Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Dr vent

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:25 AM
  • 4 Replies
Z is 4 months today and had his well check. The practice I take the kids to has some really good drs, but some are questionable. The dr we seen today (and at his 2 month appointment), I don't agree w/ some things that they want me to do. At his 2 month appointment, he wanted us to start Vit D supplements. I did. For 2 days, he screamed. He was overly gassy. He wouldn't eat or sleep. I stopped giving them to him. We live in SW PA. We go out when its nice. DF agreed that unless they can prove he is not getting enough D, not to give him the drops. This time, he wants me to start him on iron supplements. That would be all great, but my kids are at risk for Hemochromatosis, which is a genetic disorder that causes the body to store too much iron. My MIL is a carrier for 2 types of it and my DF shows signs but his dr won't test him. They aren't worried about it with my daughter bc, as a female who will have a natural way of blood letting, she will not develop the signs until she is past menopause. Men usually start to show signs between 30 and 40 yrs old. DF showed some signs when I met him at 27. Dr completely forgot to talk to me about it in the room and called me while I was walking home. Handed me a script when I came back and walked away. He also told me to start him on solids. He cannot sit up unassisted, still has the tongue thrust reflex, no teeth, and shows no interest in food. He's not ready. Luckily, DF agrees with me on that. I just don't like pushy drs. :-( Its bad enough Z breaks out everytime someone touches him there bc he's got extremely sensitive skin.

On a good note, he's growing wonderfully. At birth, he was 7lb 7oz and 20in. Lowest weight was 7lbs 1oz, 7lbs 4oz at discharge and continued gaining after that. Today, he was 15lb 9oz and 26 1/2 in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:33 AM

sometimes you just have to smile and nod, or just tell them that you don't plan to do whatever it is.   they are just giving advice... their opinion.   it's no better than anyone else's opinion when it comes to feeding/sleeping etc..

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:48 AM
I'll bet the vitamin D that you gave was made by enfamil. That stuff is nasty and ruins the virgin gut. IF your decide to give vitamin D again in the future, look for Carlson's or Just D brands. They are tasteless and require only one single drop per day that you can put on your nipple before nursing.
Iron supplementation can actually CAUSE anemia in a breastfed baby! You have another very good reason to avoid supplementation.
That doctor has gone against all of the recommendations of EVERY medical organization by telling you to start solids before 6 months! I would refuse to ever see that doctor again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
squeakers2
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:09 PM
Yes, it was the Enfamil. It was what the dr called in for him and usually I do research on stuff before giving them, but we were leaving right after the appointment to go out of town. There are a few drs that I've seen that are great. There's on in particular that I love. He knows my daughter's case very well. She has JRA and he was the one who sat down and made sure I understood the meds she was going on and what to expect with her condition. He seen Zavian from birth until he seen a different dr at 2 months. I just take the smile and nod approach most the time with drs.

Quoting aehanrahan:

I'll bet the vitamin D that you gave was made by enfamil. That stuff is nasty and ruins the virgin gut. IF your decide to give vitamin D again in the future, look for Carlson's or Just D brands. They are tasteless and require only one single drop per day that you can put on your nipple before nursing.

Iron supplementation can actually CAUSE anemia in a breastfed baby! You have another very good reason to avoid supplementation.

That doctor has gone against all of the recommendations of EVERY medical organization by telling you to start solids before 6 months! I would refuse to ever see that doctor again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:11 PM
Even aap and who recommend no iron drops..wth is this doctors
Problem
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN