Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

food after 12 months

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:12 PM
  • 5 Replies
How important is food after 12 months? My DD is 15 months and doesn't eat much food. When she was 6 months and ate everything and anything she could get her hands on. Now she eats very little. She refuses most meals. She still nurses like a new born. At her 15 month checkup the Dr was concerned because she he's regressed so much. She has also quit talking. She used to try to copy us and now she only says Dada and cocoa( our dogs name). She used to only call dogs cocoa and now everything is cocoa.

The Dr is really concerned about this. She has referred us to and ENT and occupational therapy. The ENT to make sure everything is working right. My son didn't talk till he was 2 1/2 and it was because he couldn't hear due to all the guide in his ears that no drs knew was there. The therapy to help her with eating.

Is it really important for her to be eating 3 meals a day plus 2 snacks?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
jjchick75
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:49 PM

My son is 13 months and has never had any interest in solids. You give her the solids, it's her job to eat them! My kids are usually closer to 2 before they start really having any interest in solids. I wouldn't worry!

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Hmm. One of my cousins called EVERYTHING "Charley" when she was a toddler. Charley was their dog. 

The food doesn't worry me so much as the not talking. I'd take the referrals. No, it's not that vital she does three a day plus snacks. But the problems you cite are also NOT related to her eating.

KylersMom8-16-7
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:56 AM
My son is 17 months and nurses 12 times a day and only wants food sometimes. I offer every time I eat though and he eats as much as he wants. Offering is what matters:-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:13 AM
Quoting gdiamante:

Hmm. One of my cousins called EVERYTHING "Charley" when she was a toddler. Charley was their dog. 

The food doesn't worry me so much as the not talking. I'd take the referrals. No, it's not that vital she does three a day plus snacks. But the problems you cite are also NOT related to her eating.

This. I would get speech and hearing evaluation/therapy, perhaps neurological as well. She may also have sensory issues developing. I would definitely keep nursing on demand. That is how to ensure she's getting the nutrients she needs as your milk is constantly adapting to her needs.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

eema.gray
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Regression is a problem.  The feeding thing is not necessarily a problem at this age; toddlers seem to fuel themselves on air and infrequent chicken nuggets, LOL.  But regression IS a big issue.

I would insist on very thorough physical evaluations and blood work as well.  She needs her ears (ENT, good) and eyes evaluated by an expert.  She should see a pediatric neurologist and be evaluated for processing disorders.  She should have blood work to include a complete thyroid panal, all types of iron deficiencies (there are several, some more severe than others), A1C to check history of blood sugar control, and vitamin/mineral deficiencies, some of which can cause significant neurological misfunction.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)