Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Help me!!!

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:11 AM
  • 8 Replies
This is a bit off topic, but you ladies seem to give the best advice so here goes..and this is mostly directed at AP moms.
I have a 6 year old and a 6 week old. I'm doing my best to get the hang of having two, but the baby is making it difficult. He is very fussy most of the time. I am trying to keep my older son's bedtime routines the same as always because he has school and I just don't want his world changing too much since I had another baby. Problem is, the baby has a terrible witching hour (hours, I should say) and it's during bedtime. It is so distracting for my older son and while he is very understanding about it, I can't help but feel terrible that he is getting such little attention from me.
I am not a fan of leaving the baby to cry either so that won't work for me. I want them both to get what they need but it seems impossible at this point. I am open to any suggestions. Thanks ladies!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
babymine
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:14 AM
I should add that the baby is easy as pie all day until about 3pm. Then school gets out and everyone is home. The house goes from quiet and calm to chaotic. There's nothing I can do about the chaos, but at that point baby gets overstimulated and overtired and just will NOT fall asleep! Little stinker. :)
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:20 AM

Is daddy around to help out?   We take a "divide and conquer" approach.   I get baby ready for bed and nurse her, while daddy gets the boys ready.   They come and kiss us both goodnight and daddy tucks them in.  

It's different than it was... but it's always different when you introduce a new family member. 

The "witching hour" should pass pretty soon.   Babies that age just tend to get overstimulated really easily... soon enough he will be facinated with all the chaos!

Also, have you tried wearing him in the evening?   Taking a nice walk shortly before bed?   

babymine
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:31 AM
Dad doesn't live with us so he isn't here to help. Even when he's here he acts clueless anyway...
I do wear him, pretty much all the time. I know I probably just need to be patient as I know this will pass. :/

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Is daddy around to help out?   We take a "divide and conquer" approach.   I get baby ready for bed and nurse her, while daddy gets the boys ready.   They come and kiss us both goodnight and daddy tucks them in.  

It's different than it was... but it's always different when you introduce a new family member. 

The "witching hour" should pass pretty soon.   Babies that age just tend to get overstimulated really easily... soon enough he will be facinated with all the chaos!

Also, have you tried wearing him in the evening?   Taking a nice walk shortly before bed?   

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 15, 2013 at 2:45 AM
My suggestion is babywearing. Do you have a sling or wrap?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:18 AM

You're really doing as much as you can.

momonetime
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:04 AM
I went through the same thing with my 4 yo dd when I had a new little one in October. DH travels every week Thursday-Sunday, so I didn't have a lot of help ether and ds was suuuuch a needy baby and would cry every night from 5-9. I don't have much advice because I felt like I was barely scraping by, but I wanted to let you know that it will get better!! Ds is 4 months old now and things have evened out, he's happy at night now and goes to bed easily. The best part is that I don't feel like I'm ignoring my 4yo now!
Just keep your chin up and keep doing what you're doing. It'll be better before you know it!
IrishIz
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:13 AM

If your son is understanding I wouldn't stress so much about it.  Can you maybe move the routine up a little earlier?  Involve the baby somehow (I know only 6 weeks but still can be involved)?  Remember...this is likely a phase that will pass.  Just waiting it out...might be all you need to do.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:21 AM

HUGS momma, sounds like maybe you need to start new routines..find something that works NOW.  Though leaving routines the same can be helpful, if its almost impossible right now then its just causing more stress.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)