Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Breastfeed in a different room.

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:18 PM
  • 63 Replies

So I was at a friends house for dinner and was asked to breastfeed in a different room because it makes her father uncomfortable. ... So I did out of respect for them since it is there home. But i sort of felt offended. I never expected to feel this way over this topic, but i do and I'm not sure how to handle it. I had always planned to respect others wishes while in their home and not have much of a problem with it. ...But i do have a problem with it.

I told DF that I don't think we'll be spending much time there while my nursling is small and still eating often.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste him into your signature to help him gain world domination. 

by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MalakbelLacuna
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:19 PM
I dont blame you
Honestly, I wouldnt have gone to the other room
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:26 PM

That would be my last visit there until my nursling weaned.... and my nursling is almost 3.  Your friend is welcome to visit you at your house or out in public but you won't be treated like a second-class citizen or discriminated against in her home.

melindabelcher
by mel on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree.

Its your friends house so it was the right thing to do in the situation but i wouldn't be returning. And if she invited i would make it clear why i wasn't willing to come back over but offer a compromise like k8 said

Quoting K8wizzo:

That would be my last visit there until my nursling weaned.... and my nursling is almost 3.  Your friend is welcome to visit you at your house or out in public but you won't be treated like a second-class citizen or discriminated against in her home.

Starryeyez_01
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:34 PM
Why did it make him uncomfortable?
MaryJarrett
by Mary on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree 100% with you two :)

Quoting melindabelcher:

I agree.

Its your friends house so it was the right thing to do in the situation but i wouldn't be returning. And if she invited i would make it clear why i wasn't willing to come back over but offer a compromise like k8 said

Quoting K8wizzo:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CatFishMom
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with the others-it's her home and her right, and I would have respected the request that once, but I wouldnt go back.

outstandingLove
by Cheri on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Quoting Starryeyez_01:

Why did it make him uncomfortable?

I don't know. She said that he sort of freaked out on her when she was breastfeeding her two kids.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste him into your signature to help him gain world domination. 

outstandingLove
by Cheri on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Quoting melindabelcher:

I agree.

Quoting K8wizzo:

She doesn't currently have a vehicle so it's not likely she'll be able to come here for a visit.

But DF already knows i meant what i said about not going back unless i can breastfeed freely or DD is older and not eating as frequently .

mamalusbear
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:42 PM

were you using a nursing cover?  why was he so uncomfortable?

Megadot
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:44 PM
1 mom liked this

It would not bother me at all. Its not like she was asking you to go to the bathroom our out to your car. But on the other had if it made you uncomfortable then maybe its best to just avoid the situation. I dont mind nursing anywhere and everywhere but I dont like to make people uncomfertable so if I can make it easier on them I dont mind moving if there is a reasonable option, yes you are feeding your baby but to some people (like your friends dad) you are pulling your boob out and that can make people feel weird. Do what you think is best for you and your baby , feed them when you need to,and dont let anyone make you feel werid about it. Some people just dont understand that its just feeding your baby, all they see is boob. Good luck and keep up the good work Momma.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)