Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Pumping

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:07 PM
  • 6 Replies

So, I'm a mother of three I breasfed my two boys and never had a pump or a problem. I have a 3 1/2 month old girl that I'm also breasfeeding, and at my last WIC appt they sent me home with a manual pump. Figured I'd give it a go, and I hate it. I'm not sure if I'm doing it wrong or if that's just the way it is, lol.

It hurts, my nipples turn purple, and I think pumping 4oz a day-ish has trippled my milk supply so my boobs are nearly always feeling like they're ready to explode. If I feed the baby too soon after pumping my nipples hurt soooo bad. I'm also for the first time ever getting cracks and extreme dryness on my nipples. Never had a problem with either before the pump.

Is that all normal? I'm a little spoilled being a full time SAHM and never really needing to pump before, so it could just be that I'm a giant baby lol. I just thought it would be easier to start cereal and what not without having to milk myself by hand..

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
GoldenLinds
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Pumping is not fun. I never liked it. On top of that manual pumps tend to be super rough on the nippes. If it were me I would put the thing in the coset lol. If you dont need to pump t boost supply or provide for baby when you are gone then why go through all that. IF you do want to continue pumping i know there are some ladies here with tons of tips but mostly I would say find a different pump.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Also, cereal is not a good idea. The AAP does not recommend it any longer. Look at the article on kellymom.com on baby-led solids. It will give you all the information you need on when, how and what to do about solids.
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:15 PM
1 mom liked this

If you have no reason to pump, then don't! 

You don't need any pumped milk to start baby on solids, cereal is no longer recommended:

https://breastfeedingusa.org/content/article/good-foods-babies

“Why do so many babies start with cereal?”

Cereal may be traditional, but it is not necessarily one of the best first foods. Iron-fortified rice cereal has been suggested as a first food in the past because of the belief that it was “hypoallergenic” and was a good source of iron. A review of research by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) finds those reasons to be invalid. 1 Newer thinking suggests beginning with foods that are naturally nutrient-rich. For example, meat is naturally rich in iron and zinc. In any case, breastfed babies usually get all the iron they need from their mother's milk up until at least six months of age. 2 If your doctor is concerned about iron levels, a simple blood test can be done right in the office.

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:21 PM
1 mom liked this

If you don't need to pump, then don't.   I'm also a SAHM and only ever pump for a few days before I will be needing to leave baby (and now at nearly 8 months I really don't anymore... she won't drink it anyway!).

I use manual pumps and what you describe is not normal.    Sounds like maybe you have the wrong horn size?  

In any case... no need to pump, no need for cereal... fork mashed banana or baked sweet potato are perfectly good first foods for a 6+ month old

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Put the pump away. Nothing was broken before. And cereal really isn't needed. At six months, chop up a banana and put it in front of her. Yep, really! No purees, no spoon feeding. Self feeding. If baby's not ready to handle that then baby's not ready for solids.

zasemom
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:57 AM
Wrong size was my first thought....check Target, WM for a different size if you need to pump.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

If you don't need to pump, then don't.   I'm also a SAHM and only ever pump for a few days before I will be needing to leave baby (and now at nearly 8 months I really don't anymore... she won't drink it anyway!).

I use manual pumps and what you describe is not normal.    Sounds like maybe you have the wrong horn size?  

In any case... no need to pump, no need for cereal... fork mashed banana or baked sweet potato are perfectly good first foods for a 6+ month old

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)