to start:

Posterior Tongue Tie Information

Self Help for tongue tie and latch (photos and descriptions which may help you find tongue tie yourself, plus tips on improving latch)

Breastfeeding with an upper labial tie (lip tie)

Trouble Breastfeeding? Look in your baby's mouth. (Overcoming lip and tongue tie with an older baby)

To share with a reluctant provider: The American Academy of Pediatrics' newsletter on tongue tie and breastfeeding

I hope you don't have to jump through as many hoops as we did, and I hope you have someone closer to you who is an expert in the field. See the list of frenotomy surgeons here to find one near you: http://www.lowmilksupply.org/frenotomy.shtml

Cheers, and happy breastfeeding! 

She's about 7.5 months here. 

WARNING ON NEXT PIC: Post revision scar of the lip tie - might make some squeamish! Before's on the left, after's on the right. The whole look of her face changed! The before pics were takes two weeks before the after. 

Her posterior tongue tie - very hard to diagnose unless you know what to look for. 

Here is a video on finding a posterior tongue tie:
If you need help with breastfeeding, or suspect your baby has a tongue or lip tie, a Breastfeeding Counselor La Leche League LeaderNursing Mother’s Counsel or International Board Certified Lactation Consultant may be able to help.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)