Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Very nervous! Words of Wisdom would be great!

We went to the doctor on Thursday for a growth scan and cervix check. At 33 wks, she was measuring 3wks ahead of time so we weren't sure what to expect. The tech came back in after getting her measurements and said babygirl was measuring in at 10 lbs 8 oz!! Had my cervix checked and nothing was going on there. The doc took us to his office to discuss the options.
He explained that he was concerned about shoulder dystocia, outlined all the risks of delivering vaginally and all the risks of C-Sec. We chose to go with a C-Sec because I was not willing to take a chance with her.
Now, my issue is this. I'm scared to death of having a C-Section but am really worried about breastfeeding afterwards! Some encouragment and words of wisdom and tips would be wonderful and greatly appreciated!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:03 AM
Replies (11-20):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:48 PM
1 mom liked this
I had c-sections with both of mine. Easier the second time, epidural rather than general anesthesia. Breastfed 8 hours after birth the first time. DD nursed within 40 minutes of her birth. Both did just fine, nursed till they self weaned. You can do this!
iluvteeth77
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:54 PM
1 mom liked this
I had to have an emergency csection with my second son (4 1/2 months old) and nursing was fine. Yes I was in pain and it was hard to get up a lot at first but it didn't take long. Good luck momma!!
Mrsfarr
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Maybe get a second opinion on your ultrasound. If you don't want to, write up a birth plan and share it with your doctor and the nurses in L&D when you go in for your section that outlines your desire to breast feed. Most people will do all they can to help you get what you want. Good luck, Hun.
Marti123
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:23 PM
1 mom liked this
I was super freaked out about breastfeeding when my DS2 was taken urgently c-section almost a months before due date.

Try to get baby to breast as soon as you can in recovery. If baby won't latch, manually express colostrum if able, and syringe it. (I was very upset as the nurse coerced me into giving formula, while I was still very groggy by giving me the "low" blood sugar story) won't be happening next time, lol, now I know.

My DS was latching with help by the next trial of feeding and my milk came in with the great gusto of oversupply in a couple of days.

It can be done!! Good luck!!
lifeforchrist
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:15 PM

shoulder dystocia does not make it unable to birth a baby. And that measurement can be way off. Late term ultrasounds are notorious for promoting unnesessary csections. My friend just birthed a 10 8er who had shoulder dystocia, you just use the Gaskin maneuver that was named after the midwife Ina May Gaskin. There is no foretelling shoulder dystocia, weight has very little to do with it.

bf can be a lot harder after a csection so you need to be committed. All the moms I know who had csections have not successfully breastfed their babies. ALl of them gave up. Gl.

susieQ680
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this

good luck hope and pray things work out for u

soulofsunmama
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:25 PM
1 mom liked this
My sister delivered 3, all vaginally, no medication or interventions, and all over 10lbs.
Your body is made to do this, why don't you trust that?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Plus-size-mommy
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:34 PM
Oh, I don't doubt that it's possible. However, I'm not willing to risk my child's well being. Being in the health care field, I know that there are risks of nerve damage (sometimes permanent), broken bones, and possibly even death with shoulder dystocia. The doctor did not push us into this decision and yes, I am aware of the risks of a c-section as well. We feel this is the best decision for our family. This post wasn't made to dispute my decision, that has been made, I was asking for advice on breastfeeding after a c-section.

Quoting soulofsunmama:

My sister delivered 3, all vaginally, no medication or interventions, and all over 10lbs.

soulofsunmama
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:35 PM
Ok

Quoting Plus-size-mommy:

Oh, I don't doubt that it's possible. However, I'm not willing to risk my child's well being. Being in the health care field, I know that there are risks of nerve damage (sometimes permanent), broken bones, and possibly even death with shoulder dystocia. The doctor did not push us into this decision and yes, I am aware of the risks of a c-section as well. We feel this is the best decision for our family. This post wasn't made to dispute my decision, that has been made, I was asking for advice on breastfeeding after a c-section.

Quoting soulofsunmama:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Plus-size-mommy
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:39 PM
I'm aware of the manuvers to help get the baby out but what happens after the manuvers and baby is still stuck? And yes, I know the weight is just an estimate and could be wrong. That's where the "what if" game comes into play. They might be wrong, but what if they aren't? She might not get stuck, but what if she does? I was asking for bf'ing advice following a c-section.

Quoting lifeforchrist:

shoulder dystocia does not make it unable to birth a baby. And that measurement can be way off. Late term ultrasounds are notorious for promoting unnesessary csections. My friend just birthed a 10 8er who had shoulder dystocia, you just use the Gaskin maneuver that was named after the midwife Ina May Gaskin. There is no foretelling shoulder dystocia, weight has very little to do with it.

bf can be a lot harder after a csection so you need to be committed. All the moms I know who had csections have not successfully breastfed their babies. ALl of them gave up. Gl.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN