Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sleeping too much at night?

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:14 PM
  • 6 Replies
I keep reading about other breastfed babies waking to eat frequently through the night or constantly eating most of the night. My daughter does not do this! Should I wake my 10 week old? As in is it too long of a stretch at night? She will typically nurse to sleep or finish nursing and fall asleep jn my arms but then i can lay her down next to me usually between 10 to 12 pm. Then she sleeps until 4 am to 6-6:30 am almost always hitting the 6 hour mark occasionally a bit shorter and never going more than 7 hours. I am a SAHM so during the day she nurses completely on demand and exclusively. From about 2 to 3 hours before the time she goes to sleep she constantly nurses (right now). We bed share so she is right next to me and could nurse but she sleeps. Her diapers are great (easily 6 a day probably closer to 9 or 10)and her weight is of no concern (don't know her exact weight but she is at least 10lbs and was 6lbs at her lowest born at 6lbs 11oz, csection baby). I just keep reading about breasted babies eating constantly or frequently during the night. Occasionally (due to a slight over supply) I've felt engorged during the night and have attempted to nurse her but she wants to sleep, should I make more of an effort to actually fully wake her and feed her or let her sleep? I only breasted my 1st daughter for 3 weeks then it was formula she was a horrible sleeper and never "slept through the night" until she was well over a year old (really not even until she was 2 almost 3), at this age she ate every 3 hours... So this is so different for me!

Edited for typos... Sorry mobile, gotta love autocorrect!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
bebe_ju-rah
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like my 4 week old. He sleeps from 11 to 6:30. I'm not waking him!
Mrsfarr
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Every baby is different. My two week old can sleep for 5-6 hours at a time without issue. She nurses on demand as well durring the day so I know she's getting plenty to eat. As long as diapers are happening well(which they are at 6-10/day), you're good.
Emadele
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Everything sounds fine! Because you're a SAHM baby has free access all day long. She doesn't have to 'make up' any calories or ounces missed during the day like she would if you were working. Both of mine have woken throughout the night to nurse. Ds2 is taking longer stretches of sleep at night than ds1 ever did but he will sleep eat throughout too. I would have welcomed the sleep stretches you are getting when mine were that age. As long as she is gaining as she should, her output is good and she is meeting milestones I would not be waking use to eat.
Count yourself lucky that you've got such a good sleeper! Don't jinx it by saying 'what's wrong!' :)

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:24 PM
1 mom liked this
The only time I'd wake a sleeping baby is if there were issues with jaundice or weight gain. Your baby is doing great with the weight. I hope you didn't jinx yourself! More often than not breastfed babies seem to digest quickly and get hungry sooner but there are exceptions and you've been gifted with one. Enjoy it as long as it lasts.
ljpaszek
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you ladies for the reassurance and info! Hopefully I didn't jinx myself!!! She is nursing to sleep right now. :)
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:18 AM

my babe was doing 8 hours at that age... now I'm lucky to get 3.   enjoy it while it lasts!  :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)