Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Very nervous! Words of Wisdom would be great!

We went to the doctor on Thursday for a growth scan and cervix check. At 33 wks, she was measuring 3wks ahead of time so we weren't sure what to expect. The tech came back in after getting her measurements and said babygirl was measuring in at 10 lbs 8 oz!! Had my cervix checked and nothing was going on there. The doc took us to his office to discuss the options.
He explained that he was concerned about shoulder dystocia, outlined all the risks of delivering vaginally and all the risks of C-Sec. We chose to go with a C-Sec because I was not willing to take a chance with her.
Now, my issue is this. I'm scared to death of having a C-Section but am really worried about breastfeeding afterwards! Some encouragment and words of wisdom and tips would be wonderful and greatly appreciated!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:03 AM
Replies (21-24):
shortyali
by Alicia on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Now you know one ;). I've nursed my last 2 after having sections for both. DD for 22 months and DS2 now for 3. DS1 would have been longer if I had known better.

Quoting lifeforchrist:

shoulder dystocia does not make it unable to birth a baby. And that measurement can be way off. Late term ultrasounds are notorious for promoting unnesessary csections. My friend just birthed a 10 8er who had shoulder dystocia, you just use the Gaskin maneuver that was named after the midwife Ina May Gaskin. There is no foretelling shoulder dystocia, weight has very little to do with it.

bf can be a lot harder after a csection so you need to be committed. All the moms I know who had csections have not successfully breastfed their babies. ALl of them gave up. Gl.

MamaDee83
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Get a breast pump in your room asap, too! Nurse the baby and pump! I would ask your doctor about the contractions that take place when your baby nurses/pumps - they can be a little uncomfortable with just a vaginal delivery, but idk how much more uncomfortable (if at all) they might be after a c-section.

mamabens
by Miranda on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Just because baby is big doesn't automatically mean a section. My son was 10 lbs 5 oz and born with no problems at home! 

shortyali
by Alicia on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:14 PM
They are the same. At my hospital they give you a shot of pitocen as soon as you get to recovery so they can get them started while you are still numb from the spinal.

Quoting MamaDee83:

Get a breast pump in your room asap, too! Nurse the baby and pump! I would ask your doctor about the contractions that take place when your baby nurses/pumps - they can be a little uncomfortable with just a vaginal delivery, but idk how much more uncomfortable (if at all) they might be after a c-section.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)