Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

need help with weaning

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:27 AM
  • 13 Replies

my dd will be 2 next month and i really wanted to make it one more month but her latch just can't be fixed. plus i'm ready to have my boobies back. how exactly do i go about weaning? a friend suggested no bite nail polish just to get her off the boob. she hasn't nursed since tuesday and i only express for comfort in the shower.

on to my next question...since she hasn't nursed she's been eating almost constantly. is this normal? here it is 11:30 at night and instead of going to bed she's up eating (watermelon of course, nothing bad). she's also been having a lil trouble getting to sleep. some days she will go without a nap.

i'm looking for help on weaning and not getting mastitis. thanks in advance.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SadieJames
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:32 AM

How many times a day is/was she nursing? Recommendation is to drop 1 feeding/week usually.  

lil_momma0911
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:39 AM

she's more of a snacker. i nursed on demand and tried to night wean but that resulted in no sleep with a screaming toddler. i really can't put a number on how much she nursed.

mamabens
by Miranda on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:55 AM
2 moms liked this

You drop one feeding per week, no faster. Please don't do the nail polish stuff that is just mean

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Quoting lil_momma0911:

my dd will be 2 next month and i really wanted to make it one more month but her latch just can't be fixed. plus i'm ready to have my boobies back.

Fair warning. You NEVER get those back. You will become a pillow.

how exactly do i go about weaning?

Distract and delay. DOn't say no, say "not now."

a friend suggested no bite nail polish just to get her off the boob.

NO! Not unless you want to damge the skin on your nipples. Don't listen to this friend.

she hasn't nursed since tuesday and i only express for comfort in the shower.

Setting you up for potential mastitis...

on to my next question...since she hasn't nursed she's been eating almost constantly. is this normal?

Yes. She's making up for what she's not getting at the breast.

here it is 11:30 at night and instead of going to bed she's up eating (watermelon of course, nothing bad). she's also been having a lil trouble getting to sleep. some days she will go without a nap.

i'm looking for help on weaning and not getting mastitis. thanks in advance.

Normally... allow nursing and do not drop faster than one feeding a week. You can time. She's allowed to nurse every three hours this week. Every four hours the next. Every six hours the week after that. And so on. Stretch the interval.

Did you ever try nursing manners to stop the biting?

lil_momma0911
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:23 AM

yes i've tried nursing manners. its just that since she's a snacker and nurses on demand i dont have a number to decrease from. i'm at my wits end and i don't need to be told i'm a bad mom for doing this. i've tired telling her no and all she does is scream and hit me (which has been addressed). if i cut it down by hours what am i supposed to do at night? i also work full time am i only suppoesed to count when i'm at home?

mamabens
by Miranda on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Ok, if she snacks start telling her not right now and walk away.What would you do if she threw that same fit over a toy in the store? Do that. No one called you a. Bad mom so I don't know where you got that.

BabyFruit Ticker

MamaCeleste0722
by Celeste on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:33 AM

No one's calling you a bad mom. I totally can relate, I nursed twin toddlers that behaved like this. I was so touched out and frustrated with them. To save my sanity, I set limits. I didn't allow them to nurse on demand because they'd nurse all day and all night. Seriously.  I would continue to work on nursing manners.  I'll share what I did:

-Distractions. Instead of saying "no", I'd keep them busy so that they'd forget. I'd avoid the place where I nursed them. For us, it was the couch. As soon as I laid down on the couch, they were like bees on honey LOL 

-Limiting sessions. I'd say "Ok, when I count to 10, nah nahs are all done!"  

-Treat tantrums like you would with anything else. Nursing is no different. 

It wasn't easy, it wasn't an overnight solution. It took time and consistency. But they went from nursing all the time to nursing 2-3 xs a day.  

It's also OK to wean, if that's what you want to do. Nursing is a two way street! 

As far as night, do you have a husband or SO that can help you? I night weaned using the Dr. Jay Gordon method. Again, it wasn't easy. There were tears, but we were there to comfort them (I say "we" because there were two) 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

lil_momma0911
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:15 AM

no one said i'm a bad mom but i feel like it for wanting to take away a source of nutrition and comfort before she's ready. yes i have a dh but he's no help as he doesn't know what to do besides distract her as long as he can. after i posted this last night i did get her to take a boob and i woke up with her still nursing but she was rubbing my nipple raw. i've tried to adjust her latch but no matter what her top teeth rub in and out on every "drink". if she was younger i would seek advice on how to adjust her latch but seeing how she will be two next month i don't think it's worth it.

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:31 AM
Snackinf is great! Someone gave me yhe idea of getting a muffin tin filled with snakcs (gryits, veggies, dips, protein choice etc. I had one out yesterday and my 2 yr old barely asked t nurse because he had access to food all day!

Quoting lil_momma0911:

she's more of a snacker. i nursed on demand and tried to night wean but that resulted in no sleep with a screaming toddler. i really can't put a number on how much she nursed.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Also, we jsut nifght weaned, usinf dr. Jay gordans method and it does take a week ro two, bu it really worked well for all three of mine. You can search for it online.

Quoting Precious333:

Snackinf is great! Someone gave me yhe idea of getting a muffin tin filled with snakcs (gryits, veggies, dips, protein choice etc. I had one out yesterday and my 2 yr old barely asked t nurse because he had access to food all day!

Quoting lil_momma0911:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN