Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

No poo

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:44 PM
  • 7 Replies
I had my second baby on Valentine's Day. It has been a heck of a time getting her to latch, it's getting better now though and she has nursed well today. We left the hospital this morning, but the issue is she hasn't had any poo since 11pm last night. She has had a couple barely wet diapers today but no poop at all. She had a little jaundice and since tomorrow is Sunday she doesn't see her ped til Monday so I'm not sure what to do or if it's ok that she hasn't pood. Any advice appreciated!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:54 PM
Nurse,nurse,and nurse again. Sit in a sunny window with her stripped down to her diaper. She is probably sleepy so she will need to be awakened to feed every two hours around the clock. When she falls off or falls asleep on the breast, burp and change sides. You may need to do this several times per feeding. She definitely needs to pass the meconium. She should make one diaper for each day of life until she's doing 6-8 in 24 hours by the time she reaches one week of age.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

luvmylilbean
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:09 PM
For one diaper per age does it have to be poo? She has had 3 wet diapers since 8am (it's 10pm) not very wet but a little. She is super sleepy but I've been getting her to nurse one side at a time for 5-15 mins. I just am afraid her bilirubin levels will go way up :/

Quoting MusherMaggie:

Nurse,nurse,and nurse again. Sit in a sunny window with her stripped down to her diaper. She is probably sleepy so she will need to be awakened to feed every two hours around the clock. When she falls off or falls asleep on the breast, burp and change sides. You may need to do this several times per feeding. She definitely needs to pass the meconium. She should make one diaper for each day of life until she's doing 6-8 in 24 hours by the time she reaches one week of age.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:21 PM

The best indicator of a newborn getting enough milk is poop. Baby really "should" pass the meconium by day 3, and then be pooping at least 4 poops every day, poop should be at least the size o a quarter.

Spend as much time together skin to skin, with baby on your bare chest. When baby starts to slow down at the breast use some breast compressions (squeeze the breast) to get the milk flowing and encourage baby to suck/swallow more.

Quoting luvmylilbean:

For one diaper per age does it have to be poo? She has had 3 wet diapers since 8am (it's 10pm) not very wet but a little. She is super sleepy but I've been getting her to nurse one side at a time for 5-15 mins. I just am afraid her bilirubin levels will go way up :/

Quoting MusherMaggie:

luvmylilbean
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:23 PM
She had several poopy diapers the day she was born (Thursday) and several yesterday, all merconium poop. But no more since last night at 11

Quoting maggiemom2000:

The best indicator of a newborn getting enough milk is poop. Baby really "should" pass the meconium by day 3, and then be pooping at least 4 poops every day, poop should be at least the size o a quarter.

Spend as much time together skin to skin, with baby on your bare chest. When baby starts to slow down at the breast use some breast compressions (squeeze the breast) to get the milk flowing and encourage baby to suck/swallow more.

Quoting luvmylilbean:

Quoting MusherMaggie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:26 PM

How many times has she nursed today?

Is your milk in yet?

If you do not start seeing some transitional poop in the next 12 hrs you may want to start hand expressing and givng her some by syringe, cup, or spoon. Here's a video:

http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/HandExpression.html

Quoting luvmylilbean:

She had several poopy diapers the day she was born (Thursday) and several yesterday, all merconium poop. But no more since last night at 11

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Quoting luvmylilbean:

Quoting MusherMaggie:

MamaScho88
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Keep nursing...she should be having atleast 8-12 wet diapers a day...you will know that she is getting enough to eat if she poops...try to aim for 15 minutes per breast per feeding snd try nursing on both breasts at each feeding so should be about 30 mins total...wake her often if she is sleeping through her feedings too, every 2-3 hours...any longer than that could hurt your milk supply and you want to nurse as much as possible right now to establish a plentiful milk supply

luvmylilbean
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:54 AM
Well since I posted she has had 1 really good poopy diaper and 2 pees. Nursing a lot tonight too, this is the most awake she's been.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)