Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Homemade carrier

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:58 PM
  • 19 Replies
Okay ladies I recently made my own baby wrap. It's a ring sling (I can baby wear pretty easily) but my question is how old or poundage can it be used till ds out grows it? It's been a few months since we did it because I can't nurse him in it :( which is what I really wanted to be able to do :/
Ds is 24 lbs and 29 inches tall at 10 months
Thanks!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:08 PM
I think the differences lie in the type of fabric and the gauge of the rings. But for a point of reference I know Maya Wrap slings are promoted for use to 35 lbs yet weight tested to 100 lbs. so my husband could sling me. ;-)

What kind of material did you use? Where did you get the rings?
GoldenLinds
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:13 PM
My homemade sling is double thickness cotton like quilting fabric. I am still using my son in it and he's over 25 lbs and there is no sign of wearing yet.
IansMommy2012
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:16 AM
Something from Walmart. Kinda stiff. And y rings are bracket size or bigger. I got them out of an old ring belt lol

Quoting mostlymaydays:

I think the differences lie in the type of fabric and the gauge of the rings. But for a point of reference I know Maya Wrap slings are promoted for use to 35 lbs yet weight tested to 100 lbs. so my husband could sling me. ;-)

IansMommy2012
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:17 AM
Ill have to try it then. I haven't had him in it cause I figured once we hit over 15-20lbs he woul be to big. But I'll try it today at the mall and see!!!

Quoting GoldenLinds:

My homemade sling is double thickness cotton like quilting fabric. I am still using my son in it and he's over 25 lbs and there is no sign of wearing yet.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:38 AM
Be careful about too much weight on those rings. They probably weren't made to bear weight. Most sling ring suppliers get them from horse tackle shops and they are meant to withstand hundreds of pounds of pulling without bending or breaking. Inspect them regularly to make sure they are holding up. About 10 years ago Maya Wrap issued a recall because they were using a thinner gauge ring than they use now and when angled just the right way, one ring could slip through the other and the sling failed and the baby would fall.

Quoting IansMommy2012:

Something from Walmart. Kinda stiff. And y rings are bracket size or bigger. I got them out of an old ring belt lol

Quoting mostlymaydays:

IansMommy2012
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:40 AM
That's what I checked before using them and I even had my mom bear down the wrap with her weight and it just killed my shoulder but help up. So we might try it but I always hold him too lol because I had a tie wrap and it slipped loose and I bout dropped him once :/

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Be careful about too much weight on those rings. They probably weren't made to bear weight. Most sling ring suppliers get them from horse tackle shops and they are meant to withstand hundreds of pounds of pulling without bending or breaking. Inspect them regularly to make sure they are holding up. About 10 years ago Maya Wrap issued a recall because they were using a thinner gauge ring than they use now and when angled just the right way, one ring could slip through the other and the sling failed and the baby would fall.

Quoting IansMommy2012:

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Mrsfarr
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:45 AM
1 mom liked this
I would demand rides...
"You there; man folk! I wish to be carried around." and then enjoy being cuddled up next to my husband while he does computer things..

Quoting mostlymaydays:

catholicmamamia
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:18 AM

It definitely depends on the fabric and rings. 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:20 AM
1 mom liked this
Someone in the group once posted a picture of herself in a sling on her husband's back. :-)

Quoting Mrsfarr:

I would demand rides...

"You there; man folk! I wish to be carried around." and then enjoy being cuddled up next to my husband while he does computer things..

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Mrsfarr
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:39 AM
1 mom liked this
Eehehehehe! I automatically love this woman.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Someone in the group once posted a picture of herself in a sling on her husband's back. :-)

Quoting Mrsfarr:

I would demand rides...

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN