Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pacifiers?

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:54 PM
  • 13 Replies

Do you use them? I've been hearing a lot lately about how they make it harder to nurse. I'm breastfeeding my third baby and have always used them and love them. I also hear about dental problems? But I never used them after 6 - 8 months and I'm not sure when that's supposed to start being an issue.

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:59 PM

my 1st and 3rd children used them very limitedly for about 3 months or so... I think after the latch is well established that they can sometimes be useful in the newborn stage for stuff like car rides.    I think that introducing too early, or using in place of nursing (even comfort nursing) can cause a nursing relationship to be shorter or more difficult.

As for dental issues... so, the palette of infants is moldable, it's like wax.   The breast shapes to the child's mouth and helps it to form correctly.   Bottles and pacifiers don't change shape, so the shape of the palette has to form around them instead.   This is what can cause dental issues.   Limited use shouldn't cause problems, though.  

ruby_jewel_04
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:06 AM
My 1st and 2nd used them. My 3rd was a thumb sucker. This little one, my 4th, doesn't do either very often. Dental problems only become an issue if the child constantly has the pacifier, and is still using them well in to toddler/preschool age.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Zazayam
by Nicki on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Quoting ruby_jewel_04:

My 1st and 2nd used them. My 3rd was a thumb sucker. This little one, my 4th, doesn't do either very often.

Did you have a hard time breaking the thumb sucking? I've heard it's a hard habit to break and my neice is starting to heavily do it.

ruby_jewel_04
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:09 AM
We haven't broke him of it yet. He's 2 and a half now. But really only does it when he's tired.

Quoting Zazayam:

Quoting ruby_jewel_04:

My 1st and 2nd used them. My 3rd was a thumb sucker. This little one, my 4th, doesn't do either very often.

Did you have a hard time breaking the thumb sucking? I've heard it's a hard habit to break and my neice is starting to heavily do it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Zazayam
by Nicki on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Ah, ok. My neice is 3 and is just starting, she lives with me most of the time. I'm trying to discourage it but so far the only suggestions I've gotten on the matter is put that nasty tasting stuff on her thumbs, but that's not something I want to do (maybe if she's still doing it when she starts school I'll reconsider?)

Quoting ruby_jewel_04:

We haven't broke him of it yet. He's 2 and a half now. But really only does it when he's tired.

Quoting Zazayam:

Quoting ruby_jewel_04:

ACrowsNest
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:34 AM

I tried to use them with my DD but she always just spit them out... I guess she thinks there's no better pacifier than my boob lol. I'm glad she won't take one, but sometimes I wish she would so I could get a break :D

sissy852
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:40 AM
Mine wont use them. Even for a minite sp in the car on the way home
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlemonaghan
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:07 AM
I used one starting around 2 weeks lol and she stopped on her own around 7 months. When she started teething she just chewed on it so when u noticed she wasn't using them I just took them away.

Loved them, I'll nurse you to sleep, I'll pacify you for a little while but not for 3 hours lol ain't nobody got time for that

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BoxxyBabee
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:54 AM
My son stopped using them at 19mo and his teeth are messed up. His bottom teeth curve instead of being straight. My 6mo dd won't take the paci
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shortyali
by Alicia on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:11 AM
I was lucky with my DS1. At 6 months he threw the binky at me and we never looked back. DD sucks her thumb but only when she's sick or over tired. DS2 sucks on his wrist.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)