Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

The scariest word an EBF mother can hear........ SUPPLEMENT?????? AAAGGGHHH!!!

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:42 PM
  • 49 Replies
So at pedi today for his 8 week check, she made the comment about him being too small. Which she had said before, but he was growing at an awesome rate. He's right below their "normal" desired range, but he follows that curve exactly. She asked how much he was taking at a feeding and I told her his nursing schedule and how many bottles he gets. Well she flipped out. She thought we were still doing both.

Long story short--- we had some complications and he really did need the extra those first few days in top of nursing. But it only lasted a week and he was, is, and will remain dammit, to be EBF.

She said all the classic things. You're starving him, he needs the formula for supplementation, basically, you're a bad mother so get him off the breast and go spend a fortune I don't have to get formula.

Who's had little babies? What did you do or say? She had always seemed very pro bfing. I don't know if I should latch him more or pump like a madwoman so we can exactly keep track.

He's almost 8 weeks and weighs 7lbs 12oz and is 21in long, with a head circumference of 38. He was born at 5lbs 13oz and 18in long.

How much should he be eating do you think? The doc says he should have 4oz every 2 - 2 1/2 hrs. I had been giving him 3oz in the bottle 2-3 times a day and he still nurses on demand. But we can't force him. If we try w a bottle he'll gag himself til he throws up. :-(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IrishIz
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:44 PM
Pleas list all weights since birth and age including discharge weight and lowest weight.
Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:45 PM
3 moms liked this
Fire the doc. 4-7 ounces of gain a week is typical. You HAVE that. You are good, mama!
GoldenLinds
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:47 PM
1 mom liked this
He sounds like he's gaining just fine. If you nurse o n demand you cannot be accused of starving the child. Doctors are so pissy about nursing because theyc can't measure it. Its such bs. If baby stops gaining or suddenly slips way below the normal range then reconsider bit for j ow if he's happy and healthy then keep EBF.
Mrsfarr
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Just keep giving him the breast. Only rare doctors realize that a baby is healthy as long as its following the curve. Even if baby isn't exactly on the curve.
Your son will eventually hit a growth spurt and catch up.
Mommynwife26
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:48 PM
My dd was small, 12lbs at 6mths even though sje was 9lbs at birth. I supplemented amd she stopped nursing at 8mths and she didn't gain till she started solids! She is still small 22lbs at 2 1/2.
SweetOrangeMama
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:51 PM
1 mom liked this
My son has been way below the chart since he was a few weeks old & his doc said as long as he follows his own curve he is fine. He was 8 pounds 10 ounces at birth and now he is 2 years 4 months & weighs 23 pounds even. he is healthy & still breastfeeds.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Ditch the bottles and take him to bed for a 48 hour nursing holiday. Diaper count is the most accurate indicator of what he's getting. Should be 6-8 in 24 hours. Extra wet or poopy counts as two. Keep us updated!

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:53 PM
Get a new doctor! Your baby sounds great!!!
Ginnygurl97
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:54 PM
Birth 5-13
When we came home 5-4
First check @ 1 week 5-4
Two week check 5-6
Four week check 6-14 (seems like a huge jump
I had him weighed at 6 weeks 7-5

Quoting IrishIz:

Pleas list all weights since birth and age including discharge weight and lowest weight.

MDWife12
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:54 PM
My daughter was small and at 5 yrs old shes still tiny, she only weighs about 35 lbs when she has to crap lol. She was 7 lbs 8 oz at birth but since then shes always just been tiny, she was actually losing weight bc she has celiac but thats a different subject
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN