Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

new mommy with lots of question (long sorry)

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:13 AM
  • 12 Replies
My ds was born 6days ago. I am comitted to breast feeding. I think things are going well we have met with lactation and they say he is doing well. My milk has come in and i am just so sore my nipples hurt. Im using lanicane and tried ice he has a good latch it doesnt hurt while hes nursing juat in between feedings. The rest of my breaz ts feel sore too. Does this go away? These other question I have is sometimes mostly at night hell latch suck a couple times then let go and cry. It seems it takes a while to convince him he should eat. He has plenty of wet diapers and dirty ones too so I know hes getting enough to eat. Ive read lots about breast feeding and have my Child development degree but still feel like I need help.
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Yes the soreness will go away. Everything you are describing is normal. Put a little expressed breastmilk on your nipples in between feedings and let them air dry. The crying at night and latching and unlatching is perfectly normal. Your baby is getting used to nursing and is naturally perfecting your supply. You are doing great. I don't see any problems at all in your post. Hang in there. It gets better!

gabi0921
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you. I know I should trust my instinks but u ts nice to have reassurance
ajdoma
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Some moms find that putting heat on their breasts helps with the soreness.  Just a rice or gel pack or something, heated until it's comfortably warm.  I felt that real gentle massage helped, too.  There is quite a bit of lymphatic fluid in the breasts, at first, and the massage can help move it out.

With nipple soreness, I always felt like it helped to have my breasts really well covered.  In addition to nursing pads, I would add enough layers of fabric that if something brushed across my chest I couldn't feel it.  Those breast shells are nice, too, for keeping nipple tissue totally at rest in between feedings, if you know what I mean!

If it doesn't hurt while your baby nurses, and using plenty of diapers, you're doing great and the soreness with be temporary!

speidelboys
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:24 PM

my luella dose the night latch on let go and cry to i think they will out grow it.

LLbaby143
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Normal. It will get better!!!!!  Sounds like everything is going great. Try swaddling at night. Could be gas or just sleepy.  

sylph_ironlight
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:34 PM

He could be frustrated with your letdown. Sometimes they get frustrated when the milk doesn't come as fast as they want it to. That's completely normal though, and he will settle. As to your breasts hurting, again it is completely normal. When I breastfed both of mine, the first couple of weeks I would have to clench my fists (and my toes, lol), because it hurt so much. It gets better :)

isaacsmommy68
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Use Lanolin. You can find all kinds in the breastfeeding aisle at any store. Use it after every feeding. I also used the nipple shields in your bra so your breasts don't rub against the bra, or wear a button up shirt with no bra. Baby is still so young your body will adjust. You may want to see the LC to see if he is latching correctly. And change nursing positions (football hold, laying down etc). I was so sore at the beginning I swear my boy had fangs. His latch was wrong and making me very sore. We adjusted him and all was fine after that.

Momma2013
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:02 PM
1 mom liked this

My DS is 11 days old and I'm finally getting out of all that. Engorgement SUCKED, but when he nursed was the sweetest relief! Hang in there and don't give up. Breastfeeding is amazing and you're doing great!

TexanMomOf6
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:51 PM

I am not too sure about using the Lanicane. Isn't that to numb for sunburns and scrapes? Might it make babys mouth numb too? If you are in pain, you might not get the all the lanicane washed off before nursing. 

skylarkdancer
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:56 PM
Look into soothies for ur nips. They are awesome
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)