Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

how do u ebf and work a ft job?

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:52 AM
  • 36 Replies
Is it even possible? How do ua sk ur work about it? Ah...i want to ebf but idk how to..with working 40 hrs a wk...and dh wont let me stay home for the first year =f
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kris_PBG
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:56 AM
I worked full time with both boys and pumped.

I used my "break" and "lunch" to pump - at least in paper...

I had my own office, so I actually answered emails during pumping session 1 and pumped during lunch for pumping session 2.
spitfire06
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:58 AM
But then u have to use a bottle and i kind of dont want to do that if i can avoid it...haha i hate pumping too..baby isnt due till june 6th

Quoting Kris_PBG:

I had my own office, so I actually answered emails during pumping session 1 and pumped during lunch for pumping session 2.
Kris_PBG
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:03 AM
Well yes - bottles are typically involved if you work ft.

My ds2 refused bottles and wound up reverse cycling, but that if not a common or an ideal situation.

If you plan on working full time and ebfing a young baby, pumping will most likely need to be involved.

Quoting spitfire06:

But then u have to use a bottle and i kind of dont want to do that if i can avoid it...haha i hate pumping too..baby isnt due till june 6th

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Y2kmomma
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:10 AM
1 mom liked this
Do you work near where ever baby would be?
I worked at a daycare when I was younger. There was a baby who was EBF, and mom would come feed baby every feeding.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shortyali
by Alicia on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:23 AM
I work 40hrs a week. In away from DS2 for about 10 hours a day, 5 days a week. Yes he gets bottles while I'm at work. I look at EBF meaning nothing but breastmilk. No matter how its delivered. He takes maybe 2 bottles that are 3ozs each. He fights DH on those 2 so some days he only gets 1 bottle. Yes it's reverse cycling and its perfectly fine. DS2 makes up for it when I'm home.
fraujones
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:26 AM
I pump at work. For the first year I punped 3x a day. My mom watched my girls and she eould bring them in in my breaks sometimes.
melindabelcher
by mel on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:41 AM

you can have the caregive use a sippy cup. They could even finger feed with a little tube taped to their finger (sns style) syringe/dropper etc. It'll be more work for the caretaker but possible if you want to avoid bottles. If you work close to where the caregiver will have to baby they could bring baby to you.

You could encourage baby to reverse cycle. Where baby will take little to nothing while away from mom and then on demand to make up the feedings.

Usually most moms plan pump first thing in the morning every morning and then aim to pump every 3 hrs while at work. Leaving 8-10oz for an hr shift broken up into bottles of 2-3oz each.

Tea4Tas
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:45 AM

I worked 50 hours weeks with 4 kids and EBF. I pumped once or twice a day (I had a hospital pump I purchased off of ebay)  I also pumped at home on occasionally.  I was one of those woman with an ample supply. I could pump 20 ounces per session.  

preacherskid
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:12 AM

I am working ft and still nursing my two year old.  I stopped pumping at eighteen months.  About a week or so before you return to work, call them and speak with your supervisor and hr about what you will need, which should be enough breaks (for an eight to nine hour day I found that three fifteen minute sessions two to two and a half hours apart worked best), a space that has an outlet, chair, and door that you can lock- that is what is federally mandated as long as they have more than fifty employees, so they should not refuse you those basics.  Start pumping once a day (morning is best) to build your freezer backup and more importantly, your pump response; usually two weeks before your return to work is a good time to start.  There are multiple feeding methods if you can find a caregiver who will work with you.  Bottle of course, sippy cup without the filter, small open cup, syringe/dropper, and spoon feeding.  EBF though means breastmilk only, the method is not important.  If you have any questions feel free to ask :)

ckroch
by Colleen on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:10 AM
I work full time, but dh works opposite shift so he would bring baby to my work to nurse as needed.

Otherwise I pump every 2-3 hours till I hit a year.
I'm 33 weeks pregnant and still nursing ds.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)