Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Teething or overproducing?

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 4:49 AM
  • 8 Replies

I've always had a problem with overproducing milk, but it seems like dd has gotten used to it and actually prefers it. Well lately, she's been gnawing at her fingers and hands, toys, and God-forbid she grab onto anyone else's finger. She's close to 5 months now. Sometimes the only way to soothe her is to give her a couple of teething tablets, but I'm not big on giving my children medicine. I've tried frozen wash cloths and teethers, and they work for a little while. When I try to feed her, she cries and whines the whole time and will start gnawing on my nipple and rolling it around between her gums. Holy crap does that hurt! She used to bite when the milk flow was strong, but it was never like this. I've been finding myself a little engorged again lately, and her feedings seem to be shorter, but plenty of massive wet diapers.

I just want the biting to stop. There's actually bite marks around the tip of my nipple from her gums. I'm assuming it's teething related, but is there any other way I can soothe her without become her personal chew toy?

One more thing, is it normal for her to stick out her tongue over her bottom lip when she latches? This is something I've recently noticed. I can't remember if she's always done that or not, but it feel weird lately.

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 4:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Starshine-bela
by Leah on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:02 AM
1 mom liked this
You could try an amber teething necklace. I hear they're great, still waiting for ours to come in though so i can't speak from personal experience. It does sound like teething though, my LO does that too. Also, gripe water helps, it's all natural. That worked wonders for my first ds. And I think there are all natural teething tablets that exist also. I read other moms who suggest frozen breastmilk in a mesh bag or in a bottle nipple or with a pacifier. Other than that, keep doing what you're doing.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ChocolateJunky
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Why didn't I think of frozen breastmilk?! Friends and family have been suggesting frozen fruit or veggies in the washrag I've been giving her, but I thought it might be too early. Thanks for the idea! I've been debating the teething necklaces. I've heard some are fake and some are the real deal, so I'm not sure where exactly to get the right one.

Quoting Starshine-bela:

You could try an amber teething necklace. I hear they're great, still waiting for ours to come in though so i can't speak from personal experience. It does sound like teething though, my LO does that too. Also, gripe water helps, it's all natural. That worked wonders for my first ds. And I think there are all natural teething tablets that exist also. I read other moms who suggest frozen breastmilk in a mesh bag or in a bottle nipple or with a pacifier. Other than that, keep doing what you're doing.

Starshine-bela
by Leah on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this
Some places other moms here told me about:
Hazelmaid.com
Inspired by finn
Etsy
Amberartisans.com (ordered mine from here, they explain how to tell a fake from real. My friend also got hers from here and loved it)

Quoting ChocolateJunky:

Why didn't I think of frozen breastmilk?! Friends and family have been suggesting frozen fruit or veggies in the washrag I've been giving her, but I thought it might be too early. Thanks for the idea! I've been debating the teething necklaces. I've heard some are fake and some are the real deal, so I'm not sure where exactly to get the right one.

Quoting Starshine-bela:

ChocolateJunky
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Awesome! Thank you! I will absolutely check these out. :)

Quoting Starshine-bela:

Hazelmaid.com
Inspired by finn
Etsy
Amberartisans.com (ordered mine from here, they explain how to tell a fake from real. My friend also got hers from here and loved it)

Quoting ChocolateJunky:

Quoting Starshine-bela:

Duquesne
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this
It's hazelaid, ftr ;)

And the tongue should be used to latch on the bottom:)

Quoting ChocolateJunky:

Quoting Starshine-bela:

Hazelmaid.com

Inspired by finn

Etsy

Quoting ChocolateJunky:

Quoting Starshine-bela:

Starshine-bela
by Leah on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:02 AM
Whoops! You're right lol glad someone caught that

Quoting Duquesne:

It's hazelaid, ftr ;)

And the tongue should be used to latch on the bottom:)

Quoting ChocolateJunky:

Quoting Starshine-bela:

Hazelmaid.com

Inspired by finn

Etsy

Quoting ChocolateJunky:

Quoting Starshine-bela:

Megadot
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:17 PM
1 mom liked this

My LC said that the tounge should be over the bottom lip if its not then baby's bottom gum will rub your nipple and it will feel more like bitting, The tounge is supposed to massage your areola to get the milk out. Its okay if you dont see it as long as the latch is not painful and baby is getting milk, but its okay and even good if baby is using their tounge properly lol.

LLbaby143
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Teething! My son bit the crap out of me for months and even before he has teeth. Now he has a ton of teeth and doesn't bite.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)