Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Breastfeeding after bein put under

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:16 PM
  • 15 Replies
I am having my wisdom teeth extracted in a couple weeks and I am currently breastfeeding my 6 week old son. I was told that after the procedure I will have to pump and dump for 24 hours after being out under. I'm just nervous because my son doesn't love taking a bottle and I don't want him to not go back to breast after the 24 hours... Ugh.

Anyway my question is about how much milk should I have prepared for a 24 hour period?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shortyali
by Alicia on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:22 PM
Maybe 3ozs for while you are there and under. Once you can safely hold your baby you are safe to nurse. I was under for my DS1's delivery and nursed him right away once I woke up.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
heatherd09
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:24 PM
Oh really? The lady on the phone told me I would have to pump and discard my milk for 25 hours. That makes me way less stressed if I don't have to.

Quoting shortyali:

Maybe 3ozs for while you are there and under. Once you can safely hold your baby you are safe to nurse. I was under for my DS1's delivery and nursed him right away once I woke up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2BRBgirlz
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:28 PM

I was put under when I had my tubes tied.  I asked four different people at the hospital how long I should wait to breastfeed and I got four differnet answers.  everywhere from 2 hours to 24 hours........ I ended up BFing at about six hours, following the advice of my LC, all was well.   I only pumped about 6 oz.  My LO is 7 weeks old....

mckinneymom918
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:29 PM
While I agree that you can nurse as soon as you can safely hold the baby... However, When I had my wisdom teeth removed in college, my surgery was at like 8 or 9am, and I was easily out of it until that evening. Mine were impacted, the took them as a precaution so not to mess up the work the braces did.

Quoting heatherd09:

Oh really? The lady on the phone told me I would have to pump and discard my milk for 25 hours. That makes me way less stressed if I don't have to.

Quoting shortyali:

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:30 PM

General anesthesia metabolizes very quickly, or you wouldn't wake up. Yep, once you have full use of your limbs, you'll be good to nurse. Babies themselves safely receive anesthesia for surgeries, right? 

Dentists are perhaps the most notorious for giving bad advice to breastfeeding moms. I can tell you that first hand, as I weaned my oldest son ahead of my plan because an oral surgeon told me I couldn't nurse on Vicodin, which is WRONG. I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed with nitrous oxide and novocaine (3 were pulled and one was surgically removed from my jawbone) but I was awake the whole time. They just keep repeating the same old wive's tale over and over, year after year, without ever researching actual recommendations about this. And I swear breastfeeding isn't common enough for them to be challenged to research it. When my one dd had an eye surgery at 12 months and I asked about her nursing before surgery, no one knew what to tell me because they hadn't had any babies "that old" who were still breastfeeding.

shortyali
by Alicia on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:30 PM
1 mom liked this
They go by the cover their own a$$ approach. Once you are awake and able to hold baby you no longer have the meds in your system, if you did you'd still be out cold.

I had a ct scan and was told 3 different time frames for it and all were wrong.

Quoting heatherd09:

Quoting shortyali:

K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Dental Work and Breastfeeding

JULY 29, 2011. Posted in: ILLNESS, SURGERY & MEDICAL PROCEDURES,MOM'S HEALTH

(x-rays, local anesthesia, sedation and more)

By Kelly Bonyata, IBCLC

Both x-rays and novocaine (and other drugs used for local anesthesia, such as bupivacaine andlidocaine) are considered to be compatible with breastfeeding.

Most medications used for oral and IV sedation are considered compatible with breastfeeding.

Nitrous oxide (laughing gas) sedation is also considered to be compatible with breastfeeding. It is virtually insoluble in the bloodstream, which means it goes from your brain to your lungs to the room air immediately after you stop breathing it in. Per Hale, “it is rapidly eliminated from the body due to rapid exchange with nitrogen via the pulmonary alveoli (within minutes). A rapid recovery generally occurs within 3-5 minutes… Ingestion of nitrous oxide orally via milk is unlikely.” See Conscious Sedation for more information.

A mother who has wisdom tooth surgery should not need to interrupt breastfeeding at all (except during the surgery, of course). To minimize baby’s exposure (and increase mom’s comfort), mom can nurse just before she goes in for the procedure. There is no need to wait on breastfeeding afterwards or to pump and dump — mom can nurse as soon as she feels alert enough to hold baby. See Breastfeeding when mom has surgery for more information on breastfeeding and general anesthesia.

There are many pain medications compatible with breastfeeding. See Pain medications and breastfeeding for more information.

Additional information

@ other websites

Research

Giuliani M, Grossi GB, Pileri M, Lajolo C, Casparrini G. Could local anesthesia while breast-feeding be harmful to infants? J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2001 Feb;32(2):142-4. Conclusion: “This study suggests that even if a nursing mother undergoes dental treatment with local anesthesia using lidocaine without adrenaline, she can safely continue breastfeeding.”

Ortega D, Viviand X, Lorec AM, Gamerre M, Martin C, Bruguerolle B. Excretion of lidocaine and bupivacaine in breast milk following epidural anesthesia for cesarean delivery. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 1999 Apr;43(4):394-7. Conclusion: “This study documents the magnitude of excreted lidocaine, bupivacaine and PPX in breast milk, and indicates that the use of both lidocaine and bupivacaine for epidural anaesthesia is safe with regard to breast-feeding.”

Lebedevs TH, Wojnar-Horton RE, Yapp P, Roberts MJ, Dusci LJ, Hackett LP, Ilett K. Excretion of lignocaine and its metabolite monoethylglycinexylidide in breast milk following its use in a dental procedure. A case reportJ Clin Periodontol 1993 Sep;20(8):606-8. “Nursing mothers receiving lignocaine for standard dental procedures can be advised that continuation

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:35 PM

See above!!! I was just about to post that myself.  Here's another one, that I think links to the one above:

Compiled by Kelly Bonyata, IBCLC

General anesthesia should not affect breastfeeding. You can safely nurse once you are awake and alert enough to hold your baby. By that time, the amount of medication in your bloodstream is low enough that the amounts in your milk would not be significant. The point at which you wake up after general anesthesia is the point where enough of the drug has left your system that it no longer has an effect. In addition, pediatric surgeries require anesthesia – and that is a more serious exposure than through mom’s milk. Mom might want to nurse just before the procedure in case she’s out for a while or too groggy to function normally for a bit. See the articles and references below for more detailed information.

Articles

IrishIz
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:36 PM

You do not have to pump and dump.  The chances of them using unsafe meds...none.  That woman on the phone was probably a receptionist.

1stpreggers
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:58 PM
I was put under for an emergency csection I nursed when I woke up about 2-3 hours later.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN