Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Breastfeeding Question

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:13 PM
  • 6 Replies

Ok so my daughter is 3 weeks old and is not wanting to nurse much anymore. She has been a liitle sick with a cold for a few days and just would not nurse most the time. She seems to want a bottle more except at nights and morning. Its not that I mind giving some formula but I do not want my milk to dry up if she is only nursing at night through morning. Do you think I will continue to produce milk or will it dry up?

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:16 PM

If you continue to give a bottle of formula, she may come to reject you completely, or you may just end up giving so much formula that she doesn't nurse anymore.

Why are you giving her a bottle?   Remember that every oz of formula you give is one less that you will make, and she's still very prone to nipple preference (which is what you are seeing, actually).  

I would drop the bottles, pronto, and just nurse.

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:17 PM

If you continue to give bottles your milk suuply will continue to decrease until you are exclusivley bottle feeding. Baby will likely start refusing the breast more and more.

The best thing to do is to drop all bottles (unless you and baby are separated, of course). If you are there, then nurse!

Hide the bottles and get in bed with baby for the next 24-48 hours.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Drop the bottles or you will indeed dry up. Drop some breastmilk in her nose, suction it out, sit in a steamy bathroom with her. A bottle is much easier to get milk from, and she has developed a preference for the bottle. It is very easy to overfeed with a bottle which also means she will nurse less--formula is harder to digest and takes much longer. Take her to bed with you for a 48 hour nursing holiday. Put her to breast every time she moves. Diaper count indicates how much she is getting. She should go through 6-8 every 24 hours.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:39 AM

She's not wanting to nurse because you're giving the bottles. It's a nasty vicious circle that CAN be broken... but you've gotta break the bottles. Or at least bury them away. 

KylersMom8-16-7
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:58 AM
Unfortunately giving bottles is the problem. Drop ALL bottles and nurse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomOfTwo0713
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you all. When she was born, I didn't produce enough so the doctors had me supplement, and then when she started getting sick and didn't want to eat, I was worried she wasn't eating enough. Today though, I will stop bottles. I like nursing her much more than bottle feeding. Thats our special time that only I get. NO more bottles. Thanks again!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)