Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Very nervous! Words of Wisdom would be great!

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:03 AM
  • 24 Replies
We went to the doctor on Thursday for a growth scan and cervix check. At 33 wks, she was measuring 3wks ahead of time so we weren't sure what to expect. The tech came back in after getting her measurements and said babygirl was measuring in at 10 lbs 8 oz!! Had my cervix checked and nothing was going on there. The doc took us to his office to discuss the options.
He explained that he was concerned about shoulder dystocia, outlined all the risks of delivering vaginally and all the risks of C-Sec. We chose to go with a C-Sec because I was not willing to take a chance with her.
Now, my issue is this. I'm scared to death of having a C-Section but am really worried about breastfeeding afterwards! Some encouragment and words of wisdom and tips would be wonderful and greatly appreciated!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OBImomma
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:09 AM
I've had 3 c sections and nursed all 3 babies. 2 right after. My middle was born at 30 weeks so was in the NICU for 33 days, but I did ebf her too after she came home.
They told be my baby would be well over 10lbs but she weighed 8lbs 11oz and I was told some of that was water weight from all the fluids they gave me before my c section. They're not always right about the projected weight
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shortyali
by Alicia on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:14 AM
1 mom liked this
I personally wouldn't trust a weight done before birth. For example DS1 was supposed to be about 10lbs and he was born at 7lbs 6ozs. So those can be way off.

As far as nursing after a section it can be done. Ask for baby as soon as you feel safe to hold her. Tell everyone within hearing distance that you are going to bf so no bottles. Also 99% of meds they will give you for pain are safe. I have had Percocet and 800mg of ibuprofen for all 3 of mine. Keep an eye on her because sometimes the pain meds for you make them drowsy.

For you, to heal faster you need to walk as much as possible. Yes it will be extremely painful, and don't be a superhero (sections are major surgery and no one expects you to not take the meds, it doesn't make you any better of a person to refuse them) so take your meds. I barely sat after all of mine and I was walking normal and back to normal fast. At my 6 week, my dr said you would never have guessed I just had major surgery 6 weeks before.
Plus-size-mommy
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:30 AM
Yeah, I know that the weight is just an estimate and that they could be wrong. But, we've been through a lot with this pregnancy, she only had a 20% of survival after my thrombolytic procedure (emergency one to save my life). We just don't want to take the chance of them being right about th weight and her getting stuck. Thanks ladies. :)
skylarkdancer
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:35 AM
Please look at this before you decide doe sure....someone please make it clicky http://www.glorialemay.com/blog/?p=844
Plus-size-mommy
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:46 AM
I've seen this before. My doc was very against a c-section this entire pregnancy up until now. He admitted that the weight could be off either way but said that if the baby's weight was off in the other direction that she would indeed be over 11 lbs, which would fit the ACOG's guidelines. I actually thought that they would induce me that day because she is measuring big but he said no. He is one of the leading doctors in maternal fetal medicine at OSU. He left the decision completely up to us and was very honest about the risks of both deliveries. But thank you very much for the information. I appreciate it.:)

Quoting skylarkdancer:

Please look at this before you decide doe sure....someone please make it clicky http://www.glorialemay.com/blog/?p=844

BoxxyBabee
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:05 AM
Ultrasound estimate was right for my dd. they said 6lb 3oz, she was 6lb 1oz.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shortyali
by Alicia on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:07 AM
I wasn't trying to discourage you. I know what it's like to have to choose a section over a vaginal birth. My DD, my second child, stopped growing at 34 weeks. They wouldn't even tell me her suspected weight because they didn't want to alarm me. At my 36 week appt my dr actually sat down in the room so I knew it was bad. He laid everything out for me. He wanted me to have my vbac, almost as bad as I did. When he told me he though something was wrong and it looked like the cord was not doing its job we talked about induction. He didn't really advise it because it almost always leads to a section anyway and my fear of having to be put under again for delivery would most likely happen again. I had to be put under for DS1 because I had labored for 3 days (contractions 3-5 minutes apart lasting 1-2 minutes each non-stop) and his heart beat was dropping fast. So they rushed me in and lack of communication meant I had started to be sliced open before making sure I was numb. I wanted to avoid that again so my dr sent DH and I home to talk it over and get a second opinion if we wanted. DH and I talked and we decided to schedule the section. We were going to the dr 2 times a week so a few days later we told him our decision. I had DD at 38+3. Her cord was knotted and around her neck 2 times. If I had pushed for my vbac, she could had died. I have never regretted that choice I made.

Then when we had DS2, my dr wanted me to have a VBA2C as did I. At 39+3, we decided another section because he was sitting soo low and we could see in an us that my inseicison was stretched more than we liked. So we scheduled for 2 days later. I actually went into labor that morning and I started to bleed some (more than normal). We went in for our section and when they opened me up, my scar had started to open. My dr could see DS2's face thru my uterus and barely ran the knife along my scar. DS2 was only 7lbs 8ozs but he sat so low that it wrecked my uterus.

Don't let anyone try to make you feel bad for your decision. It's your body and baby, do what you feel you need to do.

Quoting Plus-size-mommy:

Yeah, I know that the weight is just an estimate and that they could be wrong. But, we've been through a lot with this pregnancy, she only had a 20% of survival after my thrombolytic procedure (emergency one to save my life). We just don't want to take the chance of them being right about th weight and her getting stuck. Thanks ladies. :)
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:39 AM

C-sect does not need to interfere with breastfeeding in any way. Get that baby on your chest asap, and it will be fine. Our local hospitals bring baby to mom and put baby on mom's chest as soon as she is out of the OR. You can request that! My husband brought DS to me in recovery and put him on my chest to nurse, even though I was still numb and flat on my back.

ChocolateJunky
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:49 AM

That shoulder dystocia is no fun. Babygirl broke her collar bone during deliver, which was just as rough for her. She kept measuring small and underweight, so it was a big shock to everyone when she came out nearly 9 pounds. Just keep reminding yourself that you are doing what you feel is best for your baby! 

Also, if you're worried, you can get a 2nd opinion on the weight. They're typically inaccurate. Everyone kept telling me how big my first was going to be, but he was only 7 pounds. And again, my daughter was supposedly small, and they were wrong about that as well. It's pretty much hit or miss.

Starshine-bela
by Leah on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't think there is anything I can add. I wish you the best of luck. Remember you're doing what is best for baby and that is all that matters. Hope you have a smooth delivery and a healthy baby
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)