Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bottle problems...

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:35 PM
  • 10 Replies
Dd just actually took a bottle for the first time. She drank 3oz. But now it's been about an hour and she has still seemed hungry. But I've heard to only give them 3oz at a time, but if she's still acting hungry, what do I do?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SadieJames
by Sarah on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:37 PM
Why are you giving her a bottle?
jjchick75
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:41 PM

This! You shouldn't be giving her a bottle.

Quoting SadieJames:

Why are you giving her a bottle?

MrsNiko88
by Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Put her on the boob

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:39 AM

If she still seems hungry,. put her to breast. Although I seem to recall you were transitioning to bottles for good? If I'm right, feed her again. ONE ounce, burp. Next ounce, burp. Slowest flow nipple.

MOMMY2ACR
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:01 AM
Thanks. I was actually waiting for you to come give me an actual answer :)
I decided not to go to bottles for good after reading what the ladies here had to say. I want dd to take a bottle just so I have some peace of mind when I leave her for a few hours. So I know that she won't be screaming or starving while I'm gone.

Quoting gdiamante:

If she still seems hungry,. put her to breast. Although I seem to recall you were transitioning to bottles for good? If I'm right, feed her again. ONE ounce, burp. Next ounce, burp. Slowest flow nipple.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:04 AM

The couple of times I gave DD a bottle she always wanted to nurse afterward... it's just because you're there and she wants to nurse.   With a caregiver, she will take the absolute minimum (1-2oz, if that) and be done.  

I've had 2 kids now who wouldn't take bottles... and DD who will, but not very willingly.   It's not really a big deal... they always did just fine when I left.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Ah. Then stop giving the bottle yourself. REALLY. Put her to breast.

All the practicing you do doesn't really mean a thing...because baby will do as she will when you're gone. And may just refuse the bottle entirely. It's quite common, known as reverse cycling. It's actually very desirable. No baby will starve herself. **smile** She may scream only because she's with someone who is Not Mom. And she'll get over it.

Go put that baby to breast and don't waste the pumped milk... trust me here!

Quoting MOMMY2ACR:

I decided not to go to bottles for good after reading what the ladies here had to say. I want dd to take a bottle just so I have some peace of mind when I leave her for a few hours. So I know that she won't be screaming or starving while I'm gone.

Quoting gdiamante:

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 15, 2013 at 2:43 AM
What she said!

Quoting gdiamante:

All the practicing you do doesn't really mean a thing...because baby will do as she will when you're gone. And may just refuse the bottle entirely. It's quite common, known as reverse cycling. It's actually very desirable. No baby will starve herself. **smile** She may scream only because she's with someone who is Not Mom. And she'll get over it.

Quoting MOMMY2ACR:

Quoting gdiamante:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:45 AM

YEP!

Quoting aehanrahan:

What she said!

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting MOMMY2ACR:

Quoting gdiamante:

IrishIz
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Do you have immediate plans to leave her?  Seriously because she might be okay with the bottle today and tomorrow she might have an issue with it.  So "practicing" doesn't always give you a kid who is happy about a bottle.  

So if you want to keep bottles going I would do them as infrequently as possible.  Slow flow nipple, feed upright, feed a little, burp, feed a little, burp...you want it to be a LONG process.

If she still seems hungry...breast.  She might just need more suckle time and the best place for her to do that is the breast.

Quoting MOMMY2ACR:

Quoting gdiamante:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)